San Fransciso...What's Up?

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Hey San Fran Strutters,Wife, the pooch, and I will be in your fair city from Wednesday (April 9th) to Saturday (April 12th; afterwards, we're heading down to Napa Valley for a couple days). During this time, I would like to coppeth some records. Please hit on the PMs for some suggestions, and if possible, exchanging of cellphone numeros. Also, please point out some good grub spots. Good lookin' out in advance.Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    i heard a few strutters are headed down to the bridge to put up a banner or something this weekend...

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    doesn't seem like any of them are awake yet.
    Record spot, which has become the only spot I hit regularly in SF-- nothing else comes close:

Groove Merchant
    687 Haight St
    San Francisco, CA 94117
    (415) 252-5766

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Get some mexican food

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    Hey San Fran Strutters,

Wife, the pooch, and I will be in your fair city from Wednesday (April 9th) to Saturday (April 12th; afterwards, we're heading down to Napa Valley for a couple days). During this time, I would like to coppeth some records. Please hit on the PMs for some suggestions, and if possible, exchanging of cellphone numeros. Also, please point out some good grub spots. Good lookin' out in advance.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

what up!

I've actually gotten back into the record game...got some new shit...plus, will be going digging this week...pm sent...hit me up!

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Groove Merchant is a must visit. Even if you don't pick anything up, just take a look around. You'll definitely find at least one record you want.

Other spots that I feel are worth checking out are:

Grooves - which is on Market at Octavia
    1797 Market St
    San Francisco, CA 94103

-good turnover rate there and the prices are generally fair. He'll price some shit i'd never buy at higher prices and then the random little scores i get are usually cheaper. You can find lots of oddball local and random stuff here.

If you want to look through some 45s, go to Rooky's on Haight.
    448 Haight St, San Francisco, CA

Then there is always Amoeba at the end of Haight.

All of these stores are near eachother, so you can make a day of it. You can make one straight path if you go from Grooves to Rooky's to Groove Merchant to Amoeba.

Don't eat Mexican on Haight St. Don't eat on Haight St at all if you can. It's overpriced and nothing is really that great. Go to the Mission area. If you just want to look around for a spot to eat try roaming around the area between 16th St and 18th St between Mission and Valencia.

Another area to check out is Clement. There are a few restaurants over there (including the hotly SS debated, possibly for white people, Burma Superstar) and there is a book store with lots of books and some vinyl (Green Apple).

Those areas, Haight, the Mission, and Clement are going to be more low key in relation to downtown SF. You'll have a hard time parking, but it won't be like driving and parking downtown. More neighborhoody, but still heavily trafficked.

dude...really? you're sending him to rooky's??? that place blows...imo. My bullshit box of 45s for sale is the best shit there....

agreed on grooves...I just got a afro funk/soul lp there....facemelter with breaks galore....but, it's a total hit or miss, you could go there and not find anything too. But, if you do, it will be odd, and more than likely cheap...

• I co-sign rooky's, but I rarely check the 45's. Just the LP's.

Food....I think the dozens of food related S.F. threads should result in some finds. It really depends on where you're staying in S.F. and what food you want. You really can't loose.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    also- if you want to take wifey out to a nice dinner, there's a couple spots i've been to lately that are good:
    Scala's bistro in the Sir Francis Drake hotel is good, and if you make reservations, you can hit up the lounge on the top floor for some dranks afterward.
    http://www.sirfrancisdrake.com/sfddini/index.html

in the mission, i have been to Maverick a couple times-- it's a mid-level take on southern food with good wine pairings, cozy place, great service, etc. (shouts to dj anna and cas-tastic for putting me up on this one)
    http://www.sfmaverick.com/

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    KingMost's house is where I go when I need a good massage with a happy ending.

• KingMost's house is where I go when I need a good massage with a happy ending.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Go to the Mission area. If you just want to look around for a spot to eat buy heroin and witness more open-skin junkie sores than you could ever imagine [/b] try roaming around the area between 16th St and 18th St between Mission and Valencia.

I co-sign rooky's, but I rarely check the 45's. Just the LP's.

Food....I think the dozens of food related S.F. threads should result in some finds. It really depends on where you're staying in S.F. and what food you want. You really can't loose.

if you like veggie spots...I have some good recommendations as well..

Om, you're jaded. Dude is coming in from out of town wanting to look through some vinyl and I think those spots are the better ones to check out. I agree that Grooves can be hit or miss, but so could Rooky's or Amoeba.

Om's got all kinds of 45s, so Rooky's is old news to him. If you want to check out some 45s and some Lps, just pop in on your way to Groove Merchant. You're probably not going to pull some $500 45 out of there, but you may find something you've been looking for.

Go to the Mission area. If you just want to look around for a spot to eat buy heroin and witness more open-skin junkie sores than you could ever imagine [/b] try roaming around the area between 16th St and 18th St between Mission and Valencia.

Mission street should maybe be avoided, but 16th and Valencia is not bad at all. Hipster central.

When was the last time you were here Harvey? More open sore junkies than you could ever imagine? That's a lot. It's San Francisco, not Napa. Some are to be expected.

Mission street should maybe be avoided, but 16th and Valencia is not bad at all. Hipster central.

When was the last time you were here Harvey? More open sore junkies than you could ever imagine? That's a lot. It's San Francisco, not Napa.

It's been 5 years now. But for 3 years I worked on Church Street and would come through the 16th Street BART station every weekday. Shit was gruesome.

tommy...I'm not jaded...I'm being realistic...why have dude waste his time at rooky's (which it's a lot of crappy 45s to thumb)...when he could go elsewhere...if he's looking for 45s he'd have more fun hitting up justin, jesse or me.

I wasn't hating on grooves...I recommended it too.

