Did The Stooges have "hits"?

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Wasn't "The Passenger" somewhat of a hit? I know it's solo Iggy but still.

And "Down In The Street" is THE RECORD to play out.

• And "Down In The Street" is THE RECORD to play out.

VINDICATED!

PS This thread is like King Most kryptonite. He wasn't raised like that.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Where did you get that info from, BTW?

I think it was the Bomp forums... I'd read somewhere before that chain stores and such had problems w/the LP.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

And "Down In The Street" is THE RECORD to play out.

I think in the UK 'The Passenger', 'Lust for Life' and 'Sister Midnight' were underground 'hits', but these have only recently(over the last 10-12 years) become welcome streams of income to the one Iggy.

'Hits' is something that clearly means many things to many people.

hey Cos!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Check this out:

The first LP starts off with Brother J.C. Crawford doing a rap
    introduction to the band in a style he copped off James Brown's MC. I
    think it's him that says "Its time to kick out the jams
    motherfuckers" which was changed for the single release to 'brothers
    and sisters' but left intact on the LP version, until various record
    stores refused to stock the LP because of this and it was withdrawn.

This guy is wrong, it was Rob Tyner that said it, at least
    according to him in the interview published in the most recent
    Ugly Things - he also says they got him to record the "Brothers
    and Sisters" edit by having them record a radio spot for the record
    and having him say the line then, and then turned around and used
    it for the censored version. Also, although the LP was re-released
    in a censored version, and kept in print for some time, the MC5 were
    supposedly dropped by Elektra due to the fallout from the controversy,
    although this may be a romantic version pushed by the band that ignores
    the element of disappointing album sales in the equation, as well.

PS This thread is like King Most kryptonite. He wasn't raised like that.

RAISED LIKE THAT

My dad gave me the uncensored 1st Kick Out the Jams he picked up when it was brand new

it for the censored version.

That story is hilarious!

I guess I shouldn't have have posted that guy's commentary since its evidently so erroneous, I was just looking for something about the album being withdrawn and thought it was interesting that he happened to mention the Velvets too...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Check this out:

The controversy that got the MC5 dropped is that the MC5 took out an ad in the Detroit paper calling for a boycott of the largest department store in town because they refused to stock the LP because of the profanity on it. The MC5 put the elektra logo in the ad and the department store refused to carry any Elektra product until the MC5 were repermanded for the ad somehow...Elektra didnt want to take the risk of this kinda shit ahppening again so they dropped them.

And yes, it is Rob Tyner saying it...not JC Crawford...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Check this out:

Nah, I believe it was the controversy.

If it made #30 in the album charts, then SOMEBODY was buying that record. That might be grounds to drop an artist from the stable now, but that was considered respectable back then. Besides, Elektra was one of the most artist-friendly labels around, at the time; they really would have had to fuck up to get booted from the company. And I think that's what they did; evidently they, or somebody, distributed these stickers that said "Fuck Hudson's" and plastered them all over the main store that refused to sell the LP.

The stickers had the Elektra logo on them (even though it wasn't sanctioned by the company).

Hudson's then removed all Elektra product from their store. Elektra soon removed the MC 5 from the label altogether.

I think in the UK 'The Passenger', 'Lust for Life' and 'Sister Midnight' were underground 'hits', but these have only recently(over the last 10-12 years) become welcome streams of income to the one Iggy.

'Hits' is something that clearly means many things to many people.

...and while those songs may have been POPULAR, they likely weren't HITS. At least not in the AM Gold-K-Tel-Top 40 sense of the word.

(Although Iggy did make the US Top 30 in 1990 with "Candy"...)

The controversy that got the MC5 dropped is that the MC5 took out an ad in the Detroit paper calling for a boycott of the largest department store in town because they refused to stock the LP because of the profanity on it. The MC5 put the elektra logo in the ad and the department store refused to carry any Elektra product until the MC5 were repermanded for the ad somehow...Elektra didnt want to take the risk of this kinda shit ahppening again so they dropped them.

Right, now that you say that, I think that story was in the UT
    interview as well. Good reading for anyone into the MC5.

• queequegqueequeg 65 Posts
    Does anyone have mp3 or could make an mp3 of that MC5 single version of Kick Out the Jams? I've wanted a single-edit of that forever, because the LP version obviously continues live straight into the next track.

the next track.

"Come Together" shreds.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

...Iggy Pop seemed to do well enough solo (a la Lou Reed) that people began to re-assess their old groups' importance in The Canon.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    (The VU LP was withdrawn due to that whip guy suing them over his pic appearing on the sleeve cuz he was broke, however... so they had to pull it off the market and redo the sleeve w/o him - Malanga, I think?)

It was "actor" Eric Emerson.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Eye pokes, pie hits, ear pulling...the whole nine

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    "down on the street" was the only stooges song released by electra as a 45, promo only... whether it did any good for radio play, i dunno...

"down on the street" was the only stooges song released by electra as a 45, promo only... whether it did any good for radio play, i dunno...

well, time has told the story - it wasnt a hit and it didnt make the charts (despite a boss organ overdub), so theres your answer

"down on the street" was the only stooges song released by electra as a 45, promo only...

