Troubleman Soundtrack

2»

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I wouldn't have been surprised.

Remember, these albums were soundtracks. I tend to think of albums like this as movie scores FIRST and the artist's album SECOND. Common sense should tell you that these albums weren't going to be typical of the rest of the artist's output. I know that's saying a lot with boundary-pushers like Marvin Gaye who raised the bar with each new album, but even then...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh...everyone is just so sanctimonious and snug around here.

sensitive thugs need hugs?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The littleness of dudes is on full display in this thread...

"I just discovered this amazing Marvin Gaye album called Trouble Man!"

"'T Plays it Cool' is Marvin's best song!"

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    Yeah, the cover should have given it away.

I agree totally, soundtracks are a breed apart on which you can expect anything and you should check them out no matter who the artist is (okay, there are limits to that rule). I mean, one of my favorite soundtracks, no, two of my favorite soundtracks are from Mikis Theodorakis, a guy you wouln't expect psych from (The Day The Fish Came Out) or alienating jazz (Five Miles to Midnight). These are highly recommended, although you will not find the latter.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    by chance has anyone read Michael Eric Dyson's biog on Gaye?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

You snug?

I think it's less a biography than a "meditatation" and, judging by the rest of Dyson's books, I wouldn't recommend anybody wasting the time.

I think it's less a biography than a "meditatation" and, judging by the rest of Dyson's books, I wouldn't recommend anybody wasting the time.

he concludes the book by making a parallel between Gaye and R Kelley... An entire chapter comparing the two.

I was a tad disappointed.

• The littleness of dudes is on full display in this thread...

You are so advanced in your largeness! All the snobs are coming out eh?

he concludes the book by making a parallel between Gaye and R Kelley... An entire chapter comparing the two.

That sounds like my man.

Check his Tupac book for a study in advanced male groupiedom.

Anybody seen the movie? Hows it rate with the regular blaxploitation fare? (i.e. pretty bad)

One of the better ones, an a mystery as to why it has remained unavailale all these years.

Another less seen blaxploitation film is Top of the Heap, which is one of the best. It has a good soundtrack too.

Also:

'Dyson's ruminations hit shaky ground when he declares Gaye's shooting death at the hands of his father a suicidal acting out of an "Afroedipal" family drama.'

"Afroedipal", along with "empathy belly", should also be used more often.

Also:

'Dyson's ruminations hit shaky ground when he declares Gaye's shooting death at the hands of his father a suicidal acting out of an "Afroedipal" family drama.'

yep, I recall.

I was also surprised to see the word "lockstep" in print.

• I prefer the title track for the long haul.

Also:

yep, I recall.

I was also surprised to see the word "lockstep" in print.

usage:[/b] "It was as if Joe's murder of his father played out in inverse Afropedial lockstep with the death of Marvin Gaye"

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    A debate of all things:

Faux v. Dyson

All it takes is a phone call:

"Hey, Professor Dyson! Remember me from your MLK class at DePaul? Yeah...cool, well I know this fellow who says he wants to battle you. Are you game?"

I would pay - I WOULD PAY to see this happen.

A debate of all things:

Faux v. Dyson

"Hey, Professor Dyson! Remember me from your MLK class at DePaul? Yeah...cool, well I know this fellow who says he wants to battle you. Are you game?"

Oh, don't get it twisted: I like Dyson as a public speaker/debater, I just think his books are weak.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    A debate of all things:

Faux v. Dyson

Oh, don't get it twisted: I like Dyson as a public speaker/debater, I just think his books are weak.

If you scared, say you scared.

He would body you with his swift wordplay and Afropedial lockstep.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts

Has anybody seen the movie Marvin Gaye was in? It was made in the late 60's (I think) maybe 70 by the latest. It's some biker flick. I only caught some of it on TV but I'd like to check that out.

This movie sounds really familier, I think I have it, although the Marvin Gaye connection never really went through. If I do it's on some blaxplo comp dvd I have and the title must have been changed. If it's the movie I have, the score is beautius and the final fight scene is dope. I will check when I get home.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

really people still need to discuss abt trouble man ???

an who says it was all by Marvin is dead wrong.....just read how many arrangers were involved .......near one different fo each track.........the people that write the charts, can't be overlooked in the process of makin an album like trouble man.............

• T PLays it Cool is perhaps his best work....

This track was made with a 4 bar tape drumloop instead of live drums,...kinda like hiphop style production but in 1972,....fresh huh!

I was just about to drop this nuggett. sorry to hijack but i think there are a few other tracks out there that do this but none come to mind. someone maybe mentioned we're doin it by eddie bo?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Can ANYONE clear up the rumor that Marvin played everything on "T Plays It Cool"?

I know he didn't do that entire album by himself, but I've heard for years that he did all of "T" over a tape loop of him on the drums.

Someone has to know...

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

His book dissing Cosby is hot, though.

-e

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

You are so advanced in your largeness!

AYYYY YOOOO [/b]

2). I saw Dyson on C-SPAN2 a coupld of weekends ago and dude starting quoting Tupac AT LENGTH. I was like "oh god, make him stop". I'm hesitantly curious of what dude has in his music collection.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Nrich has one of the coolest "Troubleman" pieces of memoribilia...he has a lifesize cutout of Marvin from the album cover, just him chillin in the chair. We were at an estate sale in Fort Worth coppin 45s and someone said there was music memoribilia in the garage and there sat Marvin...Nrich won the rock paper scissors contest and went home with it.