The Airmen of Note?

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Are there any albums by these guys that are worthwhile? Do they ever get funky? Any specific titles I should look out for?Thanks!

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Personally, I've never heard anything by them that really impressed me too heavily.

"Big band funk." If that's your thing, you'll be happy.

• That's what I figured. I thought I heard some rumblings somewhere that they had some heat.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I like the light blue border one.

• Happy birthday!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'll cosign on that album Motown is talking about. I like any version of "Valdez in the Country."

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    yes

I guess people don't know. there is one with a fantastic guitar player and female vocalist and OTRC.

• OTRC? What's that?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I used one of their records in my Soulstrut mix from a while back. Like Oliver said, it's big band stuff, but they have their moments. I have a box set of theirs that was used for Air Force radio that has a whole bunch of interesting things on it. It's pretty hit and miss though and best for sampling and mixes (IMO). It's not something I would throw on to listen to at home.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I don't know about full albums, but I have a 6LP Air Force box set that has a number of songs by them, including a version of "For Once In My Life". I slowed it down a notch and started chopping it around the point where there's a brief piano melody, and it worked nicely. I had done it for a project that unfortunately didn't get off the ground, but the drums on it was a bit of "accidental funk" so...

I would agree with Day, you almost expect Doc Severinsen to come into the studio and play a solo for everyone.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    OTRC? What's that?

Here goes. Buy yours in a hurry because everyone on the internets will now know.

On The Red Clay off of the Airmen Of Note lp Crystal Gardens.

It's a 2 record set with a white cover with some art work from 1985.

Great version of OTRC with female vocals from Bobbie McCleary.

Throughout the record there is the stunning guitar work of Rick Whitehead.

I think both Bobbie and Rick play the jazz clubs around DC Baltimore.

So if you like big band jazz with great vocals and guitar and moments of funk, and you do not have this record you need to step up your game.