Mac nerds help! (iBook RAM components R)

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
My DJ/S.erato setup has been glitching out lately (after running fine for a while) and I think I found the source of the problem. ...I had 786 Mb RAM but when I checked the "About This Mac" info it was only showing 256 Mb. After a little research online it looks like this is "an indication of failure of the RAM components on the logic board." (looked like logic board issues are common to G4 iBooks)I was going to take it in to the local Mac shop but would like to know what to tell them, as usual, and maybe what to expect. Can they just reset the logic board? Or replace the added RAM chip (512 Mb)? ...or is there more involved?Would I have to replace the logic board? how much might this run? $400+? thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    this happened to me. the RAM just went out and i replaced it. if you want to trouble shoot, maybe try sticking some older memory card you had in there previously in there (if you have it) and see if there's a difference in your numbers. if so, then it's just a bunk card. most of those have warranties, so you can replace it for free - you just have to wait for it. otherwise, you should be able to max it out at 1g or 1.25g with some new RAM which is advisable.

if not, maybe try the genius bar...

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    this happened to me. the RAM just went out and i replaced it. if you want to trouble shoot, maybe try sticking some older memory card you had in there previously in there (if you have it) and see if there's a difference in your numbers. if so, then it's just a bunk card. most of those have warranties, so you can replace it for free - you just have to wait for it. otherwise, you should be able to max it out at 1g or 1.25g with some new RAM which is advisable.

if not, maybe try the genius bar...
    genius bar won't touch it if its older than 4 years (or 5?) I think.

I'll try the RAM upgrade first and hope for the best. thanks

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    i just reread what i wrote and i sound like i can't spake anglish.

i've ordered RAM from these dudes 18004memory.com and haven't had any real issues. only once when the RAM crapped out, then they replaced it free-o-charge. RAM for older models is more expensive that stuff that's out for the new 'puters. maybe you can dig around and find something less expensive than the link i provided. maybe even see if anyone on craigslist is getting rid of an older ibook or RAM.

goodluck!

• you should try reseating the memory first if you havent tried that, and then replace...

• oh also, if you have a current applecare, they should replace the logic board fo free, there was a recall as i remember.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    they reseated the ram but it only came back as a 256 card, so I had them replace the bunk card with a gig of RAM and now its showing up as 1.25 G.
    I'll report back when I tet its gangsta