Your favourite Westbound/Eastbound album ?

Comments

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    can't believe all this heat over some good and unpretentious soul-jazz affairs... after all these threads were intended to be "your favourite" not some stupid "best album of the label" ...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    good

no

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Pickwick, in all fairness, it was a Westbound AND Eastbound thread. I don't think it makes much sense to group the two together despite whatever corporate ties they may have shared but in any case, I was only commenting on Eastbound titles (since their catalog is so much smaller and more easily talked about).

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to signify or single you or anyone else out, just some good ol' fashioned debate and rootin' for the faves (in response to Paycheck calling me out for thinking the Detroit Emeralds "fuck with" the Ohio Players). That's why I wrote "(((grin)))" a while back in my post, just to let you know that no love was lost and I meant it partially as a goof.

I listen that frazier album very happily... ....but if you don't like organ solos and the whole soul-jazz format what's the point of debating?

I'm just saying there's more solid material on the label. You asked.

I have a feeling these threads are less about what is actually the best album on the label and more about just running off at the mouth/keyboard.

surely there is... but this was about "what you like more" and in all fairness is not nice hearing people school others on what they suppose to like .... if one prefers Bob Porter stuff to Detroit Emeralds does it means they are lil dude or something ?

I listen that frazier album very happily... ....but if you don't like organ solos and the whole soul-jazz format what's the point of debating?

Well, I once found a copy of Ceasar Frazier '75 cheap in a comic book store and liked it enough to keep it, so I didn't know I was coming on that strong with the Haterade. Apologies to everyone if I did. I just backtracked to the first post in this thread, saw it was from you (and that you mentioned a Frazier LP off the bat), and figured out the confusion. Like I implied, I was probably rolling with the whole vibe of "Funkadelic and Ohio Players or nothing!" that kinda set in in the middle of this thread. But, I didn't think I'd be stepping on any toes, and I'm sorry if I did.

Now, since we're also talkin' about Eastbound, who will big-up Catfish Hodge? (grin) (sorry, but since they took away the "grin" graemlin, I've been forced to write that word out)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

surely there is... but this was about "what you like more" and in all fairness is not nice hearing people school others on what they suppose to like .... if one prefers Bob Porter stuff to Detroit Emeralds does it means they are lil dude or something ?

You seem confused about where you are.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Ohio Players? What? Love Roller Coaster sucks!

It's all about this

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    um Ohio Players "Pleasure", "Pain" and "Exctasy"

You know?

Cats talking about Donald Austin and shit.

Funkadelic's the only thing messing with the Players.

Yeah pretty much. I remember goin to DeeRock's crib in 95 and seeing all the Eastbound records and thinking they had to be the hot fire. Got em all and realized they're not too good lol. Think I still got Hail Cesar and 19th Whole though, which are decent. Is Pleasure Web OP under a alias??? It sounds a lot like em. Never heard the story. Dante??

"Love Rollercoaster" didn't come out on Westbound, that was farther down the road.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

"Love Rollercoaster" didn't come out on Westbound, that was farther down the road.

jeesh, I joke. you know I got all the bald & black s&m action in my expedit.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    we're 40 some odd posts in and no one mentions Bill Moss?

fucker celebrating Caesar fraizer's 1978 output while overlooking the celestials

something is wrong here

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I've had Gene Chandler, Donald Austin, Bill Mason, 19th Whole, among others on the label and the 19th Whole shits on the others. I have never had Cesar Frazier so I can't call it but I wouldn't call 19th Whole a 1-tracker.

Well, in all fairness, I haven't owned the 19th Whole in years...when I got it, my recollection was that it on par with the other titles and I ended up flipping it on a trade to Chris. Not sure what I'd think if I took a listen again today (though somehow, I suspect the intervening years wouldn't do any of those albums any favors but that has more to do with my tastes than the records.

I still like that Frazier '75 album on Westbound but what can I say, I still like my Gang Starr samples

fucker celebrating Caesar fraizer's 1978 output

Gentleman, I didn't know I had to explain that the "another life" post was intended as a joke...

so many self conscious and sensitive strutters around, next time I'll put the sign...

