The Specials vd The (English) Beat

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central

I have been thinking about posting this for a while because my kids like to dance to "I Just Can't Stop It" after dinner every night. The Specials reunion post got me off my duff to do it. I'm going to throw in for the The Beat mostly because I think they wrote songs and have a sound that transcended the Two-Tone movement. In other words their music is more lasting. I realize that the Specials had a rawer sound and were probably better live which I imagine will appeal more to the soul strut massive. Just my 2 cents.Just a side note. Listening to that record you realize how much digital/hip-hop production has totally changed how records today sound in comparison. If you are unfamiliar, get familiar.Is the English version of "I Just Can't .." different from the US? I thought I saw this the other day.

Comments

• I think the first Special album is genius, but over the long haul I'd go with the Beat. Back in the ay I used to have an IRS cassette 'Best of' ('What Is Beat?')that had a ton of bonus material (that wasn't included when the CD came out) that I played until it fell apart.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I have been thinking about posting this for a while because my kids like to dance to "I Just Can't Stop It" after dinner every night. The Specials reunion post got me off my duff to do it. I'm going to throw in for the The Beat mostly because I think they wrote songs and have a sound that transcended the Two-Tone movement. In other words their music is more lasting. I realize that the Specials had a rawer sound and were probably better live which I imagine will appeal more to the soul strut massive. Just my 2 cents.

Just a side note. Listening to that record you realize how much digital production has totally changed how records today sound in comparison. If you are unfamiliar, get familiar.

Is the English version of "I Just Can't .." different from the US? I thought I saw this the other day.

hmmm....
    your talking about a political, social and cultural force and touchstone for a whole multiracial generation of disaffected UK youth versus a decent pop band with a handful of hits

yeah I vote for the Beat!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    ha ha. On the day Maggie's bony claws were finally prised from the door of No.10 I played the Beat's 'Stand Down Margaret' on repeat out of my window at full volume for about three hours.

" I see no joy, I see only sorrow, I see no sign of your bright new tomorrow so stand down, Margaret, stand down, please, stand down Margaret."

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    The Specials win here hands down, but the Beat were great too. For one thing, they were one of the only later generation ska bands to feature a decent saxophone player.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Two of the biggest bands in my personal mind garden, it's impossible to pick one over the other. The Beat is for happy or mellow moods, Specials for pissed off, rowdy occasions. They are both way up there on my "Concerts I Wish I Could Have Seen" list.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    At the time when I was in school and these bands were putting out hits, I always found The Beat's output a bit too melancholy. "Mirror In The Bathroom" is like some junkie's footnote.

I vote SPECIALS. They got down with some Liquidator moves.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

I vote SPECIALS. They got down with some Liquidator moves.

The Beat had 2 Prince Buster songs and a Pioneers song on the first LP, they came with the authentic stuff too.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The Specials win here hands down, but the Beat were great too. For one thing, they were one of the only later generation ska bands to feature a decent saxophone player.

The sax player used to play with Laurel Aitken, D Dekker and Prince Buster.

The Specials are my pick, too.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I never saw the 2-Tone era Specials, although I once saw them opening for the Clash, when they'd changed their name from the Coventry Automatics to the Special AKA mid-tour. I did see the Beat, however, and they were an incredible live band. Their records always seemed to have a more left-of-centre pop sensibility which set them apart from the by-rote ska revivalists that rode the coat-tails of the whole 2-Tone thing. I don't really want to express a preference, because I think both were great bands, but I think the Specials have had a more enduring significance.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Saxa v Rico?

In 1980 my roommates were blasting these. At first I thought it really sucked. Sounded like sped up reggae, sounded like they were making a joke out of reggae. I was offended. But they wouldn't let up and I am glad to say I came around.

One roommate knew all the lyrics, which was cool for me it was hard to make out the lyrics. He learned to play Much To Much Much To Young on the piano and I accompanied him on guitar and other roommate on clarinet. Nothing you ever want to listen to.

We went and saw the Beat at the old Euphoria Tavern.

Both had 2 great plus one good lp. I'm not picking favorites.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    the specials in a photo finish.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

As much as I like The Beat, it has to be The Specials, just for the sheer number of times I have played their first LP. And the Ghost Town 12.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The Specials for me, only just though & probbly more for personal reasons than the betterness of one over the other. I love their first two LPs & the rawness they contain, but the Beat also have great tracks, but maybe found their slightly more polished, pop niche a bit quicker. I saw both these bands on reunion shows recently & they were both just as great as each other.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Ghost Town

A Frickin' classic.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    I never saw the 2-Tone era Specials, although I once saw them opening for the Clash, when they'd changed their name from the Coventry Automatics to the Special AKA mid-tour. I did see the Beat, however, and they were an incredible live band. Their records always seemed to have a more left-of-centre pop sensibility which set them apart from the by-rote ska revivalists that rode the coat-tails of the whole 2-Tone thing. I don't really want to express a preference, because I think both were great bands, but I think the Specials have had a more enduring significance.

Has anyone listened to this? Its basically the demo tapes that the Specials shopped around before their sound had really coalesced. Its interesting to hear the disparate elements (punk, reggae, ska, rockabilly, etc.) that somehow came together so perfectly on the self titled Specials album. At this stage they were still doing a little of each in different songs. The ska revival was definitely not just a retro thing, it was ska blended with all the contemporary sounds that were swirling around in the vacum left behind by punk.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Ghost Town

A Frickin' classic.

The B-Side to that, Friday Night, Saturday Morning, is one of the greatest songs about going out at the weekend ever written.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Ghost Town

A Frickin' classic.

The B-Side to that, Friday Night, Saturday Morning, is one of the greatest songs about going out at the weekend ever written.

& I saw Terry Hall doing this live about 2 months ago. & it was , and thats why The Specials beat The Beat.