Cassette Deck Scratching

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    This is actually pretty cool. Has it been done before?

The juggling is what caught me.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    that's like a combo of the coolest and dumbest thing ever. I definitely give the guy props because he does a really good job at it and I got a kick out of him switching out the tapes like that. At the same time it's sort of pointless. it's like making something harder on yourself when there doesn't seem to be an advantage to the disadvantage. He made it sound exactly like vinyl, so you kind of have to ask "why not just use vinyl?" If the tape did something unique I would see the point, but he seemed to be going for a same as vinyl feel.

It's cool though. I enjoyed watching it. I still don't really know how he does all of that, but watching him swap the tapes out and pressing the stop or play button over and over to manipulate it was pretty cool.
    I don't meant to downplay it at all. He's pretty amazing. I'm just not fully understanding how or why it came to be. I guess for no other reason than "because it's cool." I'm not mad at that.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    As a 15 year old in 1989 I saw a guy from Latvia or somewhere else around Russia on German TV Show called Tanzhouse.
    He called himself DJ Eastbam. He did that because of DJ Westbam which was very huge at that time.

This DJ Eastbam had no turntables beacuse they where to expensive in his country. So what he did was mixing with two reel 2 reel tapemachines which where pretty common in his country.

What he did was some simple mixing and blending. No complex cutting or anything else.

Inspired by him I took two darts and started to scratch the cassette in my tapeplayer.

The results where kinda nice but I never develpoed anything out of it because it was to complex and you needed two hands to scratch one cassette.

What I'm asking myself is what is happening to the tape motor when he cuts. It is standing still, trying to work against his hand moves. Why isnt it breaking down ???

Incredible idea and killer technics !!!!!!!!!!

Peace
    Hawkeye

What R&B song is playing at 1:12? It sounds really familiar but I cannot place it.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    What a coincidence, for the first time in years, I was watching some DMC turntablism comps on Youtube. After like 10 minutes of hearing dudes scratch, you get sick of it, but yet you keep watching.

On a different note, I was listening to Qbert's Wave Twisters the other day. It's aged pretty well, considering I was never really into turntablism.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Ah yes, my boy DJ Ruthless Ramsey.....he's been doing this ever since I've known him (about 8 or 9 years). He's also dope on the turntables, but the cassette decks are his calling card of sorts. He usually enters the Guitar Center / Skribble Jam battles out here....I think he got DQ'd from Guitar Center one year for doing the tape decks. He asked them first and was like "screw it, I'ma do it anyhow".

Looks like he got new tape decks too....on his old ones he used the pause button as his fader and I don't think he used a mixer at all. It's been a minute since I've seen him though.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    What R&B song is playing at 1:12? It sounds really familiar but I cannot place it.
    don't know but that drum kit sounds like the Neptunes for sure...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    The song at 3:33 is hott.

don't know but that drum kit sounds like the Neptunes for sure...
    It's the bassline that sounds modern to me, but the vocals say 1993 SWV. Though, it could have been a remix on something like the Terri & Monica album.

In any case, I need to know what it is.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

cool concept, chill with the wacky body tricks though

Not that anyone cares but I'm still trying to figure out that song.

It's "Just the Way" by Out of Eden (a xian group). However, its obviously a remix as here is the origina:

http://out-of-eden-just-the-way-mp3-download.kohit.net/_/308280

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I wanna know what's playing at about 4:45...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

cool concept, chill with the wacky body tricks though

Yeah - it's not that impressive since all he's doing is moving the fader. It's not like he's cassette scratching from under his legs.

One DJ battle move I've always found silly: when they throw up their hand, look at the audience and wait for the beat to drop...as if it were an act of magic. It's really bad too when they're just slightly off their cue.