Ebay woes (camera NRR)

spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
so last night i'm surfing the net to find out information on intervolmeters (basically a tool to help make stop animation films) for my super 8 camera. when one of the links led me to one for sale on ebay. i had never before seen one on ebay, sold or unsold. it was 9.99 and had no bids. so i went to bed planning on bidding the next morning. when i woke up i checked the bay and the price was still the same with no bids and an hour left. when i got out of the shower the bidding had ended and the item had not sold. i know i take some long but that wasn't the case this time. so my suspicion is that the seller ended the auction early.fuck i was bummed. lame as it is to let something like that have power over me it has left a sour taste on my morning.doesn't it take some justification to end auctions early? any ebay savy heads have any suggestions?

Comments

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Sellers can end auctions for just about any reason. I get a variety of hilarious answers wen I ask why.

This one seller ended about a dozen afro-funk auctions early, out of a few dozen total. I asked him why and he tried to convince me somebody broke into his shop and stole JUST those records. This is a seller I seriously doubt has a "shop". A few weeks later they re-appear and I send him another email: so I guess they got un-stolen, huh? Weak...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    ya "store sales" are the usual response for closed auctions...that would be my best guess..

• Options
    If you want to paint your house pink, you can - you own it. Your neighbors may be less likely ot come talk to you, but...

K.

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    Did you try to contact the seller to buy it directly?

I had ebay auctions cancelled by ebay because of stuff like asking an extra fee for using paypal, obsenities, links to a website etc. But then the item (I think) does not appear in completed items.

So you're doing stop motion films with an 8mm camera? Cool. I'm doing cut out animation myself.

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
    So you're doing stop motion films with an 8mm camera? Cool. I'm doing cut out animation myself.

well id like to get into it a little more than i have. i have a few ideas floating around in my head. the only stop motion films i've done so far have been by hand, i.e. i can shoot a single frame, so my finger is the timer, which leads to frame wobble and imperfect timing (both of which can actually look cool but i would like to make it precise as well).

what are you working on?

If you want to paint your house pink, you can - you own it. Your neighbors may be less likely ot come talk to you, but...

K.

my house is exactly 50% gray. 75% of my neighbors talk to me. but i catch your drift.

• ... procrastination

... sniping[/b]

looks like i got sniped instead tho.

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts

what are you working on?

I did that too, with a 8mm, the way you describe. I did an animated version of the Rodney King drama. But that was years back. At this moment I'm doing a title sequences plus I'm working on a 8 minute film. Part of the fun is selecting all the music. The film is set in a nightclub so I'm putting all these raunchy tracks behind it, mainly KPM tunes. The title sequence I'm doing right now is supposed to have a punk feel to it so I had to dig up records I haven't been listening to for ages.

Good luck.

• ... sniping[/b]

looks like i got sniped instead tho.

live by the snipe die by the snipe.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    hmmm. i thought intervalometers were more for time lapse photography rather than stop motion. i mean, as long as you have a tripod and can fire off 1 frame at a time, i dont think it gets much better than that for animation.

GHOSTSPACE KILLA!!![/b]

basically the way i understand it is time lapse photography is the same as stop motion. the intervalometer allows you to set the time inbetween frames to shoot automatically. so basically instead of shooting at the standard 18 f.p.s. (frames per second) you can set it to shoot a frame every half second to every 60 seconds. stop motion is basically doing the same thing except you are shooting each frame manually. the cool thing with shooting one frame at a time is you can vary the time between frames so you can shoot vary your f.p.s. between each frame. but even with a tripod with no cable release you will wind up with camera wobble because you have to touch the camera for each shot.

long story short id really like an intervalometer and a cable release. maybe i just need to step up to the digital or canon 814xls or 1014xls which all have built in intervalometers....

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

GHOSTSPACE KILLA!!![/b]