Elliott Smith

Mad Drama TeacherMad Drama Teacher 1,985 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Does anyone like this man's music?What's his best album?

Comments

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Does anyone like this man's music?

What's his best album?

Anyone who stabs themselves in the heart over a lover has got to make some soulful music.

I have always been a fan of his self titled album, which is available on vinyl.

• Coroner's office didn't confirm suicide.

I put that album as number three -- not counting the posthumous releases.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Big fan.
    He really doesn't have a bad record.
    My personal favorite is:

His cover of Big Star's "Thirteen" will break your heart, as will
    about half of his material for that matter.
    You can find that on the "Thumbsucker" S/T.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    I like his self title, Roman candle is pretty cool too.

Needle in the hay is a great example of why I like his stuff. Shit is just really powerful.

• His voice sounds almost exactly like Alex Chilton's, so the Big Star comparison doesn't surprise me. I was listening to Figure 8 with the classes yesterday when the likeness dawned on me. I didn't know he had recorded any Big Star songs until you mentioned it.

I put that album at number four.

• The way this thread was started, it was as if you were inquiring, and looking to get into his music.

Then, you tell people where you rate all the albums as you bring them up; it is clear you have opinions on his music. Why not share them with us, and we can have a conversation from there?

Not to be a dick; just seems misleading, and a bad way to start discussion.

• Yeah, I see what you mean. I guess it seems mean-spirited because nobody picked my favorite album first, right?

I think Figure 8 is his best album, followed by XO, and either s/t or Either Or.

I haven't listened to his first album.

I think From a Basement on the Hill is good, too -- not sure where to rank it.

I think Figure 8 is his best album because he was able to use the resources of a major label to try new things.

I like his music so much because he has a great concept of harmony -- he knows how to resolve. "LA" from Figure 8 is a great example of that. He reminds me of Bill Evans in that regard.

I don't listen to his music for the lyrics, but they're good, too.

Why do you guys prefer those earlier albums?

I think Figure 8 is his best album because he was able to use the resources of a major label to try new things.

Why do you guys prefer those earlier albums?

The songwriting on Either/Or is very Portland (the Rose Parade is an actual event, Alameda is a street
    a block away from my childhood home), it reminds me of a time a place.
    Elliott had been on a major before, check for this:

• It's hard to sweep away nostalgia.

• XO for me. I only got into his music through this LP. I do like Figure 8 and the earlier LP's but for me XO is solid from start to finish. Only regret is I used to only buy modern indie releases on CD at the time and now I want XO on vinyl but I ain't paying the $100+ to obtain it!

• Yeah, even though that's a transition album, it's still so solid. I think it has the most good songs on it, but the best songs from Figure 8 are so much better, IMO.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Coroner's office didn't confirm suicide.

I put that album as number three -- not counting the posthumous releases.

Dude - he stabbed himself. His apartment was locked, and he'd been in there alone for days.

As far as the music goes,

• His girlfriend killed him, man!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Where's Dr Wu?

Only regret is I used to only buy modern indie releases on CD at the time and now I want XO on vinyl but I ain't paying the $100+ to obtain it!

It just came back in print, you can get it for under $20.
    Same for Figure 8.

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    Either/Or is my favorite

Also, the 7" version of Distorted Reality is better than the album version