McCain: "I hate the gooks."

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
How did I miss this?
Arizona Sen. John McCain refused to apologize yesterday for his use of a racial slur to condemn the North Vietnamese prison guards who tortured and held him captive during the war."I hate the gooks," McCain said yesterday in response to a question from reporters aboard his campaign bus. "I will hate them as long as I live."[/b]McCain, a former Navy pilot who spent five years in a Vietnamese prisoner of war camp, was questioned about the language because of a story last month in the Nation magazine reporting his continued use of the slur.Since then, reports of McCain's language have been circulating on Internet chat sites and e-mails among Asian Americans, many of whom find the the term offensive and inappropriate for an elected official.McCain's appeal to voters has been as a wartime hero and a feisty politician who speaks his mind and damns the consequences. But his comments on the eve of the key South Carolina primary show the candidate's vaunted "straight talk" in another light."The use of a racist slur can't be acceptable for any national leader, regardless of his background," said Diane Chin, executive director of the San Francisco-based Chinese for Affirmative Action. "For someone running for president not to recognize the power of words is a problem."While McCain's words may have little effect in conservative South Carolina, where few Asian Americans live, they could come back to haunt him in other states."Historically, straight talkers who say things off the top of their heads eventually hang themselves with those sorts of remarks," said Bruce Cain, a political scientist at the University of California at Berkeley."While it might not hurt him now, Democrats are not going to have any hesitation about using this stuff to string him up later."TERM FOR HIS CAPTORSMcCain made no apologies yesterday."I was referring to my prison guards," McCain said, "and I will continue to refer to them in language that might offend some people because of the beating and torture of my friends."McCain made it clear that his anger extends only toward his captors. As a senator, he was one of the leaders of the postwar effort to normalize U.S. relations with Vietnam.Campaign officials do not expect the controversy to hurt McCain, either in tomorrow's South Carolina primary or later in the campaign."If people understood the context, they wouldn't be upset," Mike Murphy, a senior adviser to the campaign, said last night.
More here:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/02/18/MN32194.DTL

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    it's funny; someone sent me the same SFGate link recently, as if this had just happened. it must have been linked recently from another more recent article.

anyway he said that back when he was "CARZY JOHN MCCAIN!!!" and no it's not so funny since he could be pres....

this will get some play in the general; no doubt.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    It is consistent for him. This cycle he has laughed at Hillary Clinton being called a bitch. He has seeked and received an endorsement from Hagee who hates America and says that Katrina is retribution for America's Israel policy. Hagee also likes spraying his hate speech towards gays and Jews. He is gearing up to "bomb bomb Iran"* while at the same time acknowledging that he has no understanding of Iran. It was McCain's campaign that started the circulation of the Rev Wright videos and then a video that quotes Wright side by side with Obama's speech.

Anyone who thinks that McCain is not a racist, imperialist, warmonger will be very disappointed when he becomes president.

*Actual John McCain quote.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    That is some crazy crazy schitt.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    It was McCain's campaign that started the circulation of the Rev Wright videos

Plaese to post the proof that McCain's people started the Wright fiasco.

I'd like to show it to some folks.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I'm not an apologist for McCain by an stretch(being Vietnamese-American myself) and the dude is clearly bustin' some crazy talk, but he was one of the biggest supporters of normalizing diplomatic relationship with Vietnam in the mid-90's (thus leading to the economic boom currently enjoyed there). I'd probably be a little bitter too after spending a few years in a Hanoi prison.

• Does this fall under the "past experiences made him angry" clause?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i dont see this getting traction. all it does is drive the narrative about obama being 'making things about race'

besides, it directly contradicts obama's stated desire to make the race about issues rather than 'smears' - and while i think john mccain using racial slurs is hard to consider a 'smear,' to the broader electorate (aka whitey) it is comparable to obama saying his gramma is a 'typical white person'

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    i dont see this getting traction. all it does is drive the narrative about obama being 'making things about race'

besides, it directly contradicts obama's stated desire to make the race about issues rather than 'smears'

I kinda hate that Obama has painted himself into a corner in this respect and that any kind of dirt he throws back toward those who try to smear him gets played like he's not keeping his promise.

It was McCain's campaign that started the circulation of the Rev Wright videos

Plaese to post the proof that McCain's people started the Wright fiasco.

