CLAPTON IS GOD

HamHam 872 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
What is this bullshit I hear about he stole this from here and this from here and he stole everything from here and WHUTEVZ! Clapton has his own sound and you can instantly recognise it and he is one of the masters of the ("modern") blues.AGREED?

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm gonna assume you're joking

Crapton:

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    I guess... I think his stuff is stale. His work with cream was tight.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    actually i'm mostly talking about the cream years. the other shit i could(n't) ( skel!) care less about.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    No.

Clapton is dull and derivative.

I ride for Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers, some Cream, some Derek
    and the Dominoes. But the whole "God" thing is a joke.

Dude is like the 74th best guitarist of his generation, not the 1st,
    2nd or even 10th. You must deal.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    of course the god thing is a joke. but it isnt like he is wack or anything.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I ride for Yardbirds

Its worth noting that he quit the Yardbirds when they started getting interesting (he thought they were straying too far from the pure blues sound - at least thats what I've read)

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Delete this thread and save your self-respect.

I wouldn't even say 74th... he really just wasn't that good.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    WHAT IN THE WORRRRRLD.

he was good as hell. you must not know the rael. fuck everything after cream. just ride for some yardbirds, bluesbreakers, etc. i'm not saying he's the best guitarist, i'm just saying, he is not the wackest biter evere like some folks would make him out to be. brittish blues = clapton.

brittish blues = clapton.

Dude, please stop. He's not even in the top 10
    UK blues guitarists. What was the point of this
    thread, if you can't even really ride for this guy?

• HamHam 872 Posts
    name them. he is certainly my #1 brittishishish blues gutarrist. i'm drunk as hellzz though so maybe i am forgetting somebody. peter green may be sharing #1.

My defining Clapton-as-fraud moment came when I finally
    heard the Otis Rush original version of "All Your Love,"
    the song that kicks of the Bluesbreakers with Clapton LP ...
    for years I would use that song as evidence of how great
    Clapton was, the reverb-drenched solo would blow my mind, and
    I was convinced it was the genius of Clapton ... until I heard
    the Otis Rush OG - Clapton's playing on the Bluesbreakers LP
    is a NOTE-FOR-NOTE COPY of Rush. Nothing changed, nothing tweaked,
    the reverb effect is the exact same sound, everything.

And that's the problem with Clapton. He's great at copying all the
    real blues guitarists that came before him, he is technically pure
    and had a great sound, but his "classic" riffs are bites, plain and
    simple. Sorry.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    it's sad to admit but i laughed when i read that batshit insane guy from Brian Jonestown Massacre claiming Clapton pushed his son out the window.

• "Clapton Shreds" is hilarious!

I love how the band tries to go into free jazz mode to save the embarrassment!

EDIT: Oh no, it's a fake!

• HamHam 872 Posts
    please post the original otis rush version of all your love, i havent heard it. is it on youtube? but i'm pretty sure i will still love clapton after i've heard it.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I liked Clapton a long time ago when I thought the blues was about flashy guitar. Now Clapton has recorded a lot of stuff, and some of it is good, or at least ok.

A few months back I picked up some Cream, and I liked that stuff when it came out, so I was excited to listen to it again. For me (and most know I'm not much of a rock fan) it all sucked. Neither Clapton or Bruce can sing well enough to make any of the songs listenable.

What really turned me off to Clapton is for decades he has talked about how his soul is deeper than other peoples. He talks about a spiritual connection to Robert Johnson that makes him the only person who really understands RJ. Her is a secret about almost everything he has done since Cream. He leans on other guitarist. Allman plays the high notes on Layla, other people play the RJ guitar parts on his recent RJ records, Robert Cray played a lot of the leads on his 80s stuff and on and on.

So best British blues guitar players?
    Well I think Jeff Beck is great. Peter Green is ok and Black Magic Woman a great song. John Mark, hes good. I can't think of any others.

Peter Green is ok

BAN

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    when I clicked on this thread I thought it said CAPLETON is God...Clapton is not quite as fiery

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Peter Green is ok

BAN

You don't like Peter Green?

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    my roommate picked this record out at random, which i had never listened to before. i enjoyed the reggae-esque sound of some of the songs; it was a good surprise.

[/img]

Peter Green is ok

BAN

You don't like Peter Green?

uhh, no - in the context of the discussion I think
    "Peter Green is ok" is a gross understatement.

Peter Green >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eric Clapton

I cant wait to sell my mint crossroads boxset though. My dad rode for him though... so I guess maybe im missing something.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    oh god no. clapton = no soul. most overrated robotic guitar player ever

see him vs robbie robertson in the last waltz. his playing reminds me of a stuffy professor giving a lecture. sorry, i really can't stand clapton

• HamHam 872 Posts

A few months back I picked up some Cream, and I liked that stuff when it came out, so I was excited to listen to it again. For me (and most know I'm not much of a rock fan) it all sucked. Neither Clapton or Bruce can sing well enough to make any of the songs listenable.

Bruce singing is one of the great things about cream. I still like Clapton & cream, but ive yet to hear anything better in the same context. The opening solo from sitting on top of the world on "goodbye" is my favorite shit ever. And the overall sound, felix papalardi and all.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    exhibit a

i think he is a cyborg

• HamHam 872 Posts
    you must understand the roboticness though. it's one of the things.

or whatever.
    peter green is god.

• I don't see anything wrong with that clip.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    me neither.

Edith, what would you recommend to "top" that or whatever in the same style

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    oh god no. clapton = no soul. most overrated robotic guitar player ever

see him vs robbie robertson in the last waltz. his playing reminds me of a stuffy professor giving a lecture. sorry, i really can't stand clapton

maybe overrated, but i enjoyed "discovering" him via music filesharing when i lived in a dorm. also, a lot better than the stuffy professors i'm used to.