Mp3 gapless mixes

OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Is there some trick to getting an mp3 mix to play gapless[/b] in most mp3players?I made a mix, which is now on a cd. It plays fine (no jolting gaps). I've tried ripping it to mp3 with both wmp and itunes. WMP was just straight up shitty. Itunes did a better job. The files play fine in winamp, but it doesn't play gapless in my mp3player. Other mixes do, so it's necessarily not the player. Any ideas?

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Thanks Don, but that seems to be more for mastering/producing audio cds. I already have my, DJ-style megamix, on a cd. I want to have it on mp3[/b].

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    try cdex ..you can extract the tracks as a whole gapless file with the "extract sections from the cd to WAV or compressed audio file( s ) " button

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    try cdex ..you can extract the tracks as a whole gapless file with the "extract sections from the cd to WAV or compressed audio file( s ) " button

Looks good.

I was hoping I could do something with the mp3 files I already have though, as I've ripped and tagged them all already.

Looks like I may have to just deal with it.

thanks for the help.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    when you import in itunes, you need to go to your itunes prefs and go to advanced under importing and make sure you have the gap between tracks set to 0

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    when you import in itunes, you need to go to your itunes prefs and go to advanced under importing and make sure you have the gap between tracks set to 0

Yep, done that.

The ripped files play fine on my PC, using Itunes or WinAmp. But there are nasty jolts between tracks when I play it in my mp3 player.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

Actually, you can still get this right in iTunes after you've imported and indexed the tracks. Drag all the tracks to a new iTunes playlist; highlight all the tracks [iTunes will pop up a dialog box saying, are you sure you want to edit multiple tracks?], hit 'yes'; then you'll get the same dialog box that you get when you edit indexing on a CD prior to import; toggle 'Gapless album'. That should do it.
    The Gapless album feature overrides crossfade playback, which usually will give you a tiny but perceptible space between tracks anyway.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I found this how to, which has work-arounds for the problem.

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/GaplessHowTo

Thought, I'd share it.