I'd like to show it to some folks.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080320/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_obama_video

This was today, they did the same thing last week. Try google.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    has there ever been an aethist president? i mean honestly, i think there should be an impartial robot of no race, no sex, no creed elected president. at this point i'd rather trust algorithms to biased humanity.

• That doesn't prove that McCain's camp started it. All it proves is that some low-level flunky tried to distribute a new video.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I thought the McCain/gook thing was hella old. He's managed to play this off time and time again under the auspices of "I'm allowed to call torturers anything I want" and most people seem accepting of that. I just wonder what would happen in a general debate if that lets loose. I don't think it bother McCain's core constituency but I don't know how it'd play with the tweeners.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    has there ever been an aethist president?

No, and it'll probably be another century before we get one.

When hell freezes over.

Oh wait...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I thought the McCain/gook thing was hella old. He's managed to play this off time and time again under the auspices of "I'm allowed to call torturers anything I want" and most people seem accepting of that. I just wonder what would happen in a general debate if that lets loose. I don't think it bother McCain's core constituency but I don't know how it'd play with the tweeners.

yeah he tried to place it in context, as in he specifically meant it in reference to his viet cong tormentors.

I mean the truth is a lot of whacky McCain-related things have never mattered...until now. the mind boggles, actually, that this guy is now the GOP nominee and has a far-better-than-a-long-shot chance at being leader of the free world.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

yeah he tried to place it in context, as in he specifically meant it in reference to his viet cong tormentors.

Yeah, I know. I really thought this was old news - he went through this years ago I remember and it was the same shit: "I'm not going to apologize for calling my torturers gooks." And it's hard a hard position to critique but I wonder how it'd play out different if his torturers had been, say, African.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Yeah, I know. I really thought this was old news - he went through this years ago I remember and it was the same shit: "I'm not going to apologize for calling my torturers gooks." And it's hard a hard position to critique but I wonder how it'd play out different if his torturers had been, say, African American.

Patty Hearst.....

• has there ever been an aethist president?

Mussolini, Stalin, the Khmer Rouge, Mao.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    So all atheist presidents are dictators or what is it you're suggesting?

• Please -- you're not that stupid and neither am I.

• I'm suprised no one has started an email smear campaign saying that Obama is an atheist. It would probably go down worse in this country than the rumours that he is a Muslim.

• Church attendance is quite low in the USA.

• damagedamage 118 Posts
    Please -- you're not that stupid and neither am I.

so then why did you say it?

• Please -- you're not that stupid and neither am I.

I said it because some people seem to think that having an atheist leader will be inherently better.

Please -- you're not that stupid and neither am I.

I said it because some people seem to think that having an atheist leader will be inherently better.

Yeah, I don't think it'd be inherently better. Would be an interesting contrast.

And personally, in the current state, I think a Muslim candidate would fare worse than an atheist.

No one gets paranoid about "radical atheism."

Not yet at least.

has there ever been an aethist audience?

• Yeah, it'd at least be an interesting contrast to Bush, although I think he really suckered the fundies policy-wise.

one thing i must admit in any of the threads i read in this forum. its in the vein of massive scepticism... because no matter what, i know that what i read on this site is nowhere near representative of the general population...this site has a demographic, and its evident in numerous album covers that we all like and love. i mean i'l read commentary on this site and think "wow, things are changing, there's hope" and then i'l read mainstream media the next day and will remember "oh ya, thats how most people feel" and be disappointed once again. not everyone thinks along the same wavelengths. and while you hate on the 4 or 5 people here that disagree with the general consensus of this site, that feeling is quite alive in many minds and that's a force you should respect, because it exists. i'm not saying be pessimistic, but be realistic. again, id rather subscribe to aethist robots...

That doesn't prove that McCain's camp started it. All it proves is that some low-level flunky tried to distribute a new video.

You are right. The vids existed long before McCain's campaign started distributing them and sending them to the press and supportors. I didn't mean to suggest that they invented started... started what I'm not sure, people watching and talking about the videos? They were a big part. It's all a feedback loop. The vids were their, Obama was there, youtube was there, but when a campaign sends the press, and millions (does he have millions?) of supportors the vids and accusations, well their hands aint exactly clean.