Labels (Both Sides Now related)

GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Both Sides Now is great but is still missing some labels that I would like to know more about. I realize that it can't have every small label listed but some of the bigger ones like blue note, prestige, casablanca, epic etc. is missing. It would be nice to know the full catalouge(or most of it), and get catalouge numbers for every release on a label, but really the main thing for me is to know how the labels switched in different periodes. I never remember when casablance switched from blue to brown label and I also think there were two different kinds of brown labels on casablanca, one with certain letters typed in and one without. Is there any place on the internet to check for those missing labels or any books I should get? I know they exist as I've seen them but don't know the names and where to get them.and by the way, does anyone have info on the muza label?I have Czerwone Gitary: ???Rytm Ziemi??? with both blue and orange label! which is the first press?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Here is a site with pictures of lots of label variations with no other info attached.

Here is some jazz discographys without label info.

Perhaps it is time for us to ask BSN what they need to put up Blue Note and Strata East discographys, and then help them do it.

Dan

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Here is the ultimate Jazz Discog page, still under construction but bananas in it's completeness. Ultimate Jazz Dicogs
    Includes the only Blue Note 45 catalog. One thing good to say about the Japanese (apart from their crazy good lock & loll bands) is they are thorough in their research.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    Those sites are cool as well,(have seen the jazz discography before) but what I need is a guide to determine how a label should look. I know they exist. They have one at my local record store. It's really a helpful guide, as it lists how every label changed through different periodes and show how promo labels looked like as well.

For instance with the casablanca label. They switched from blue to brown, and I think the brown label have like 3 variations. Very tiny details where they typed some letters into it for a small periode. I can't remember exactly what.

And the book really included many labels. Unfortunately they(the record store) got it many years ago and it's only a copy from the original book. So they can't really help much.