Culture Strut - Modernism

thewaxbanditthewaxbandit 112 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
helloi've been lurking around here since days pre-Le Touptnever really feel i got too much to contribute seeing as most of you guys are pretty heavy weightanyway, i feel that i always get something from reading the discussions over the years - about all sorts of stuff sooooo.....i'm studying as a mature student and i need some help with regards to Modernism.Is there any book/text which gives a good general overview of Art/Design/Music and Literature and modernism or is it not that simple - also any links would be awesome many thanksb

Comments

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    hello

i've been lurking around here since days pre-Le Toupt

never really feel i got too much to contribute seeing as most of you guys are pretty
    heavy weight

anyway, i feel that i always get something from reading the discussions over the years - about all sorts of stuff sooooo.....

i'm studying as a mature student and i need some help with regards to Modernism.

Is there any book/text which gives a good general overview of Art/Design/Music and Literature and modernism or is it not that simple - also any links would be awesome

many thanks

b

The approaches to modernism are many. Here's a good (very academic) place to start:

Last year here in DC, the Corcoran Gallery of Art hosted a massive exhibition entitled Modernism: Designing a New World (1914-1939) that covered in amazing detail the rise of the modernist movement in the early 20th century. I believe it originated in Europe. Not sure if it is still touring, but if it is and you have the means, try to find it and attend.

The catalog was expansive and thorough and worth purchasing, especially since you can still score the hardback edition from Amazon.

I also strongly suggest the documentary Helvetica, which you can get from Netflix.

• thanks - the book looks perfect

im in the UK but i'll see if i can find out anything about the exhibition

the Helvetica film makes me laugh when Spiekermann says "some people like to go to bars and look at peoples bottoms......i like to look at type"

b

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    im in the UK but i'll see if i can find out anything about the exhibition

It was at the Victoria & Albert Museum two years ago.

• awesome thats just what i needed!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I seem to remember having to cover modernism in literature in my first year at uni and had some useful set texts on the subject. I'll have a root around in the boxes at home and see if i can find any of the books we covered.