• What's up with this Erasmus Hall album on Westbound? I know it's a rare one.

I had the song "Your Love Is My Desire" on a comp and loved that shit. Would love to hear the rest!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    um Ohio Players "Pleasure", "Pain" and "Exctasy"

You know?

Cats talking about Donald Austin and shit.

Hey, the only reason I put Donald Austin in there was because I was picking a Westbound and an Eastbound album. And like I wrote, it's the only Eastbound title I own, so it obviously wasn't a very well-founded choice

I'll stand by the S/T Funkadelic as my Westbound favorite, though. No bullshit.
    I know these "pick your favorite" threads always evolve into lists rather than one single choice, but that's the one for me.
    So the Players, Emeralds and so on will have to wait for another day.

I think the Funkadelic S/T is a perfectly find choice. Frankly nothing on Eastbound can stand up to the Westbound classics.

I think the Funkadelic S/T is a perfectly find choice. Frankly nothing on Eastbound can stand up to the Westbound classics.

That's debatable.... I would take "Texas Twister" over any George Clinton production ...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "Frankly nothing on Eastbound can stand up to the Westbound classics."

"I would take "Texas Twister" over any George Clinton production"

SHOWDOWN!

(Hint: JP is right)

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

"I would take "Texas Twister"

Im suprised no one has mentioned this yet. While I havent heard it, I was under the impression that this LP was THE shit.
    Maybe its not that great? or jsut rare enough so that many people havent heard it?

That up to your taste..the music is standard Bob Porter production,
    to help you understand: Prestige, Fire Eater, Leon Spencer, etc

much better than any Boogaloo Jones lp

a couple of tracks are pure if you like soul jazz

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

That's debatable.... I would take "Texas Twister" over any George Clinton production ...

To answer an earlier question: yes, this does actually make you a little dude.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I would take "Texas Twister" over any George Clinton production ...

texas twister & hail cesar are kinda boring, I have both of em too

19th whole & donald austin at least keep your attention a little

none is f.ucking with funkadelic

the ohio players don't really do it for me, too much yabba dabba doo funk

---

• groove70sgroove70s 168 Posts
    What's up with this Erasmus Hall album on Westbound? I know it's a rare one.

I had the song "Your Love Is My Desire" on a comp and loved that shit. Would love to hear the rest!

co-sign - a great (modern) soul album - title track and a great version of J.R. Bailey's "just you and me"

is this the last LP on Westbound befor the ACE reissues?

To answer an earlier question: yes, this does actually make you a little dude.

I'll take this as a compliment .... did I also mention that P-Funk sucks ?

---

• Back to Westbound, two of my favorite 45s:

Superlatives: I Don't Know Why
    New Holidays: Maybe So, Maybe No (though this was originally on Soul Hawk)

Actually, O, the Superlatives was originally on Dynamics. (Gracias, Soulhawk!)

• groove70sgroove70s 168 Posts
    I would take "Texas Twister" over any George Clinton production ...

19th whole & donald austin at least keep your attention a little

none is f.ucking with funkadelic

the ohio players don't really do it for me, too much yabba dabba doo funk

---

maybe we should distinguish between the non-popular jazz-funk label Eastbound and the popular soul/funk label Westbound.

Eastbound: my favourite is 19th Whole,
    I also dig Bill Mason and Gary Chandler
    Caesar Frazier and Donald Austin are o.k.
    at least Albert Washington and Houston Person are better than the two Catfish Hodge albums
    Texas Twister is the only one I'm still looking for, so...
    is there a record with EB9009?

Westbound: Eramus Hall

• Eramus Hall

A great version of J.R. Bailey's "Just Me and You"
    YES.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Eramus Hall I've had like 3 or 4 times, I always sell or trade it - there's maybe 2 good songs on there - the rest is yabba dabba doo funk cheese

the Mattie Moss Clark gospel albums on Westbound usually have p-funk members doing the music - often in a 'Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughts' style