San Fransciso...What's Up?

Comments

• Anytime a thread about Groove Merchant pops up = 5 Stars. Thanks for this! I've been stuck in traffic court and city hall all day so this definitely made the time go by a lot quicker. I guess rolling your eyes does that.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    Cas hangs out at this club called The End Up, on the disco night.

Go holler at him.

haha!

only when king moist is "djing".

• man, f the dumb. I would go to a gay disco night. But I woudn't because I know my place.

just to blow your provincial-ass minds:

Catch me many a thursday at Luka's in Oakland for a really awesome house night aka "the gay/transgender/lesbian night".

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Cas hangs out at this club called The End Up, on the disco night.

Go holler at him.

someone bump the thread where archaic actually admits to going there on rave night and missing out on some blowed show as a result.

and yo, don't you collect disco records?

I would go to a gay disco night. But I woudn't

I know it's confusing, but dude aren't you supposed to work out these issues in high school?

• Cas hangs out at this club called The End Up, on the disco night.

Go holler at him.

someone bump the thread where archaic actually admits to going there on rave night and missing out on some blowed show as a result.

AND

FLIPS 'EM AT SLIGHTLY STEEP PRICES TO TEURISTS-AZZ TEURISTS WITH A TONY HUMPHRIES SOUNDTRACK

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

No, not really - I only own a handful of 12"s. Pause.

I do go to plenty of mixed company disco nights. Just funnin' at the holmeseses expenses.

• I would go to a gay disco night. But I woudn't

I know it's confusing, but dude aren't you supposed to work out these issues in high school?

^^^^^
    SEZ THE DUDE WHO'S BEEN CAUGHT ROCKING SOME UBER-SUSPECT TOIGHT SHIRTZ AT MILK.

TRUE STORY: Patrick ran into the shop with a copy of disco anthem "Let No Man Put Asunder" and was like "YO DID I COME UP??"

Yes homie. Yes you did.

• TRUE STORY: Patrick ran into the shop with a copy of disco anthem "Let No Man Put Asunder" and was like "YO DID I COME UP??"

Yes homie. Yes you did.

did I f'reals? All I know is that was probally one of best records I've caught in a minute. Like I said, I can't decided which side is better.

the condition of 12'' is VG-

• cascas 1,484 Posts

a handful of 12"s.

^^my brother-n-law's favorite thing to collect^^

enough.

welcome to sf, stacks!

I would go to a gay disco night. But I woudn't

^^^^^
    SEZ THE DUDE WHO'S BEEN CAUGHT ROCKING SOME UBER-SUSPECT TOIGHT SHIRTZ AT MILK.

I appreciate that you think my gear is tight.

and really I can't front: I usually let your girl pick my shirt before we go out. it's one of the little things I do for her to make her think I care.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    so many good restaurant and record store and tourist attraction suggestions in here.
    the mind boggles.

stacks- hit up SFMOMA and the Legion of Honor if you are in to that sort of thing-- they're top notch.

that was probally one of best records I've caught in a minute.

It's a phenomenal record.

• Cross the bridge into Oakland and head to around 98th/International. Trust me.

Get a burrito at El Farolito on Mission almost at 24th or don't.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

I've never been to New Orleans.

Just went there in February, and it's a lil' too gully for my (old) tastes. N'awlins has had a rough time of it, and too honestly, it harkened me back to Milwaukee in that most Black folks down there are broke as hell . Cool and interesing place to visit, but there is no way I could LIVE there. A colleague down there told me that Tulane planned on recruiting me this past fall (before knowing I moved to Rutgers). T**i downright despises the place. She already said she's not going the annual SIOP conference next year (the conference I'm attending in San Fran week) because it will be held in N'awlins.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

^This is an extremely lame post.^

Your opinion is your opinion and I don't mean to step on that. But to act like you're offering some keen insight by identifying post-apocalypse New Orleans as "too gully" just might say more about you than it does New Orleans.

What did you expect? Ambrosia-lined bathroom stalls?

Seriously, it's one thing to come away from New Orleans being able to critique its corrupt ways. But to hate the place to the point of refusing any chance to indulge in its free-flowing lagniappe? That is not only rare but also

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Wow, as usual Harvey is off his rocker.

San Francisco is a beautiful city and you have no reason to feel unsafe during the day unless you are out at Bayview/Hunters Point, which will contaminate your lungs and where the poverty and violence is really tough to witness.

The Groove Merchant will treat you well and Chris and Josh are amazingly knowledgeable about music and records.