Groove Merchant, I didn't feel like I needed to say anything about, cuz, it's well known what you'll get there (plus, Chris is one of the most knowledgeable and friendliest dudes). Amoeba of course is a crap shoot...but, condsidering Rooky's also rock Ebay, it's a better bet too.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I would recommend the route Controller 7 said. Groove Merchant is your one absolute, positive must-check-out spot. But as long as you're in that neck of the woods, you should also check out Rooky's, which is only a couple blocks away.

Also, I don't know if you're trying to get in the clurb at all, but Free Funk Friday featuring Vinnie Esparza and the Strut's own peacefulrotation/B-Cause is going down on Friday the 11th (with guest DJ yours truly) at Elbo Room.

tommy...I'm not jaded...I'm being realistic...why have dude waste his time at rooky's (which it's a lot of crappy 45s to thumb)...when he could go elsewhere...if he's looking for 45s he'd have more fun hitting up justin, jesse or me.

Novel concept: maybe Rooky's offers something (beyond 45's) that other stores or private dealer dorks can't.

YES!! ROOKIES OFFERS JUNKIES!!

I was teasing you Om.

All I am saying is that he's coming in from out of town. If you were asking someone about spots to hit up in a new city and someone recommended a store with a lot of 45s that was within walking distance of other stores you are going to, wouldn't you want to at least pop in and check it out. He could pop in and be like "dude, this place is weak. I make ashtrays out of better 45s than these" and walk out. I think if you're going to that area and you don't live in SF, might as well stop in and check it out. You never know what he's looking for.

I didn't think you were hating on Grooves. Just agreeing that it can be hit or miss. Every store can. I think those 4 are on an easy path and are worth checking out, even if you find nothing.

And yes, if you want some quality selections without having to flip through some duds, hit up some of these guys on the PM. Nice guys too.

Hello, children of the Bay Area. This may come as a shocking surprise to you, but in other urban areas across the US...it is not necessarily normal to have a drug-addicted person in desparate need of some sort of help posted up at the doorstep of every single business anywhere.

YES!! ROOKIES OFFERS JUNKIES!!

thanks johnny....my response was more long winded...and sardonic...I like your's much better...haha

all you out of towners/bay area transplants sound shook.

There aren't junkies on every door step. This ain't hamsterdam dudes. Nobody is offering any suggestions, just knocking holes in the previous suggestions. is SF a total bust that should be avoided? Sounds like it.

Have your driver take you to the doorstep of Groove Merchant, but make sure the coast is clear before you get out. Then run inside. You might catch a stray needle if you're not careful.

Hello, children of the Bay Area. This may come as a shocking surprise to you, but in other urban areas across the US...it is not necessarily normal to have a drug-addicted person in desparate need of some sort of help posted up at the doorstep of every single business anywhere.

Since you lived in Lafayette back then, I'm sure you do know about junkies. The meth craze is for real out there. Thankfully 16th/Mission isn't solely populated with junkies. At least, not anymore.

Probably around the time when you were living in Lafayette (93-95 or so, right?) I was living on 19th & Oakwood and I walked down Mission from 19th to 16th twice a day. And there were A LOT of junkies back then. Hookers, hustlers, gangsters, head cases... you name it.

We could weigh the benefits of gentrification (and I doubt you'd be on the same side of that argument) but suffice to say I'm happy that there are a lot fewer junkies and gangbangers and hoes hanging around the neighborhood.

WHERE ARE THESE MAGICAL URBAN AREAS WITHOUT DRUGS AND JUNKIES??

all you out of towners/bay area transplants sound shook.

There aren't junkies on every door step. This ain't hamsterdam dudes. Nobody is offering any suggestions, just knocking holes in the previous suggestions. is SF a total bust that should be avoided? Sounds like it.

Have your driver take you to the doorstep of Groove Merchant, but make sure the coast is clear before you get out. Then run inside. You might catch a stray needle if you're not careful.

I know, it's cool to have to step over junkies every day when you leave your apartment bulilding. It builds fortitude...especially for kids.

In fact, it's the ideal situation. I recommend it for all.

• Catch Controller7 steppin' over broken balut shells every day.

I lived at 16th right below Church for 6 years. I never stepped over a junkie at my door. I had a gate, son. There were random junkies/homeless people in the area, but isn't this in every city?

You have a such a bleak view of the world. SF is not a farm. Everything is in extremes in Harv's world.

All I am saying is that this guy started a post asking for suggestions for his trip to SF. You guys are making it sound like Max Headroom with wack records.

San Francisco is beautiful.

Junkies and all

Since you lived in Lafayette back then, I'm sure you do know about junkies. The meth craze is for real out there. Thankfully 16th/Mission isn't solely populated with junkies. At least, not anymore.

Probably around the time when you were living in Lafayette (93-95 or so, right?) I was living on 19th & Oakwood and I walked down Mission from 19th to 16th twice a day. And there were A LOT of junkies back then. Hookers, hustlers, gangsters, head cases... you name it.

We could weigh the benefits of gentrification (and I doubt you'd be on the same side of that argument) but suffice to say I'm happy that there are a lot fewer junkies and gangbangers and hoes hanging around the neighborhood.

WHERE ARE THESE MAGICAL URBAN AREAS WITHOUT DRUGS AND JUNKIES??

Your potshots really are pointless.

But yeah, the Bay Area has a unique way of dealing with junkies and the mentally disturbed. On one hand, I'm glad that there are supposedly fewer being institutionalized over their personal problems. But on another hand, just leaving them to roam the streets like that is foul.

Your potshots really are pointless

Just trying to figure out where you stand. INVEST YOURSELF

And I mean, you act like you wouldn't dish it out the same way to some dude trying to critique your city from the comfy reaches of the outskirt counties.