If Comics Were Records...

funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Imagine finding this... This is long but worth checking out.Short story, in the 70's this comics dealer discovered a house stacked to the ceiling with raer...

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    By 1972, I had over 8,000 back issues in my inventory, and rented a booth at my first national comics convention (Multi-con '72 in Oklahoma City). I grossed $1,800 during that convention, which was a huge sum in those days! I was only 17 years old at the time, but I knew from that moment onward that I wanted to be a comics dealer for the rest of my life.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    oh yeah. the Mile High Collection is THE greatest find in comics ever, and probably the greatest find in collectibles ever. The record equivilant would be finding a basement with every blues and jazz 78, and every blues, jazz and rock 45 and LP from 1920 - 1960, all at once, and all in vg++ to Mint condition. All. Of. Them.

Note that the sellers were so impatient to get rid of the "junk" that before the guy got there and made his offer they had already THROWN OUT an entire rooms worth of comics, accounting for the near total lack of what would probably been every single "funny animal" type comic as well. if they had happened to trash the superhero room first, thousands of what are today the best copies (and more than a few "only" copies) in existance of every key comic would never have been found.

these were newstand fresh copies of the 1st batman, 1 superman, etc. everything. theres really no comparision i know of in any other collectible field. read the story, its fascinating- just the stuff about how he came up with the cash and what he had to give away to work the deal, and how close it all came to being lost more than once...

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    god damn that's a dope story

• facemelt

• Aside from the WTF-ness of the initial find, I love the story of all the wheeling and dealing he had to do to get the dough to buy the collection.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    If Comics Were Records...I would buy them

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    absolutely incredible.

thanks for posting that.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    The record equivilant would be finding a basement with every blues and jazz 78, and every blues, jazz and rock 45 and LP from 1920 - 1960, all at once, and all in vg++ to Mint condition. All. Of. Them.

not much i like in that time period, so i would def sell it all.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

Oh man, the subsequent store that collectro Chuck opened, Mile High Comics, was awe-inspiring when I was 12/13/14. Their catalogs chock full of mint Golden Age comics was face-melting. I was always fascinated by the Golden Age Daredevil:

because he shared his namesake with that other Daredevil:

But being that the GA DD issues were priced in the hundreds of dollars, I had to be happy with Frank Miller's Daredevil and the greatest comic story arc ever written.