First and Latest gigs you attended

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Plaese to post your first and latest gigs; artist, date and loc, and a one line review.Here's mineThin Lizzy, 1980, Hammersmith Odeon: uber exciting but Lynott already hooked on the bad lifeSwing Out Sister, circa 1994, Jazz Cafe : most together band I ever saw, and very groovyyeah I haven't been to a gig for like 14 years. Deal!

Comments

• i take it youre talking about straight gigs and not festivals.

first: snuff at london astoria
    last: dropkick murphys at manchester academy

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

yeah I haven't been to a gig for like 14 years. Deal!

how did that happen?

• First: Guns N Roses, opening acts Faith no More and Soundgarden.

Last: Mark Ronson.

Seeing Portishead next week. I'm excited.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

how did that happen?

5 kids and a job

I may start going again when the eldest is a bit older.
    In fact, he wants to go to a punk all-dayer in Birmingham later this year, which is where the thread idea starts.
    A reformed Buzzcocks, Damned and Zounds.... oh yes indeed, I wanna be there

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    alfa: fugazi at the phoneix room(?) in houston, texas. 1992

omega mooo: (mike) relm, neil armstrong & me at some art gallery in nyc, ny. March 31st, 2008

First: Guns N Roses,
    Seeing Portishead next week. I'm excited.

good Portishead interview in Mojo this month
    Beth sounds intense in the extreme

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    First: Negazione & the Brazilian hardcore band Colera back in '85

Last: Charlie Hunter Trio last weekend.

Budos Band is playing only 1 gig in Holland on the 21st of april...really excited about that one. How are they live?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    government issue / electric love muffin / constraint c.e. center philly feb 23, 1985 --- great show bought my first issue of thrasher that night.

budos band - asbury park a few months ago...great as well !

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    government issue / electric love muffin / constraint c.e. center philly feb 23, 1985 --- great show bought my first issue of thrasher that night.

You have seen GI man...think they only made it once to Europe in the 80's but I was just getting into hardcore and I didn't know who they were so I missed out on them.

You have seen GI man...think they only made it once to Europe in the 80's but I was just getting into hardcore and I didn't know who they were so I missed out on them.

yea they were good. Two of the songs from the show ended up getting comped on their live album. A few years later. My second show was 7 seconds / adrenalin o.d. / homo picnic. Attempted and landed my first stage dive at that show.

• First gig: Sept 1979 - Last night of the MUSE/No Nukes concerts at Madison Square Garden. The posted bill was Ray Parker Jr and Raydio, Poco, and Crosby Stills and Nash. The actual playlist included Paul Simon, James Taylor & Carly Simon, Stephen Bishop, Jesse Colin Young, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt and a couple of other people I can't recall. There were so many added performers that I had to bail about three songs into the CSN set to catch the bus back to Jersey.

Last Gig: 12/07 - The Budos Band at Asbury Lanes, and before that the Budos at Lucky Cat in BK. I was lucky enough to be spinning records before the band both times.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Rare Earth, 1971 in my future high school's gym

Patti Smith 12/30/07 at the 9:30

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Earliest concert I remember, was Sha Na Na at the local hockey arena, Steven Point WI, probably about 1975-76. I was 7 or 8 years old. They kicked ass.

Last show, was Radio Birdman in Minneapolis, was it already last August/Sept? Late 2007 anyway. The last 4 shows I have attended were Radio Birdman stops in the US over the last 2 years. I am not big on crowds these days.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    First: Ella Fitzgerald in Cincinnati in 1984; it was the grand opening of Riverbend Music Center in Cincinnati on July 4th. The Cincinnati Pops was the main act and Ella Fitzgerald was the special guest. My parents took my siblings and me to the show and we sat on a blanket on the lawn. I recall laying down and maybe sleeping through some of the show. I was 10 years old and couldn't give a fuck about an orchestra or Ella Fitzgerald.

Last: Umm...that's a good question. I really don't go to shows anymore, just don't want to hassle with the crowds, loud noise and shit. Honestly, the last show I went to might've been Bob Dylan with Willie Nelson opening in August 2004.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Duran Duran - Maple Leaf Gardens, 1984.
    My friend got the flu last minute and was practically suicidal she had to miss the concert. My Mom and Dad drove me there, my Dad helped me sell the ticket and then they picked me up after show. It was thrilling and also frustrating, too many screaming girls!!

