FIVE records you're feelin'

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I'm at home on Friday night, and it's already 1AM. Obviously, I'm not going out tonight. I'm 26, but already feel like an old man. Anyway, here are some records that I've enjoyed over the course of the last couple weeks. Even took some pictures while having a glass of wine...Just bought this today. Everything is so right about this album....Exquisite arrangement, terrific recording, and effortless group harmony. You know a record's good when you you feel an album is too short. Too bad the second side is crackly as hell.I've come to fully appreciate this LP only recently. Picked it up because The3rdStream had it has his avatar for a while. Not too familiar with this genre, but what other bossa-jazz albums are better than this?A five dollar purchase that proved to be very good. There's something really refreshing about Szabo's rather linear guitar playing. Kind of a middle-Eastern/Indian feel to the melodies. Even though the solo guitar is the focus, the other musicians really enhance the group sound. Great stuff.This is the more readily available 1975 pressing on Buddha. I believe the first pressing is on Cobblestone. Includes a who's who of spiritual jazz musicians like Herbie Hancock, Gary Bartz, Carlos Garnett, Cecil McBee, Buster Williams, and Dee Dee Bridgewater. Very accessible spiritual/free jazz.Never really paid attention to this one until recently. Perhaps it's the fact that it was recorded in 1980. The record has more of a modern soul feel than much of Smith's late 70's fusion work. The standout cut for me is "Bridge through time". Reminds me very much of Hi-Tension's "Girl I Betcha" which Mylatency hipped me to. I might charaterize it as smooth jazz. "Love is the answer" is another mellow smooth jazz tune. Peaceful shit.

Comments

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    mmhh... the last few I was listenin' :

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I gotta cop this

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    From the last couple of weeks (or so):

Dirtbombs - We Have You Surrounded (CD)[/b]

The new album. Mick Collins always said that the Dirtbombs weren't strictly garage, and here he's trying out his stoner-rock moves (with a weird prog-rock interlude towards the end). Great album.

Gene Vincent Rocks! And The Blue Caps Roll(LP)[/b]

In the fifties, rock albums were notoriously inconsistent - you know, the old "hit-plus-filler" deal. But this album has way too many good songs for the room. Includes a version of "By The Light Of The Silvery Moon" that tops both the Olympics and Little Richard.

Sons Of Hercules - Get Lost(LP)[/b]

Blistering Texas garage from the nineties (I think they're still together).

Al Wilson - "Born On The Bayou" (45) [/b]

Wilson (of "The Snake"/"Show & Tell" fame) has always been kind of hit or miss for me, but he did record some fine tunes here and there. He puts a hurting on this Creedence tune (and he also did a fine version of "Lodi" as well).

Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Gospel Train (LP) [/b]

Gospel great who KILLED IT on the guitar...

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

I'm listening to a friends copy of this. Sooo damn good! Anybody have one they want to sell me?[/b]

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Dj NevilleC,

What's up with the Titanic sinking cover?

Pickwick,

I'm gonna have to check out that Dirtbombs.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yo yuichi, those records look like what I left outside
    For the crackheads to come and sell at $2 for 5
    You say you have records but all I think that you got
    Is a sock for your sperms and a rag for your snot
    You best step to the dealers out in West LA
    And tell them you mad doggie 'cause you just got played
    Try and get some money back maybe go buy some chronic
    Instead of 80s Lonnie Smith and VG- Delfonics.

Yo yuichi, those records look like what I left outside
    For the crackheads to come and sell at $2 for 5
    You say you have records but all I think that you got
    Is a sock for your sperms and a rag for your snot
    You best step to the dealers out in West LA
    And tell them you mad doggie 'cause you just got played
    Try and get some money back maybe go buy some chronic
    Instead of 80s Lonnie Smith and VG- Delfonics.

Hey John, look man. You're right about the first part.
    Most of these were bought from my man Pap who was vacationing
    in Los Angeles. Don't worry, I'm over the stage of flossing
    my rares (although I do have crazy stuff like that now out-of-print
    Placebo reish on Counterpoint).

Besides I have a huge dick. I don't have to compensate
    by buying rare black man power moves or ethnic psych drone
    with buttcrust related. But that's just me.

For the record, I don't smoke weed. Wish I did. I get bad
    trips.

• I will never own:

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Dj NevilleC,

Its the Titanic and the Concorde sinking and if you look closely you see a bunch of baked beans escaping on crackers! The record is by Pete Brown & Piblokto and is called "Thousands of a Raft." Great 1970-71 prog/hard rock on Harvest. Pete Brown wrote a bunch of songs for Cream and Jack Bruce.

Dj NevilleC,

Its the Titanic and the Concorde sinking and if you look closely you see a bunch of baked beans escaping on crackers! The record is by Pete Brown & Piblokto and is called "Thousands of a Raft." Great 1970-71 prog/hard rock on Harvest. Pete Brown wrote a bunch of songs for Cream and Jack Bruce.

