Elephant Paints Self Portrait

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

That's very impressive. Wonder how much practice that Elephant will need before it starts to use perspective?

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    that is unreal. the skeptic in my thinks he was trained tough. but never the less very impressive.

the skeptic in my thinks he was trained tough.

Tough Crowed vs Tough Elephant?

I don't think that was training. Why go back and paint over the faint lines to make sure they were visible? That pachyderm is a perfectionist as well as an artiste! I'm sure it could show Chris Offili a thing or two...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Meh. No sense of composition. All in all, uninspired and unimpressive.

D-

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    I read in discovery magazine that elephants are one of the only species of animals that actually has awareness of "self". That means if you say put an elephant in front of a mirror with a dot on its head, it realizes that its looking at itself in the mirror and can touch the dot with its trunk. Only people and dolphins have this ability to have self awareness. Try putting a dog in front of a mirror. It has no clue whats going on.

So its not unbelievable to think it did it without coaching.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Oh those big dudes are makin' more than pretty pictures:

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Pretty sure this is the Elephant Art Gallery in Chiang Mai...

http://www.elephantartgallery.com/

you can buy the prints! it saves elephants!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

That's very impressive. Wonder how much practice that Elephant will need before it starts to use perspective?

I think it took humans 10 million years.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    the skeptic in my thinks he was trained tough.

Tough Crowed vs Tough Elephant?

I don't think that was training. Why go back and paint over the faint lines to make sure they were visible? That pachyderm is a perfectionist as well as an artiste! I'm sure it could show Chris Offili a thing or two...

Offili was a genius.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

• In the wake of the apocalypse, Elephantidae will rise to command the earth, reconstructing your pathetic human skeletons in museums for cultured elephants.

I think it took humans 10 million years.

So wouldn't it be cool (for their sake perhaps?) if Elephants did it in less?
    I saw a program about people with amazing abilities, and there was a blind artist on it... he'd been blind since birth, but would do great line drawings. So, as an experiment, they took him to Florence and described a hexagon building to him that they wanted him to draw - the idea being that a hexagonal shaped building might invite the use of perspective while a building with a flat front would not. Anyway, the blind guy used perspective! It was amazing.

Offili was ok, not my cup of tea. A lot of hype about religion and shit though.