Released in the US as a double-sided promo, and in Canada with "1969" on the flip.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    "down on the street" was the only stooges song released by electra as a 45, promo only...

Released in the US as a double-sided promo, and in Canada with "1969" on the flip.

I DID NOT KNOW THAT

A friend of mine in Mineapolis found one of these at an estate sale in Lake Elmo, MN like 3 weeks ago.

He said he walked down to the basement, and there was a small stack of 45s. Right on top. Fifty Cents. SOLD!

• Does anyone have mp3 or could make an mp3 of that MC5 single version of Kick Out the Jams? I've wanted a single-edit of that forever, because the LP version obviously continues live straight into the next track.

I'll be posting at one of my blogs in the next few weeks (it's the 'brothers and sisters' 45).

As far as I've been able to tell, the chronology is this:

Elektra released the uncensored LP, which had 'Motherfuckers!' in 'Kick Out the Jams', but also similar profanity in Sinclair's liners. Hudsons department stores objected to the liner notes and refused to carry the record. MC5 took out the 'Fuck Hudsons!' ad in the local underground paper, prominently featuring the Elektra logo (without the knowledge or approval of Elektra). Hudsons then pretty much said 'fuck Elektra' and refused to stock any of the label's product. This is what got them dropped. They were picked up quickly by Atlantic, who unfortunately saddled them with Jon Landau as a producer.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Lust for Life is being used in a commercial for a resort starring the most vanilla family ever here. Seeing the mother doing cyclefit to those drums bums me right out.

Not hits, but VU's Sweet Jane and RocknRoll get radio play on the classic rock station here.

Not hits, but VU's Sweet Jane and RocknRoll get radio play on the classic rock station here.

This would have been unthinkable in the mid-80s, at least in most American cities. But the cream sometimes does rise to the top (and becomes the next generation's boring classic rock, no matter how good it is).

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Lust for Life is being used in a commercial for a resort starring the most vanilla family ever here. Seeing the mother doing cyclefit to those drums bums me right out.

Are they playing the VU versions or the Lou Reed "Rock 'N Roll Animal" versions??

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    during the 96 Olympics, Nike used "Raw Power" in their ads

they would have the guy appraoching the starting line sync'd with "Im a street walkin cheetah"...funny how these companies use songs about drugs (street walkin cheetah refered to this jacket Iggy liked with a cheetah on it he liked to wear while he snorted heroin..."Lust for Life" was about getting off heroin) to sell atheltic gear and family vacations

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Are they playing the VU versions or the Lou Reed "Rock 'N Roll Animal" versions??

!!

Does anyone have mp3 or could make an mp3 of that MC5 single version of Kick Out the Jams? I've wanted a single-edit of that forever, because the LP version obviously continues live straight into the next track.

I'll be posting at one of my blogs in the next few weeks (it's the 'brothers and sisters' 45).

Elektra released the uncensored LP, which had 'Motherfuckers!' in 'Kick Out the Jams', but also similar profanity in Sinclair's liners. Hudsons department stores objected to the liner notes and refused to carry the record. MC5 took out the 'Fuck Hudsons!' ad in the local underground paper, prominently featuring the Elektra logo (without the knowledge or approval of Elektra). Hudsons then pretty much said 'fuck Elektra' and refused to stock any of the label's product. This is what got them dropped. They were picked up quickly by Atlantic, who unfortunately saddled them with Jon Landau as a producer.

yeah, thats more or less the same thing i wrote

its funny, though - i once saw an old ish of Sixteen magazine (the famed teenybopper mag) from 1970, and they had a page headlined "SING ALONG WITH THE STOOGES AND MUNGO JERRY!" And there on that page they had the lyrics to MJ's "In The Summertime" and the Stooges'"Down On The Street." I don't have to tell you which one became a hit, but 16 was always giving Iggy & the Stooges a dry run with a picture or two, wondering if they'd catch on as teen idols (they did the same thing with Tim Buckley)

yeah, thats more or less the same thing i wrote

its funny, though - i once saw an old ish of Sixteen magazine (the famed teenybopper mag) from 1970, and they had a page headlined "SING ALONG WITH THE STOOGES AND MUNGO JERRY!" And there on that page they had the lyrics to MJ's "In The Summertime" and the Stooges'"Down On The Street." I don't have to tell you which one became a hit, but 16 was always giving Iggy & the Stooges a dry run with a picture or two, wondering if they'd catch on as teen idols (they did the same thing with Tim Buckley)

people like Lisa Robinson used to work at teen mags, and I think Danny Fields started as an Elektra publicist, so he would have had direct contacts at these publications. Back then, you could feasibly have a teen publication that had features on The Rolling Stones and Alice Cooper as well as Bobby Sherman. One of the reasons why that time was slightly more interesting than now in the published media. They were still throwing anything at the wall of TEEN hoping something would stick. Now, it seems the archetypes are established.

This would have been unthinkable in the mid-80s, at least in most American cities.

Actually, in the mid-80's, when "VU" and "Another VU" were
    released, the local "alternative" station in Boston started
    playing some VU stuff, mainly those 2 Loaded tracks and
    a couple of tracks from the then-recent albums. They started
    getting played (more) on the college radio punk rock shows, too.