you cant make this stuff up (record store story)

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
dude pulls up to the shop. shingaling is watching dude sitting in his car. I asked him what was up. shingling says 'that dude is doing bumps in the car!" I say "no way, are you sure it aint nasal spray or something?" "No, he is doing bumps."dude (probably about 45 yo) gets out of the car and comes in the shop. Sure enough, dude is wiping his nose every 3 seconds while he asking where the yardbirds records are. I cannot help myself and go and grab The best of Eric Clapton. I obviously start playing "cocaine" just to see if dude freaks or gets super paranoid, I am just curious to see what his reaction is. Dude starts looking around when the tune starts and goes "all right!" and starts singing along! No shit. he then comes to the counter and asks if it is for sale, and I assure him it is and it is his if he wants it. He says "yes i want that!" he then says "this is just like Hi fidelty, you put this on knowing I would buy it huh?" He then gets on his cell and is jabbering to someone. He then asks where the reggae is and wants some suggestions for some classic reggae LPs...I suggest toots "funky Kingston" and peter tosh "equal rights" and he scoops them. all the while explaiming how pleased he is with the shop and still jamming and singing "cocaine' to himself.too funny.

Comments

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    good thing you didn't have to sell him the doo doo or loosies by das-efx.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,848 Posts
    Textbook salesmanship.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Textbook salesmanship.

I use to work for that guy.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,848 Posts

Or was it this guy?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    i'm surprised clapton's greatest hits has eluded him for all these years. funny story though.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    people still do blow?

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    f- the coke,
    you let him use his cell in the store !?!

isn't that against the bossman's posted store policy !

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    this is just like Hi fidelty

you know what that means???

that means it's the highest quality fidelity.

p.s.
    i would have loved to see this guy. i bet he's got some ill stories from the 80's.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    suggestions for some classic reggae LPs

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    f- the coke,
    you let him use his cell in the store !?!

isn't that against the bossman's posted store policy !

yeah, but let it slide, cause we wanted to eavesdrop and see what dude was going on about on the phone...he was telling his buddy "They have this record and this record!" So, it was kinda like advertising...but yeah we have a no cell phone policy and permission from the owner if someone ignores us when we ask them to take it outside to play Black Metal at a very ridiculous volume to make phone chatting impossible...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    suggestions for some classic reggae LPs

lol

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I know this is preaching to the choir, but people who do this shit are the most obnoxious idiots on earth. I used to have a resturant job with a boss who used to do coke. He used to laugh at everything, do those weird "yeah, I have a catchy song in my head! Alright!" type of movements and would always tell everyone within earshot about how he's going to "make it" one day with his softcore erotica short stories. Not surprisingly, he loved Bush Sr. and Jr.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I know this is preaching to the choir, but people who do this shit are the most obnoxious idiots on earth. I used to have a resturant job with a boss who used to do coke. He used to laugh at everything, do those weird "yeah, I have a catchy song in my head! Alright!" type of movements and would always tell everyone within earshot about how he's going to "make it" one day with his softcore erotica short stories. Not surprisingly, he loved Bush Sr. and Jr.

How many drunken episodes have you seen vs. Cocaine episodes?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Why no cell phones in the store? Are people using their lifeline to call their friends to check Popsike back home?

Well for one dont want to hear someone yammering on the phone..most people are discrete but all it takes is one yahoo blabbering really loud to be really annoying. Also it cuts down on the rudeness of people checking out but yappin' on their cell phone and having to wait for them to take a break in their convo to answer our "cash/card" "do you want a bag" etc questions...if you gotta get intouch with someone about a record you are looking at, do it via text message...if ya dont, you get the tender sounds of Immortal or Adios Gringo drowning out your cell phone conversation. 99% of the folks asked to take it outside do so, only have had to crank the music twice in my best recollection

If the dude is 40 something, I assume he threw out all his vinyl when CD's took over.

people still do blow?

Ur still callin it blow?

Why no cell phones in the store? Are people using their lifeline to call their friends to check Popsike back home?

