Worst Song of the Year

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Teenage bawlhead Buju!!!

an' yuh-ah moggle widit inna yuh tight up skirt!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    So was Kleeer biting Roger Troutman? Was EWF biting him too? Were they all biting Peter Frampton?

Your backpack straps are showing!

Wait, what? I didn't imply that at all.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    So was Kleeer biting Roger Troutman? Was EWF biting him too? Were they all biting Peter Frampton?

yeah me neither.

I was reacting purely to the recent explosion in the use of this device, and then Wayne (supposedly embodying the "future" of rapp or something) comes along several years after the fact with this tired isht.

Kleer, Troutman, Frampton, EWF all made a bunch of songs over several decades using vocal techniques like this. but otherwise these guys had other musical talents.

then Akon and T-Pain come along and in the span of about 5 years make a bazillion songs relying HEAVILY on this device. and then, sadly, Wayne comes along at the tail-end of this trend trying to be relevant.

it's reminiscent of Lil Kim's phony JA stylings coming on the heals of about 4+ years of Sean Paul-led US dancehall market saturation.

nothing "fresh" here; that's all.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

then Akon and T-Pain come along and in the span of about 5 years make a bazillion songs relying HEAVILY on this device. and then, sadly, Wayne comes along at the tail-end of this trend trying to be relevant.

Yeah, Li'l Wayne is really struggling to remain relevant.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Rootlesscosmo is the arbiter of "fresh".

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I wonder how T-Pain and others perform live, being that Autotune is a software plugin. Is there a hardware version available?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

yeah me neither.

I was reacting purely to the recent explosion in the use of this device, and then Wayne (supposedly embodying the "future" of rapp or something) comes along several years after the fact with this tired isht.

Kleer, Troutman, Frampton, EWF all made a bunch of songs over several decades using vocal techniques like this. but otherwise these guys had other musical talents.

it's reminiscent of Lil Kim's phony JA stylings coming on the heals of about 4+ years of Sean Paul-led US dancehall market saturation.

nothing "fresh" here; that's all.

Where do you get all of your indignation? Lil Wayne "trying to be relevant"? You sound mad hateuresque with that. Plus, who has rapped with the vooder before Wayne? And no, I'm not talking about Roger on California Love. The way I see Wayne and the vocoder is that Wayne is way, way out on cloud 9 and the vocoder gives him a tool to further acceentuate any little syrup-laced grunt he throws into his stream-of-consciousness raps. Shit is clearly pure genius...yet of course, RootlessJoeBlow is mad at it.

I feel his grasp on relevance is slipping. Bout to be over on Koch the-breaks.

I feel his grasp on relevance is slipping. Bout to be over on Koch the-breaks.

I been saying, dude doesn't even like San Francisco Quincy.

Playboy claims to be from out the Sco but doesn't like young quinn?

Man, that's like sunshine in The Richmond... never see that shit.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Since I am NOT from the 'Sco, am I allowed to state that Quinn is one of the most hit-or-miss rappers I've ever heard? When he's on, he da BAST, but man, does he have some terds in the catalogue.

Wayne is supposed to be the greatest thing in rapp, so out there, so ahead of the pack.

and here he is rapping into a vocoder. that's just not fresh to me in light of the mountain of lame vocoder material that's come out over the last 5 years.

but if you guys think it's "fresh," by all means continue to ride for "Lollipops."

(Though I have the feeling you guys are incapable of looking objectively at a Lil Wayne song at this point, i.e. he can do no wrong for you guys.)

man, does he have some terds in the catalogue.

major understatement.

^^^ ONE OF THE GUYS THAT MIGHT GET TOUCHED AFTER THE CLUB ^^^

Since I am NOT from the 'Sco, am I allowed to state that Quinn is one of the most hit-or-miss rappers I've ever heard? When he's on, he da BAST, but man, does he have some terds in the catalogue.

No, you are not allowed to state that...at least until you first state the same about every other rapper you only halfway like.

and here he is rapping into a vocoder. that's just not fresh to me in light of the mountain of lame vocoder material that's come out over the last 5 years.

Again, within that 5 years...who besides Wayne has rapped with a vocoder?

I know--what a tired approach. Almost as tired as rapping without effects on your voice--dudes have been doing that for something like thirty years. Not fresh.

totally the same.

I know--what a tired approach. Almost as tired as rapping without effects on your voice--dudes have been doing that for something like thirty years. Not fresh.

I'm with you: I hope this ushers in a new era in rapp where only vocoders are used from here on out.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    For the record, none of these artists use vocoders.

Vocoder, actually takes musical skill to use effectively...
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Autotune, no talent required...
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

yeah I know we've parsed this out before on here. "vocoder" is my shorthand for all these vocal effects.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    yeah I know we've parsed this out before on here. "vocoder" is my shorthand for all these vocal effects.

I hear yeah, I just get a little defensive because I ride hard for the vocoder/talkbox.

• What was the big single Wayne Wonder had 5 or 6 years ago that got a lot of radio play? I can't remember the name, but I remember liking it.

What was the big single Wayne Wonder had 5 or 6 years ago that got a lot of radio play? I can't remember the name, but I remember liking it.

No Letting Go.

What was the big single Wayne Wonder had 5 or 6 years ago that got a lot of radio play? I can't remember the name, but I remember liking it.

not sure.

this one seemed to make its way onto all the dancehall mixtapes I copped at one point:

I always felt like St. Vincent's Kevin Lyttle was like a lesser version of Wayne.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

What about Snoop's auto-tune moment?

• Lollipop isn't horrible for a chick song or whatever you wanna call it, I guess...but I do wish he'd lose the whole autotune shit. I mean, I can understand a song here and there for the club or radio..but now you buy a Weezy mixtape and 19 out of 20 tracks have that shit. Then again, he is doing something right considering he is having the most success on the charts he's ever had.

What about Snoop's auto-tune moment?

Correct me if I'm wrong...but when Snoop raps (rather than sings) on that song, he doesn't use the vocoder effect.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ah, I didn't realize the question was specifically about an auto-tuned rap.

I'm frankly surprised more rappers haven't done this already.