rap record f/ Lyman Woodard / Dennis Coffey

gambitgambit 906 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Ugh...I just typed out this detailed description of this project and I forgot to copy it before I tried to post it. Soulstrut ho'd me. It's all gone.Anyway, my boy SP (www.myspace.com/shawncoffeepoems) has his recent opus - Movin' Along - dropping this week on P-Vine / Blues Interactions.http://www.p-vine.com/app.php/mo/Shop/ac/ProductDetail/id/7090The thing that would be significant to me... and probably not you is that it's my first appearance on a commercially-distributed record. In fact, it'll be my first appearance on wax as P-Vine is going to do an 8 song EP of it too.The thing that would interest Strutters that it features studio work from the following musicians:Lyman WoodardDennis CoffeyRon EnglishDonald MayberryTed Pulker of No DiceSkip Van Winkle of Teagarden and Van WinkleUmm... yeah, here's samples:The "Funk Party" joint features Lyman on keys and Dennis on guitar. Oh yeah, I rap after the brief "chorus" after Chikara of Giant Panda (peace to the hardcore).All the beats are made from Detroit-related records. All the musicians were involved in the Detroit music scene back in the 60s and 70s. Yeah, SP drove cross-country to gather everyone's contributions like too many times. I think he did a stellar job.There's going to be a listening party in Detroit, if anyone is interested - Friday, April 25th. SP lives in L.A. now, so I'm not sure... maybe they'll do something out there too.Anyway, I'm totally dismayed 30 minutes of work gone.Peace,gambit the mc

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    sounds dope!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I like the Japanese mc dude, he sounds dope. The engrish raps sounds very ugly duckling ish, take that for what it is.

The production is very nice.

• What exactly is hardcore about Chikara?

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    What exactly is hardcore about Chikara?

I dunno, but that's the only thing I can discern out of his verse! I have yet to meet the man.
    My nihongo is so bad. I am ashamed to even admit that I don't understand anything else that he says in the verse. Well, I can't say I have tried hard enough, but it's definitely "japanese" to me right now (which used to be my third language.)

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Oh... and both A**** Anders*ns made the liner notes, which I edited. The story of the effort behind making this joint is pretty admirable. Dude put in some miles to get the project right.

• The thing that would be significant to me... and probably not you is that it's my first appearance in the liner notes [/b]on a commercially-distributed record

It's a fact that having two soulstrut dudes with the exact same names in your liner notes makes your record outta sight and solid gold.

I'm glad SP got this out, he worked hard and really believed in it. I remember when he first started on it and told me what he wanted to do. I thought he was in over his head.

Now we need to hear the Gambit full length.

MCF

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    The thing that would be significant to me... and probably not you is that it's my first appearance in the liner notes [/b]on a commercially-distributed record

It's a fact that having two soulstrut dudes with the exact same names in your liner notes makes your record outta sight and solid gold.

I'm glad SP got this out, he worked hard and really believed in it. I remember when he first started on it and told me what he wanted to do. I thought he was in over his head.

Now we need to hear the Gambit full length.

MCF
    I was a skeptic until I heard the mix work. As he sent me mixes of the sessions (which I also sat in on some), I knew it was all worthwhile. I was leary as a lot of hip hop that has live instrumentation seems to make it very clear that there's two separate sources. SP definitely got it all in the pocket.

I must say I'm surprised that more folks aren't interested in this. I guess Lyman's name doesn't have the same juice here on Soulstrut anymore.