I didn't notice the baked beans escaping on crackers! Genius. This Dirtbombs record is sounding pretty damn good!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

what's this?

nevermind....

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Not quite afternoon rock...I am going to call it "courdoroy core"....Dollar binner Ive been sleepin on...
    Fuggin great LP, maybe the last great one for them (IMO) has the OG version of the 70s FM radio smash "Sentimental Lady" and this OG version trumps the hit version for sure...also has some crazy ass fuzz wah moments...just a really nice LP

(no pic)Lovin' Spoonful "Darling be Home Soon" (kama Sutra) 45
    I was hipped to this song by the cover by Slade...Never have been a John Sebastian fan...he is, fo rthe most part, very trite IMO and boring...but he hit a homer with this one..fantastic song, great arrangement...I love it when the percussion comes in towards the middle of the tune and the horn charts at the end make this one epic...

left this behind at the monthly flea market here in town...I had purchased it, but as I was leaving I noticed a mint copy of the Rationals LP and they were both the same price($6) and I was outta cash and the ATM at the flea has a $4 service charge, so I handed over the 45 and took the Rationals LP instead. Glad to see it was still there when I stopped by yesterday...killer R&B

(Les Robespierres-Repentista Repetista)
    thanks to a strutter hook up (thanks docfish) I was able to score this LP with a very raw, awesome cover of a favorite Jacques Dutronc tune(I was after the 45, but had to settle for the LP) Ive been told by other German strutters that this is one of their weaker LPs, but there are quite a few great tunes and I like it..will be copping their 1st LP since Ive been told it kills this one...

awesome old-school storytelling song with cool, dark backing and some head noddin drums...great Frickin' song...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

The new album. Mick Collins always said that the Dirtbombs weren't strictly garage, and here he's trying out his stoner-rock moves (with a weird prog-rock interlude towards the end). Great album.

these guys shopped at my store before their show a little over a week ago. missed the show but i wanted to check it out.

Hey, Hookup...what did you think of the Rationals LP? To me, that is like one of the definitive late-period Detroit Sound records; 1969 heavy rock with just enough of a Nuggets-type vibe. However, most garage purists can't stand this album for some reason (which is bullshit, IMO).

Also: that Cecil Barfield 45 on the Fat Possum label that you guys recommended wasn't bad at all...yeah, he's unorthodox, for sure, but not to the point where it's outsider music. At any rate, glad to have it and thanx for the tipoff.

these guys shopped at my store before their show a little over a week ago. missed the show but i wanted to check it out.

What did Mick Collins buy?

• was introduced to this one last week by my little brother (jealously set in soon after) and was pretty blown away. Thankfully I got a digital rip that's been getting repeated plays. "Christians By Our Love" is FREAKIN BRILLIANT

much love for academy records and this comp is very on point.

great collection of samba hits from 73. not sure who the artist is, but there's some really beautiful tunes on here.

never heard of this cat before, but the picture of him in platforms and a metallic silver bellbottom jumpsuit on the back cover clued me in that this would not be a straight ahead jazz effort. not monumental by any means, but a solid listen with enough bounce that it's been staying on my turntable for a lil while.

bonus break:
    Ana D - Satelite 99
    real mellow/trippy electronic with vocals from this spanish songstress. 2cds = nice long chillout session.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Hey, Hookup...what did you think of the Rationals LP? To me, that is like one of the definitive late-period Detroit Sound records; 1969 heavy rock with just enough of a Nuggets-type vibe. However, most garage purists can't stand this album for some reason (which is bullshit, IMO).

Also: that Cecil Barfield 45 on the Fat Possum label that you guys recommended wasn't bad at all...yeah, he's unorthodox, for sure, but not to the point where it's outsider music. At any rate, glad to have it and thanx for the tipoff.

I like the Rationals LP a bunch...was unaware that the garage folk dont like it..perhaps the blue-eyed soul vibe doesnt rub them the right way perhaps? Anway they are stupid because it is a top shelf LP, and there arent many garage bands that made good LPs...will always be a 45 ruled genre...but yeah, this LP shouild be discussed in the same breath as MC5, Seger and the like...

Glad you like the Cecil Barfield...one of my favorites of the series...

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

I have the reissue though

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    That Rationals album is amazing, cheap, and not easy to come by.

"Dreams" is not a "solo guitar record". Did you even listen to it?

• Joe Bataan - Magic Rose 7" (Fania)
    JD & The Evil's Dynamite Band - Return of the Evil D's 7" (Psycho)
    Towanda Barnes - You don??t mean it 7" (A&M)
    Cloud One - Flying high 12" (Heavently Star)
    Supremes - Sunny Boy 7" (Motown)

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Turf Talk - West Coast Vaccine
    Sugar Billy - Super Duper Love 45
    The Techniques - My Girl 45
    Slim Smith - Stay 45
    Derrick Harriot - Soul Sister 45

These can all be filed under Last Song You Listened To on Repeat