Well for one dont want to hear someone yammering on the phone..most people are discrete but all it takes is one yahoo blabbering really loud to be really annoying. Also it cuts down on the rudeness of people checking out but yappin' on their cell phone and having to wait for them to take a break in their convo to answer our "cash/card" "do you want a bag" etc questions...

200% AGREEMENT.

It's the worst in restuarants. How many times have you seen people sitting and talking on their phones through a meal and not with each other? What's the point??

I know Millie's in LA doesn't/didn't allow them and if I ever owned a resturant, I don't think I would either.

I don't even own one. Stuck in the dark ages

Same here

One of the best things I saw working in record stores was when I worked at a chain on Yonge Street (flashy and trashy major street with things like head shops, strip joints, stripper apparel stores, AM Apparel, Popeye's, HMV, jewelry stores, McDonlad's every four blocks, a huge mall, etc.).

The chain had gone into receivership and morale was low. We had about six people on the floor and I was on cash when some guy made a run for it with a pile of CDs. We had glass doors that he took for open doors. He and his (actually the store's) large pile of CDs bounced off the pane and on to the floor. No one moved an inch; he had enough time to recover, pick up every CD, open the door and run out into traffic, where he almost got hit by a car, fell down again, spilt the CDs again, picked them all back up again and disappeared down a side street. It was pure slapstick which I'm not usually a fan of, but I'm laughing my head off just remembering it and writing this.

The chain had gone into receivership and morale was low. We had about six people on the floor and I was on cash when some guy made a run for it with a pile of CDs. We had glass doors that he took for open doors. He and his (actually the store's) large pile of CDs bounced off the pane and on to the floor. No one moved an inch; he had enough time to recover, pick up every CD, open the door and run out into traffic, where he almost got hit by a car, fell down again, spilt the CDs again, picked them all back up again and disappeared down a side street. It was pure slapstick which I'm not usually a fan of, but I'm laughing my head off just remembering it and writing this.

hahahahaha! This reminds me of this time as a kid waiting in line at the casher at Warehouse to rent a VHS (yes, this is "back in the day" for me), when my mother opened the door out of politeness for some guy who racked a two foot stack of CDs. The security guard, a very flustered, unarmed 200+ pound guy, was freaking out at her: "why the hell didn't you stop him?!? He's getting away!!! Oh shit!". The thief dropped a couple, which I think were Jewel, early Foo Fighters, Hole or some crap like that

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

I know Millie's in LA doesn't/didn't allow them and if I ever owned a resturant, I don't think I would either.

There's a awesome burger joint here in Seattle, The Red Mill, that is super militant
    about the cell phones. If they catch you, all the kids working there, which
    is usually around 6-8 yell at the top of their lungs "NO CELL PHONES IN THE MILL!".
    It's rad to see somebody get caught, I've been a couple times when it happened.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    hahahahaha! This reminds me of this time as a kid waiting in line at the casher at Warehouse to rent a VHS (yes, this is "back in the day" for me), when my mother opened the door out of politeness for some guy who racked a two foot stack of CDs. The security guard, a very flustered, unarmed 200+ pound guy, was freaking out at her: "why the hell didn't you stop him?!? He's getting away!!! Oh shit!". The thief dropped a couple, which I think were Jewel, early Foo Fighters, Hole or some crap like that

Dude - your mom sucks at her security guard job. Warehouse should have fired her immediately for letting that shit occur.

Hold on - I never thought I'd live to hear the phrase

early Foo Fighters

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    but yeah we have a no cell phone policy and permission from the owner if someone ignores us when we ask them to take it outside to play Black Metal at a very ridiculous volume to make phone chatting impossible...

This is Frickin' fantastic. I need to do this sometime..............

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Hold on - I never thought I'd live to hear the phrase

early Foo Fighters

whats even funnier is that of the three names he mentioned - Hole, Jewel and Foo Fighters - the Fighters are the only ones who still seem to be hot.

as best as i can tell Jewel is fading while Courtney Love suffers from Bobby Brown/Whitney Houston Disease (she's so busy making an ass of herself in the media that everybodys forgotten she made records in the first place)

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The sole redeeming factor regarding Jewel is that she's related to Mossy Davidson. My guess is that she grew up listening to Mossy Davidson's Alaska and thought, "I can do this, too."