Songs Within Songs

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I'm not talking about prog rock mini operas but songs that have whole other tunes with different melodies or sound structures dropped into them like McCartney's Band on the Run. One of my faves is Ramble Tamble by CCR. The first section is standard CCR country boogie stuff. The "second" song starts at just under the 2 minute mark. One of the best jams ever, a furious rhythm workout with some intense sonics by Fogarty. Share your favorite song inside a song.

Comments

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I guess heroes and villians is the obvious one...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I think there are a few Beatles like this. Day In A Life. I think some parts were written by McCartney and some by Lennon and they just stuck them together.

I saw the news today...
    Woke up fell out of bed...

Can't You Hear Me Knocking by the stones goes into that kind of spacey sax solo. If that counts then Traffic and some other bands did similar things.

• Options
    Traffic-Glad One of my favorite change-ups. So macabre sounding.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Labi Siffre - I got the blues...

i love the change ups...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    For the more obscure tracks please post sound so we can evaluate.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    The obvious one to me is "Scenes From An Italian Restaurant" by Billy Joel, which is a song inside a song inside a song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scenes_from_an_italian_restaurant

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i always loved the last few minutes of "rocket queen" by gnr.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    REAL OBVIOUS EXAMPLES:
    - "Layla," Derek & the Dominoes
    - "Lean On Me," Bill Withers

ALSO:
    - "Another Country," Electric Flag
    - "I Confess," "Let Me Love You," New Colony Six
    - "East-West," Paul Butterfield Blues Band

REAL OBVIOUS EXAMPLES:

Well, "Lean On Me" always did sound like it was patched together from different ideas - the bridge ("you just call on me, brother, when you need a hand...") and the ending ("callll me...") could have stood on their own feets as songs.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    i always loved the last few minutes of "rocket queen" by gnr.

But what about November Rain??

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    REAL OBVIOUS EXAMPLES:

Yeah, I don't think I really consider that a song within a song. That's just more of a different section of the same song. It's really just a breakdown or a bridge or something.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    REAL OBVIOUS EXAMPLES:

Yeah, I don't think I really consider that a song within a song. That's just more of a different section of the same song. It's really just a breakdown or a bridge or something.

Yeah I was thinking The Doors Whiskey bar might work, but it seems more like just a break down in that regard.

stairway to heaven, no?

• does the guess who's "no sugar tonight/new mother nature" count?

maybe a better choice would be wayne shorter's version of dindi, where there is that soft middle part with just maria booker and her husband playing classical guitar.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Alright I'm taking back control of this thread. I only want to hear about songs within songs that you actually like. Yes stairway sort of qualifies, Day in the Life is the most obvious and famous example. How about good other examples with sounds clips. And for christ's sake no more Billy Joel talk.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    REAL OBVIOUS EXAMPLES:
    - "Layla," Derek & the Dominoes

ALSO:
    - "Another Country," Electric Flag
    - "I Confess," "Let Me Love You," New Colony Six

East-West? I thought it was more of a jam section that extended the theme. I'll go and listen to it again. Bill Graham's favorite song played at the Fillmore.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Do rap songs where the beat changes count?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Do rap songs where the beat changes count?

UMC's - Swing It To The Area.....

This is really another thraed.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Metallica - Orion
    John Miles - Music
    Wings - Uncle Albert
    Slayer - Raining Blood
    Slayer - Angel Of Death

Wings - Uncle Albert

does the guess who's "no sugar tonight/new mother nature" count?

I don't think he meant medleys, which would disqualify both of these songs...

East-West? I thought it was more of a jam section that extended the theme. I'll go and listen to it again. Bill Graham's favorite song played at the Fillmore.

Well, (1) this whole song feels like a "jam" to begin with, and (b) when they shift to a major key, it sounds like a different song than the one they started with...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    charlie haden's song for che has a sample from carlos puebla's hasta siempre comandante che in it

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Well, "Lean On Me" always did sound like it was patched together from different ideas - the bridge ("you just call on me, brother, when you need a hand...") and the ending ("callll me...") could have stood on their own feets as songs.

And the whole thing would have been better if it was just the bridge and the outro. Only Bill Withers song I don't want to hear.

A song that modulates from major to minor, or from acoustic to electric, or a slow into with a fast chours do not seem like songs within songs, to me. Maybe I just don't get the concept.

Doors Whiskey Bar? You mean kurt weil's Alabama Song. I can't think how that is a song within a song.

Speaking of songs that change up the rhythm, Asleep At The Wheel have a song that goes back and forth from being a two step to a waltz. Very cleaver and the refrain; "In French Baton Rouge Might Mean Red Stick, But To Me It Means Broken Hearts".

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

How about these:

-"Greatdayinthemornin'"-D'Angelo.
    -"Deja Vu"-Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young.
    -"Lonnie's Lament"-War.
    -"Love Hangover"-Diana Ross (sort of).
    -"Brilliant Circles"-Stanley Cowell.
    -"Free Speech"-Eddie Harris.
    -"The Story Of A Man And A Woman - Part 1: She Thought I Was Stanley Clarke - Part 2: A Fool Again - Part 3: - I Nearly Went Crazy (Until I Realized What Had Occurred)"-Stanley Clarke.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

"I Am Love" by the Jackson Five

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

This is where im confused. they never return to the slow intro tempo.

Like Isley Bros Ohio/Machine Gun it never returns to Ohio.

This is where im confused. they never return to the slow intro tempo.

Are they supposed to?

Like Isley Bros Ohio/Machine Gun it never returns to Ohio.

Well, that's a medley, so I wouldn't really expect a return to the first song anyway.