HS Students Protest War-Go Medieval on City Hall

JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
This Made My Day:Students protest fifth anniversary of Iraq war in Portland demonstrationProtesters, primarily high-schoolers but some older, some younger, walked out of their schools to gather downtownFriday, March 21, 2008ANNIE MARTINThe Oregonian StaffCapping a week of anti-war protests in Portland timed to coincide with the fifth anniversary of the invasion of Iraq, hundreds of students crowded the entrance to City Hall on Thursday afternoon.The sound of protesters chanting "Not my president, not my war," could be heard for blocks. A teenage boy yelled "We are the future!" and the crowd erupted into cheers. Some protesters climbed the building's walls and pillars as city employees watched from their windows.Most of the students walked out of area high schools in the late morning. College students and some younger than high school also mingled in the crowd, which numbered at least 400. Kiana Hamilton, 16, said she thinks the United States is at war for "the wrong reasons," which include "trying to introduce democracy but not being able to substantiate it." The Wilson High School junior doesn't think she'll face any serious punishment when she returns to school tomorrow."I feel like it was a good thing," Hamilton said. "I'll take the consequences, if there are any."Most students gathered in the North Park Blocks before the march began about 1 p.m. From there, they walked along the sidewalks to the South Park Blocks, City Hall, the Wells Fargo Center, Pioneer Courthouse Square, Tom McCall Waterfront Park and the Portland State University campus, where most eventually dispersed. Many carried signs calling for peace.Police arrested four students between 15 and 17 years old, Sgt. Brian Schmautz said. Two others were issued citations for disobeying a traffic control device.Portland State University student Steve McKimmy, 22, followed the protesters to City Hall. McKimmy was glad to see teenagers and young adults becoming politically active, he said."I've never seen a protest where the average age is 14, 15, 16 years old," he said. "Look at it. These kids don't even have facial hair. When was the last time you saw a protest where three-fourths of the guys weren't bearded?"The walkout was organized by more than a dozen students representing several high schools and Lewis & Clark College. Most of the students heard about the event through fliers the group distributed, word of mouth and social networking sites such as Facebook. Organizer Stella Byrne, 18, said she was pleased with the size of the crowd, and called the walkout "a smashing success." The St. Mary's Academy senior said she and the others have been planning the event since early February."I think the solidarity of our students is incredible," Byrne said, adding that it took "a lot of courage" for many students to leave their schools without permission.Byrne and another organizer, Sarah Levy, 18, said they hoped the march would show that students aren't apathetic, even if most can't yet vote. "Students need to keep building bridges," Levy, a senior at Lincoln High School, said. "We're all in this together."Addie Ulrich, 16, said she hoped the protest would show others that people her age are concerned about the war. Ulrich, a sophomore at Tualatin High School, said "it seems like the people who don't get to vote have the most opinions."Even though her mom didn't want her to go to the protest -- and she'll probably receive detention when she gets back to school -- Ulrich said the walkout was worth it."There's no way that a block of students yelling 'Peace' can not make people think," she said. Video Link here:http://www.kgw.com/video/index.html?nvid=228881&shu=1They look like ants scaling the wall of City Hall. If it were older protesters there would have no doubt been rubber bullets and pepper spray flying everywhere. I hope they realize their power and influence and keep up the speak. I like how they asked the Mayor why there were recruiters at their school. Even if they didn't have a clear agenda they, they still gave me some hope and that is hard to come by these days.

Comments

• Hate to break this to you alice but

a)these brats have no power

b)this protest, like 99.7% of all protests, will have no practical effects whatsoever

c)they were more interested in this protest as an excuse to skip school than they were in 'affecting change'

d)your bank is dwarfed by mine

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Hate to break this to you alice but

b)this protest, like 99.7% of all protests, will have no practical effects whatsoever

c)they were more interested in this protest as an excuse to skip school than they were in 'affecting change'

d)I have a dwarf penis

I truly can't tell if this dude is real.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    yeah, ya know , this story probably won't get any national coverage....unless Obama happens to mention it in his speech tomorrow, which probably won't happen either. And maybe its not the "power" they have right now but empowerment instead.

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts

d)your bank is dwarfed by mine

Is that Ted Nugent?

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts

a) do 14 year olds pay income taxes?

b) all i ever cared about while in class was a way to get out of class for a little bit

c) should kids even worry when they're not even old enough to join the service/vote?

d) sorry i can't hear you here in DC from all the way in portland. your little voices are going to have to speak louder! or send an "e-mail petition"

huh? whut?

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Anyone with a job pays taxes, in some states you can get a job at 14 or 15. You don't have to pay taxes to vote so I don't really see your point. The war doesn't have anything to do with voting either, obviously.

There are plenty of 18 year olds still in high school, there are also plenty of High Schools that allow Military Recruiters on campus, plus that whole Selective Service thing.

I think generalizing and stating that ALL kids just want to skip class is Fuuckin' stupid and ignorant.

It isn't about what impact they made on the nation, I already said it wouldn't make national news, and they didn't really have a well thought out plan what to ask the Mayor. I just thought it was kind of romantic the way they charged city hall and demanded to see the "leader" It reminded me of something out of the dark ages. I know it would not have happened that way if they were older, so perhaps they/we should realize they have a voice and might even have a better chance at being heard because they obviously don't face the same consequences.

it moved me.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Keep in mind that Dolo is British and doesn't really know much about actual American life.

• I'm pretty sure the biggest protest ever held was when Marshall Fields changed their name to Macy's...

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Wow. I'm glad they did this. The peace sign in the video was cool. However I'm willing to bet half those kids where just down to skip school so they can match bowls. I applaud there actions though. It's good to see the youth voicing concerns and being heard.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    All you all are so cynical.

These kids will be over there dying soon if John McCain is elected. Many of their brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, uncles, cousins have already been over there. Just because none of you have sacrificed for one minute because of this war doesn't mean these kids have not.

I don't know what it was like when you were in school, but if I was skipping school for fun, I went and had fun. I didn't need an excuse like a march to skip school.

Almost every change that has ever happened in this country was through this kind of collective action.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm all for any protest of this war. In fact, we really need to step up our game. Because while we can sit here and say protesting does nothing. Well, it does more than actually doing nothing does...that's for sure.

Nowadays, we all laugh at Bill Walton. But I was watching the UCLA Dynasty documentary on HBO the other night and at least when he was younger, dude had the balls to go out onto the streets, seriously protest the Vietnam war, and even withstand arrest for his actions. In the doc, it's great when the school chancellor recounts when the cops were dragging students away from a particular protest that Walton filipped him the bird and said "fuck you, Chuck".

Seriously people, wack ass Bill Walton was 100 times hipper than you are.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    from the looks of the pic it was far, far fewer people than lined up for the iPhone. now THAT was some collective action the likes of which we haven't seen in a while.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    When I read "Student Protest - Go Medieval" I was hoping this was going to involve LARPers & swords made of styrofoam & duct tape.