SURFACE NOISE: Yes Or No?

2»

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    a good phono stage makes a difference.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    And a Milty Zerostat. Bapt's record sounds lik it needs to take a spin on a vpi or nitty gritty. There's no pop or ticks.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Once again, NO.

I just received this today :

DivShare File - Ellis Regina Surface Noise.mp3

Dude, on ebay, is selling it as EX

sounds more like static and dirt than a scratchy record. i bet if you clean it and play it with the right needle, it could sound EX.

ive had records that i played with one needle, and it sounded VG--, with another it sounded VG+. i swear to god. it makes a SERIOUS difference.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Once again, NO.

sounds more like static and dirt than a scratchy record. i bet if you clean it and play it with the right needle, it could sound EX.

ive had records that i played with one needle, and it sounded VG--, with another it sounded VG+. i swear to god. it makes a SERIOUS difference.

Dude, I do know the deal yo!

I use a grado cartridge (green or grey) and a Dynavector 10x5 on a thorens turntable (td145 and td160)... and most of my records are NM, VG++ and sound EX.

Please!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I get way mroe anoyed by the screach you hear when a guitar player slides his hands up/down the guitar neck durring a song. I can't belive they don't deal with that in the studio.

FUCK THAT!!! I LIKE THAT SHIT!!! REVERSE WHAT YOU SAID RIGHT NOW. WHAT'S NEXT, YOU DON'T LIKE PEOPLE BREATHING BEFORE THEY SING, SO YOU REMOVE THAT FOR THE FINAL MIX? GOD DAMMIT!!!

Not sure if you are serious.......but you usually hear that with lazy guitar players who have the distortion cranked.

BTW - what the hell is that photo? Looks like something really good is about to happen.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Once again, NO.

Dude, I do know the deal yo!

I use a grado cartridge (green or grey) and a Dynavector 10x5 on a thorens turntable (td145 and td160)... and most of my records are NM, VG++ and sound EX.

Please!

I'd gruv glide that or Last it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I get way mroe anoyed by the screach you hear when a guitar player slides his hands up/down the guitar neck durring a song. I can't belive they don't deal with that in the studio.

FUCK THAT!!! I LIKE THAT SHIT!!! REVERSE WHAT YOU SAID RIGHT NOW. WHAT'S NEXT, YOU DON'T LIKE PEOPLE BREATHING BEFORE THEY SING, SO YOU REMOVE THAT FOR THE FINAL MIX? GOD DAMMIT!!!

Not sure if you are serious.......but you usually hear that with lazy guitar players who have the distortion cranked.

I usually hear that weird finger-on-string sound on ACOUSTIC guitar records, so distortion isn't even in the picture.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Surface noise is part of vinyl. Why is this even a question? When you first put the needle down you get that initial snap/crackle/pop and it let's you know your in for a treat.

Hell I have MP3's and CD's that skip.

so so true. i bought a few sealed records and they skiped, popped, clicked and had a pressing defect. hey, it's vinyl. All formats of recording have issues. Vinyl, CD's, MP3's, shit I hated cassettes when that hissing sound started drowning out the music.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    JAPANESE PRESSED DMM BRIAN ENO WITH OBI IS QUIET NAWMEAN?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    it depends on the music... like for old soul stuff, i don't mind it a little, i swear certain records sound good w/ a little noise...

BUT, it drives me crazy when it's in the quiet part of 10 minute long psych songs and shit... some records need to be clean...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    The most annoying kind of surface noise are those patches of the record that fuzz on every rotation (and out of sync with the music).

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The most annoying kind of surface noise are those patches of the record that fuzz on every rotation (and out of sync with the music).

Yeah, that's the only kind of (playable) surface noise that's ever gotten on my last good nerves. And even then, sometimes that depends on the needle being used. I don't know what this "fuzz" thing is called (and it only happens with 7" singles), but it is a botheration.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Not sure if you are serious.
    Most likely I was not.

BTW - what the hell is that photo? Looks like something really good is about to happen.

I'm still trying to figure it out. The guy in black, pointing at him... doesn't quite made sense.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Once again, NO.

Man, that sounds like chicken frying.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

I usually hear that weird finger-on-string sound on ACOUSTIC guitar records, so distortion isn't even in the picture.

Yea, you hear it there too. But I hear it a lot on rock and metal as well.