lee fields - meet me tonite

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
man this shit is hard. is this a reissue? whatever, its good.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yea - it's good.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    hello sunshine!

Greetings Hot Stuff!

how's the great northeast treating you? its san francisco in september weather down here. im loving it.

well, it snowed for what seemed like three weeks straight and now it's raining and melting all that away. all the garbage left behind is grossing me out.

my mom was in SF a couple of weeks ago and hung out with my 19 yr old cousin mostly, so she got the lowdown on SF malls - lol. the weather agreed with her.

hey - are you making CDs of your Sunday gigs?

i do really like when u wake up in the morning and snow has covered everything. but yeah, that garbage soup that stews up around 2pm is really gross.

we should really be recording what we do. but neither myself nor spaceghost are professional enough to think of that. we're usually too busy having fun and drinking beers.

last time we played some dude told spaceghost his music sucked and it was priceless seeing the confused look on spaceghost's face. like "wait a second, are you hearing what im hearing?" it was like the dude was speaking chinese to him or something.

lol - I had the pleasure of being yelled at by the tallest, drunkest and loudest dude in the room a few weeks ago who was tired of hearing "oldies". While a room of people danced behind him, he kept saying, "you can't play what you like, you have to play what the people want". That was a serious does.not.compute moment for me, too.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    this weekend I have to DJ at a Lucero show..these local Wilco-esque alterno-country dudes..nice guys but their fans are mainly frat dudes, and usually the shows are more than a few hundred strong..I honestly cannot wait to unleash the Japanese and Hungarian raers on these guys...dudes named "Steve" in baseball caps are gonna be requesting all kindsa shit and Ill be able say "nah, I dont wanna play that" and then drop the Jun Mayazumi loud and proud...I love playing to captive audiences...

Playing with bands - love it for the new audience aspect (edit: and oh yea - the fact there's a sound guy whose main job is to give you nice sound), hate it cause you know more times than not, your biggest fans are the band and/or promoter and not the room full of people who came to hear something 1)live and 2)most times, not remotely in the same music group as your records.

I played a show recently with three bands - two of which I had played with before and that first time was an absolute dream - girls dancing on tables and shit. This time, the third band was the wild card and their audience HATED my records. Talked on top of the soul and really really hated the rap. The folks in the bands were right into it and were back and forth all night asking what things were, but I wasn't so lucky with the audience. Thanks guys, but let's not ever do it again, OK?