Channel imbalance

ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I've never had this problem before and it's really bugging me. I'm trying to record some vinyl and I'm getting about +2db difference in the left channel. At first I thought it might be the mixer or Ser.ato but I've ruled that out now. I've tried both decks, different cartridges, different laptops, different audio interfaces, new carts... anybody got any ideas? I'm starting to think it could be the tonearm but that seems unlikely if it's both turntables.

Comments

• Did you try messing w/ your antiskate? It can pull your needle towards one side of the groove more than the other and affect volume per side.

Its worth a shot. Good luck

Maybe try reversing your rca's and see if the problem persists.

peace.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I did try the fiddling with the anti-skate but I can't tell any difference. Sound Forge is still showing around 2db of difference between channels. I will try swapping the RCAs tonight and see what effect that has, but I'm sure that will just reverse the problem.

It may still have something to do with the anti-skate though.. I've heard of Techs having problems with the anti-skate after a while, but on both decks seems unlikely.

I'm using Shure 44-7s currently on Technics 1200 mkIIs that are about 7 years old. They're in great shape since I've only brought them out of the house on a couple of occasions.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I'm getting this as well. I use M-Box 2 and to level things out I just have the right channel a bit louder. I'd love to know why this happens though.