new ish you buy vs. old ish

waximilienwaximilien 352 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
how many people are buying new material which is anything like the raers you're getting? if so, what is it?i listen to mostly psych, prog and kraut-rock these days - not from a collecting POV from a "i done hip-hop'd myself the fuck out since i was 10yrs old" POV. as a consequence, i'm more interested in new shit from cherrystones or broadcast or sixtoo or blank:blue or koushik etc. than i am in anything else. i'm sure there's masses of music coming out that i'm sleeping on though. who out there is doing the old shit right?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Dungen is pretty rad.

• Good to see you mentioning Koushik. I think his full length will be out later this year. It's really good.

Caribou is another to check out.

• word, dungen is pretty impressive shit

• Good to see you mentioning Koushik. I think his full length will be out later this year. It's really good.

Caribou is another to check out.

word koushik is dope, caribou too though i got caught sleeping on him so i'm catching up. still need to fill out the older manitoba stuff. all of what i hear so far i like though.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    ...caribou too though i got caught sleeping on him so i'm catching up. still need to fill out the older manitoba stuff. all of what i hear so far i like though.

Caribou put on a great live show, too. Catch them when you can. I think "Up in Flames" has Koushik on a couple-few tracks as well.

As for other new releases, are people digging Voice of the Seven Woods? I liked the S/T on Finders Keepers from last year.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Black Keys and Flaming Lips are two more I always check out.

Also, Broken Social Scene is a group that a friend got me in to...

• voice of the seven woods is nice shit. there's a lot of good music associated with votel/twisted nerve/b-music crew in general. i imagine i'm missing out on a load

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    voice of the seven woods is nice shit. there's a lot of good music associated with votel/twisted nerve/b-music crew in general.

Drag City put out some damn good stuff also.

I ride hard for Epsers.
    I recently got the (espers related) Fern Knight Lp, which is beautiful.

If you like Broken Social Scene, you should check out 'Reverie Sound Revue', who ft. the former BSS front woman Lisa Lobsinger. They have a similar Canadian sound, with a little Stereolab/Motorik added.