Classic BBoy vs. Alternative BBoy

djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
starting a new thread from that emo thing.Only real emo/alternative BBoy kids I've seen are Circus Runaways and The Freak Show. they got ill moves but half the time it's more of a contortionist show with no rhythm and kinda stops being "dancing" imho.Like I said I ride for Brickheads and LA Breakers, those are my homies. And Salah is the illest popper in the world, period. no emo kid can fuck with him...ever.

Comments

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    classical all the way! ridin for LOZ, but i'm mad in that circle of hip-hop these days.

i use to dj for Sole Tremorz, and Ground Control, which now those ex members make up part of Lionz of Zion

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Massive Monkees are fuckin ill, Killafornia is dope but most of those dudes are assholes.

the shit kids are doing these days blows my mind, I remember going to Brickhead parties in 95 and thinking hollowbacks were ill as fuck, hahaha.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    That emo thread got me thinking about that too.

Those abstract dudes look like they're on some Cirque du Soleil shit. It's b-boying, I guess. I'm not gonna hate on principal. They got some impressive moves, but I prefer the funky shit (real schitt?) much more.

I guess it's the like the b-boy version of really deep emo-rap. People who really like that alternative stuff but can't get with classic b-boying at all are people who don't like b-boying.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The alternative-b-boys never seem to be able to put together a full routine...but each of them always seem to have one single move that blows minds.

• And Salah is the illest popper in the world, period. no emo kid can fuck with him...ever.

I don't follow the B-boy scene at all, but a name from my past was Jr Boogaloo. Dude was a legend in San Diego back in day. I mean BACK in the day. I heard his name pop up again the last few years and have seen him around town so I searched youtube and saw a Jr Boogaloo Salah battle. Crazy that dude is still doing it. Still good too.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm going to go with a mixture of both.

The Old school has the flavor, the new school has the innovations.

I'll rep my crew Homegrown. Though we're not active right now, I will say we were ahead of our time.

- spidey

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Massive Monkees are fuckin ill,

Those guys are nuts. They showed a lot of their stuff on public TV in Seattle and I was always sorry I wasn't recording. Top-shelf indeed!

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

I'll rep my crew Homegrown. Though we're not active right now, I will say we were ahead of our time.

- spidey

you guys out of Vegas? I don't know any of the Vegas bboys but I remember one crew from there at the last Floor Wars (I think?) that was ill.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

- spidey

you guys out of Vegas? I don't know any of the Vegas bboys but I remember one crew from there at the last Floor Wars (I think?) that was ill.

Knuckleheadz?

Yep, Vegas crew. Lots of HARD crews in vegas.

Currently theres:

Us, Full Force, Knuckleheads, Battle Born, Uncommon Alliance.

- spidey

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    I'd like to introduce the third catagory... which is the LA Hollywood professional dancer B-boy.

Man.... These dudes are the worst IMHO. They take up the whole floor and do what i view as impersonations of B-boys... is this Hollywood only... or just the new trend with all those wack "Whos the illest Dancer!!" shows.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• I'm going to go with a mixture of both.

- spidey

AHEAD OF YOUR TIME?????

• Isotopes or the Dukes???
    either way burque is dope!!!
    big shot out to PFR!!!! Marvel and company. real bboys.

• EL NINO....LEAN ROCK. .FLOOR LORDS/ FLAVA SQUAD.

- spidey

AHEAD OF YOUR TIME?????

Do you know a lot about Bboying? I'd be glad to explain it to you. It's my opinion, and I stand by it.

- spidey

• It's been a looong time since I went to one of these bboy battles, but I gotta say that these emo dudes seem like the unfortunate logical progression of all new-school bboying: mainly that there's not enough actual DANCING in the dancing. I cannot take anything away from some of the power moves, and dudes definitely all have a future in Cirque De Soliel, but they aren't really paying any attention to the music/beat/rhythm, etc. and as someone else said, the funk just isn't there and really, the funk is EVERYTHING.

It's been a looong time since I went to one of these bboy battles, but I gotta say that these emo dudes seem like the unfortunate logical progression of all new-school bboying: mainly that there's not enough actual DANCING in the dancing. I cannot take anything away from some of the power moves, and dudes definitely all have a future in Cirque De Soliel, but they aren't really paying any attention to the music/beat/rhythm, etc. and as someone else said, the funk just isn't there and really, the funk is EVERYTHING.

The dance is always changing, so props to them for trying to innovate and come up with something new. There influence was pretty big, but it really didn't make it that far out of CALI. The real pioneers of the circus style, I'd give to Sour patch from Arizona.

Real bboys are still holding it down, and though they're not BIG internationally, we hold it down in small circles.

^ Though nobody in that video is in my crew, I've danced and chilled with damn near everyone in that video. Props to them for holding it down.

- spidey

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

^ Though nobody in that video is in my crew, I've danced and chilled with damn near everyone in that video. Props to them for holding it down.

- spidey

i really fuckin enjoyed watching that.

great shit.