Rookys is a good place to buy clean copies of common and good 45s. But if you're trying to just enjoy your time, there's no need to deal with it.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Wow, as usual Harvey is off his rocker.

Just be lucky I ultimately decided against posting the youtube of a dude in San Francisco shooting up into his open arm sore.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    any chance to indulge in its free-flowing lagniappe?

the fuck is that...some new type of down south dessert?

"i dip my strawberry in your lagniappe!"

how the fudge did this turn into a new orleans thread?

• San Francisco is a beautiful city and you have no reason to feel unsafe during the day unless you are out at Bayview/Hunters Point

Or Market @ Sleazy 6th.

1pm on a Tuesday (2006): I take a quick trip to Pearl (15 minutes tops) -- come back to my car with both passenger side windows busted out and about 8 people within spitting distance -- smoking crack.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    ^^^^^^YUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

this is exactly why i am moving there in a few months, its easier for me to get my drugs.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I don't know if you're a fan of pork but the chicharron tacos at La Palma (24th and Florida) are one of the greatest things this city has to offer. No seating, don't bother on a sunday morning, the line is out the door, but it's worth it. Fuck all the amateur spots, La Palma serves shit up proper.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Your potshots really are pointless

Just trying to figure out where you stand. INVEST YOURSELF

And I mean, you act like you wouldn't dish it out the same way to some dude trying to critique your city from the comfy reaches of the outskirt counties.

I did my time living in downtown Berkeley, right above Arinel's Pizza...where I spent more time providing for street people than complaining about them.

But in retrospect, damn...that was an entirely fucked up situation having to be confronted with drug addiction at every turn like that, all the time.

I certainly see it here in Austin on the regular as well...but mostly confined to certain areas like near 12th and Chicon or downtown by the Salvation Army center. It's nowhere near every-Frickin'-where like it was in the Bay back then.

offer the dude some places to eat/shop/chill or shut your facehole.

Fine...eat the best pastrami sandwich anywhere at M&L Market.

Also, the tomato beef chow mein at Hong Kong is mad delicious.

Those 2 spots are within half a block of each other near the intersection of Church Street and Market.

But really, my recommendation is to go to the beach down at Half Moon Bay or go for a hike up at Point Reyes.

Point Reyes is a good recommendation. Also I must rep Tilden Park which is just over the bridge in Berkeley and has miles and miles of gorgeous walk/bike/jog trails.

If you do end up in Berkeley I recommend Juan's on Carleton and 8th on the West Side for Mexican food, or King Yen on College & Webster for Chinese. I don't really keep up with the new restaurants since I left but if I wanted to take my wife to a very nice dinner I would go to Lalime's on Gilman.

Point Reyes is a good recommendation. Also I must rep Tilden Park which is just over the bridge in Berkeley and has miles and miles of gorgeous walk/bike/jog trails.

If you do end up in Berkeley I recommend Juan's on Carleton and 8th on the West Side for Mexican food, or King Yen on College & Webster for Chinese. I don't really keep up with the new restaurants since I left but if I wanted to take my wife to a very nice dinner I would go to Lalime's on Gilman.

In Berkeley, my favorite spots were always:

1. Salerno (on Shattuck) for pizza but really for their incredible house salad.

2. A soccer-mom spot or not, the tacos Manchamateles at Picante (on San Pablo) are awesome.

And hell yes on Tilden Park.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Cosign on Tilden Park.

To rep B-Town for a second, La Mediterraanee on College Ave. makes great Middle Eastern food. Zachary's is the TRUTH when it comes to pizza and is worth visiting. For Mexican food I'd personally take Gordos or Picante over Juan's, but for that real schitt you gotta get over to Fruitvale. King Yen has gone downhill (sad cause I grew up around the block) but Little Shin Shin in Oakland is a solid choice. Plearn on University makes good Thai food as well.

Lalime's is real nice, but Rivoli or Chez Panisse are better. I also highly recommend Ajanta for some amazing Indian food at a classy spot.

Chez Panisse are better.

Oh yes...and my experiences there say eat upstairs where you can pick and choose what you want rather than downstairs where you have to stick with a pre-determined set of courses.

Yeah thing is getting into Chez P is difficult, I am usually able to get into Lalime's on shorter notice. Sad about King Yen as I grew up eating that too.

As far as Juan's I prefer it for the full meal/sit down dedal, rather than take out which I def hit Gordo's for... I grew up eating Picante but imo it fell off from the old days.

I cut for Plearn too.