What is it about gospel groups...

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
...with the Nightingales/Nightengales moniker that make them kick all kinds of ass?The Sensational Nightingales, the Mississippi Nightingales, The Michigan Nightingales...I will pay money for the Calvery Nightengales (sic) on Bounty and Swanee Nightengales (sic) on JCR. That is all.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Ollie Hoskins of the Dixie Nightingales loved that word so much, he even kept it when his group when secular (Ollie & the Nightingales), and even when he went solo he STILL wouldn't let it go (Ollie Nightingale).

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    back in grade school music class we had different levels of singers. there were finches, something else(maybe cardinals, i forget) but the best singers in the class were nightengales. the teacher was a nun or something who lived in lasalette, which is some catholic compound type deal.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Ollie Hoskins of the Dixie Nightingales loved that word so much, he even kept it when his group when secular (Ollie & the Nightingales), and even when he went solo he STILL wouldn't let it go (Ollie Nightingale).

I've heard that the Ollie Nightingale solo effort on Pride is great stuff, but it keeps going for $$$. Does anyone have this on file?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

I've heard that the Ollie Nightingale solo effort on Pride is great stuff, but it keeps going for $$$. Does anyone have this on file?

closest i have is the 70's Pride "history of soul" comp which i believe has 2 of his tracks on it. i hope i still have it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

closest i have is the 70's Pride "history of soul" comp which i believe has 2 of his tracks on it. i hope i still have it.

I have the Pride single of "May The Best Man Win," which was a hit and is still findable in used stores for cheap. The song itself is just as good as the Stax sides. The flip is merely okay, not as strong as the hit side; but then again, what would you expect from a mere flip side anyway?

I think one or both of these songs are on the History Of Soul comp mentioned above.

I also have a CD comp of his later '90s-era soul-blues stuff ("I'll Drink Your Bath Water, Baby"), but I'm assuming that stuff doesn't matter much to you! :-)