RZA - Phoenix, about three weeks ago
    It was kinda goofy.

Next show is Bitty McLean, Ken Boothe and Treson - location TBA.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    First gig - Public Enemy - Tour of a Black Planet in 1990 Brisbane
    Last gig - ... aside from club gigs, I can't remember... maybe Wu-Tang Clan / Cut Chemist / DJ Shadow @ T In The Park in Glasgow...

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    First: The Eagles and Andrew Gold at the Omni in Atlanta. 1977 Hotel California tour. The Eagles played three encores (I saved the review) and Steve Miller jammed with them at the end. Really good show to start with.

Last: DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist at the 9:30 Club. Great and depressing (as a DJ) at the same time.

Going to see Widespread Panic tonite at the Warner and have Radiohead tickets for this summer.

First: The Eagles and Andrew Gold

I'll wager Andrew Gold can do a killer 20 minutes
    Such good hits in that little run on Slip Away/Lonely Boy/Thank You for Being a Friend

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    first was Quiet Riot and Accept....1983(4?)

latest was a gig I had to spin at...Lucero (The New Mary jane opened which is the 2 main dudes from The Grifters, they were pretty cool)

Last gig I attened because I wanted to see the band was Adios Gringo...

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

how did that happen?

5 kids

ah, I see. I have one, so I can imagine..

Get a sitter for an evening and get yourskelf out the house!

My first = I'm guessing GOTCHA! (Dutch funkband) but I'm not sure.

Last gig = Alpha Blondy

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    First proper gig would probably have been Dinosaur Jr at the Brixton academy, I must have been about 13.

Last was probably something smaller, and local, maybe one of my friends bands. The last proper gig I went to were the festivals last year.

• alfa: fugazi at the phoneix room(?) in houston, texas. 1992

I was at that show.

First: Monsters Of Rock tour w/ Van Halen, Scorpions, Metallica, DOKKEN, and some other band. Houston, 1988.

Last: Morrissey last May.

• first: metallica with the cult opening, and justice for all tour. biloxi, MS. forget the venue.

last: pharoah scion show at warehouse live in houston, it was

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    First: No Doubt and Sublime at the World Beat Center in San Diego 1992. My friend's sister was dating one of the dudes in No Doubt. I think they opened for some local ska bands.

Last: Sharon Jones at the Belly Up in Encinitas. Highly recommended and so necessary.

Earliest concert I remember, was Sha Na Na at the local hockey arena, Steven Point WI, probably about 1975-76. I was 7 or 8 years old. They kicked ass.

Last show, was Radio Birdman in Minneapolis, was it already last August/Sept? Late 2007 anyway. The last 4 shows I have attended were Radio Birdman stops in the US over the last 2 years. I am not big on crowds these days.

I said my first concert was government issue. Now I remember Ronnie Milsap played after a phillies game in 77 or something. I wasn't feelin it.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    First: Third World in 1983

Last: Living Legends and Ab Rude about a month ago

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    first: oak ridge boys, seattle center arena, 1980 or 81. my brother was big into "giddy up, mmmm poppa maw maw" song so the folks thought it'd be fun to take us. and for one night, i loved country music.

last: ooooooh, some horrible, horrible local rapper at the varsity theatre last month.

last good show: cut chemist and shadow at first ave in feb.

next show: possibly kraftwerk at the myth on the 19th.

Now I remember Ronnie Milsap played after a phillies game in 77 or something. I wasn't feelin it.

if he ain't careful, that's falling over

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    My first show was Andrea Sagovia 1969 at DAR Constitution Hall in DC. It was transcendent. I had just gotten a guitar. Went with my dad.

First rock concert (a lot of rock in this thread) was Spirit opening for BB King at American University in 1970. It was a free show. Was supposed to start at 8 but didn't start till 10. My dad was picking us up at midnight, so we only saw Spirit. Giant tom tom drum solo! (all times are approximate as best I can remember.)

Latest show was Pink Martini at the Shnitz. Great show and it started on time.

Now I remember Ronnie Milsap played after a phillies game in 77 or something. I wasn't feelin it.

if he ain't careful, that's falling over

he's blind he won't know...