Turntable platter thump? (TTR)

jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
My technics make a super loud thump whenever needle dropping or touching the platter or body. I have checked the ground to the djm600 and it seems to be good, i just got new RCAs.Can any plaese offer some on reducing noise on a technics?It would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Check you needles? Also, do you have a gain control on your stereo/mixer that is turned up?

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    i just got new RCAs.

they're soldered in wrong. you're crossing polarity.
    disassemble, resolder.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    i just got new RCAs.

they're soldered in wrong. you're crossing polarity.

disassemble, resolder.

It's happening on both turntables but only one set of rcas was replaced, could it be that the polarity is crossing somewhere further down the line like out of the mixer?

I also tried a new cartridge and reduced all my gains well below the red. maybe my subwoofer is crossed over?

Thanks for the help y'all!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Sounds like your in to the twilight zone of testing everything one by one. Does it happen in the headphones? I would basically unplug everything and just start testing things one by one.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Hey! Awesome, not happening in the headphones. Hmmmm, should throw my reciever in the blender! Thanks.

Figured it out!

For anyone experiencing a similar problem, if you have the speaker cable crossed going into the sub, it will exhibit this behavior, basically kicking in the sub in whenever putting on a record and muffled overall bass.

Thanks all!