Crate Digging Pet Peeves

AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Whenever I go to the thrift store, I discover record upon record of Christmas and holiday music. So much music created for one lousy month of supposed peace and joy. I have to sift through dozens of "Wintertime Favorites" just to get to the shitload of Barbara Streisand. The Jingle Bells and Silent Nights are getting annoying.How bout yall?

Comments

• autoauto 198 Posts
    when the records are squeezed in the shelf tight so you cant flip em

when the top shelf is so high you can barely see the records youre flippin

you got a bolt inside of the shelf sticking out obstructing the flip of the records

records that are put in backwards and then some are forwards and then some are backwards and upside down

urine stained records

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The Jingle Bells and Silent Nights are getting annoying.

• If you could disappear one album from the earth.. which would it be?

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    re issues mixed in with the original pressings.....

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    MF'rs getting all the good records before I get there!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

as if you couldn't tell the difference 9 times out of 10?

dealers who dont put price tags on their records

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

as if you couldn't tell the difference 9 times out of 10?

That 10th one irritates the shit out of me though - now that some of those exact boots are 10+ years old sometimes the sleeves are worn and everything...

This is either the best or the worst thing depending on who you're dealing with

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Mawfuckin' common records that are not priced to move.

It's usually the worst thing, 'cause if there's no prices on the rekkid, that's shorthand for "it ain't cheap." 'Specially after eBay was invented. I realize that record dealers gotta make a living too, and everything won't be a bargain, but even so, I'd just like to know what's what before I take it to the counter.

It's usually the worst thing, 'cause if there's no prices on the rekkid, that's shorthand for "it ain't cheap." 'Specially after eBay was invented. I realize that record dealers gotta make a living too, and everything won't be a bargain, but even so, I'd just like to know what's what before I take it to the counter.

I've actually only had a few bad experiences w/this - most of the time in my neck of the woods it means "everything's a dollar 'cept Elvis & Beatles" (sometimes Hendrix might get thrown in too)

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

This is both bad and good.

Bad because it's like "Oh shit!...oh... " And then you see the same damn reissues staring at you in the face every time you go to the record store.

Good because a lot of dudes hesitate to go through every section, cuz it's a pain in the ass.

This is really evident at record shows. I know a dealer like this. He basis everything on conditon and how much he had to pay.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    when the records are squeezed in the shelf tight so you cant flip em

when the top shelf is so high you can barely see the records youre flippin

you got a bolt inside of the shelf sticking out obstructing the flip of the records

records that are put in backwards and then some are forwards and then some are backwards and upside down

urine stained records

or when the paper sleeve inside the cover is all wrinkled and crumpled up and you're at the store trying to shove it back in

water stained and moldy rotting records for sale, getting record cover rot all over my black sweater

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Having to leave my apartment and talk to people.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Having to leave my apartment and talk to people.

There was a record store owner in Sydney that obviously thought this about working in his own record store. He eventually closed it down and sold exclussively on-line.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    My ideal situation would involve people bringing records to my door, knocking, and then running away before I answered. I would then be free to browse at my leisure and leave cash with the rejects which could then be carted off in the night.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    My ideal situation would involve people bringing records to my door, knocking, and then running away before I answered. I would then be free to browse at my leisure and leave cash with the rejects which would could then be carted off in the night.

Going to one of these newer thrift stores where 45's are now $2 simply because they're 45's. They could be scratchy and sleeveless copies of common Donna Summer singles, but they're still two dollars. Bogus.

(And I'm talkin' thrift stores, not used record stores.)

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My ideal situation would involve people bringing records to my door, knocking, and then running away before I answered. I would then be free to browse at my leisure and leave cash with the rejects which could then be carted off in the night.

See, I like meeting people and hearing their stories. I find it enlightening and interesting. Yall need to appreciate life more.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

See, I like meeting people and hearing their stories. I find it enlightening and interesting. Yall need to appreciate life more.

But you don't liek RECORDS THAT SUCK.

Going to one of these newer thrift stores where 45's are now $2 simply because they're 45's. They could be scratchy and sleeveless copies of common Donna Summer singles, but they're still two dollars. Bogus.

HMM. thrift stores have 45's? Most around here don't and the ones that do...expect alot of mold and warps.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    THE EMPTY SLEEVE

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts

i hate paying $2 a piece for thrift store records. i loved getting 45s for 50 cents last time i went to the thrift store. made up for the fact that the music sucked.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

"Hi, welcome to Rasputins. Hope you're looking for Scorpio bootlegs! Lol. You must deal"

That place is str8 sux0r.

• If you could disappear one album from the earth.. which would it be?

Since no one else is going to answer this pressing question.. I personally would eliminate the entire Firestone X-Mas series, followed closely by Mantovani.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    thrift store cover that makes your heart skip a beat - but nothing inside.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Junk Store Owner:

"Those/that one/these aren't actually for sale"

Me:

"Well, Since I just picked out most the good ones Do you want me to price them for you as well"

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    we put reissues with the other pressings well, becuase our store is organized by genre...and a record goes where it belongs...a "reissue" or "current reissue" section is dumb, really dumb mainly because most timmy dig a lots think just becasue it is old it is original, not knowing that that Marvin Gaye LP is actually a second or third press...I find that folks that scoff at "reissues" and that are only after OGs(or what they think are OG) are some silly dudes...just flip past that reissue G, it aint hurtin anyone...