school me on these raers (are they raer/good?

karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I recently got a peek at a collectros stash, that hes not ready to let go of yet. there were some cool looking titles, but i couldnt listen to them, had to just commit them to memory. i know some of these are nice, and i think i can convince him to let go of a few of them. If you were in my shoes, which ones would you "push" for?(b/w any comments you might have about any of these - musically, raer-ness etc)Banchee - s/t on atlanticHalos - s/t(?) on ???mashmakan - s/t(?) on epicnanette - lady marmalade on ???(generic) - psychedelic guitars on customhigh treason on Golden (?)soul survivors - take another lookpurple image - music to eat on ?? (im pretty sure this will be high on my "push" list)king progress - unsure of title or labelorphanz - unsure of title or labeldaughters of albion - s/t(?) on ?? (looks incredible..)toe fat - two on rare earth (i know the basic deal on this one, just curious about your quality/musical comments)Bu Pleasant - Ms. Bu on Muse (i know this has a cool sample or two, but unsure of value)Salvation s/t on abc (ive heard its kinda doo-doo?)if theres info thats secret squirrel here, just PM me instead.thanks!

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    (generic) - psychedelic guitars on custom

Psychedellic (sic) Guitars aren't psych at all, but if you're into Ventures-ish guitar instrumentals, this is a good album to get. Custom also released a followup, More Psychedellic Guitars (also issued as Dance Party Time by the Electric Firebirds on Crown).

soul survivors - take another look

East Coast white soul band heavily influenced by the Rascals. "Expressway To Your Heart" was their biggest hit, but that was on another album. All three of their LP's are good. Duane Allman plays guitar on this album (although he wasn't a member of the band).

purple image - music to eat on ?? (im pretty sure this will be high on my "push" list)

Sure you're not confusing this with Music To Eat by the Hampton Grease Band (a two-record set on Columbia)?Purple Image's LP (on Map City) was self-titled, unless they have another album that I don't know about.

Salvation s/t on abc (ive heard its kinda doo-doo?)

The single I have is pretty good. This was one of the early psych bands from San Francisco.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    damn you have a good memory!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Salvation s/t on abc (ive heard its kinda doo-doo?)

The single I have is pretty good. This was one of the early psych bands from San Francisco.

Yeah, I have a single that came out between their
    2 ABC albums that is really good (if maybe a little
    slickly produced) psych.

• rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
    That Mashmakhan is a good lp, but not so rare ($15-25 on ebay?). Canadian jazzy kinda rock from the late 1960's. I really dig it.

• daughters of albion is on fontana. produced by leon russell i believe. has a great overall sound, and isn't too expensive either...

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

i was thinking the same thing.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    purple image - music to eat on ?? (im pretty sure this will be high on my "push" list)

Sure you're not confusing this with Music To Eat by the Hampton Grease Band (a two-record set on Columbia)?Purple Image's LP (on Map City) was self-titled, unless they have another album that I don't know about.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of the Purple Image LP. I just don't like it. The Grease Band is out to lunch and apes Zappa. For such a poor-selling record, it certainly pops up (cheaply) well enough. I haven't heard that one in a while, but for an album so out there, I distinctly remember leaving with a "meh."

There is actually an LP by "The Grease Band" that I've seen around. I'm guessing it's related, unless it's much later.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    ah! yeah, music to eat is the hampton grease band. purple image was s/t. (so much for that amazing memory haha)

thanks so far. its cool getting a cross section of opinions on this here music stuff.

• didn't care for that purple image either, found a copy last year but sold it on ebay for a little over a $100, definatly not worth the price

Myself, I love that Purple Image LP, but then again I'm a sucker for psychedelic funk anyway.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of the Purple Image LP. I just don't like it. The Grease Band is out to lunch and apes Zappa. For such a poor-selling record, it certainly pops up (cheaply) well enough. I haven't heard that one in a while, but for an album so out there, I distinctly remember leaving with a "meh."

There is actually an LP by "The Grease Band" that I've seen around. I'm guessing it's related, unless it's much later.

The Grease Band was Joe Cocker's backup group and had nothing to do with the Hampton Grease Band.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I thought it was Hampton Hawes Grease Band. Or is Col. Hampton Hawes someone else.

I have a friend who is a big fan. I think, like him, they are from the south. He says that back in the day they were the opening act for Three Dog Night. They got sick of hearing 3DN play the same set every night. So one night they went out and played 3DN's set.

I thought it was Hampton Hawes Grease Band. Or is Col. Hampton Hawes someone else.

I have a friend who is a big fan. I think, like him, they are from the south. He says that back in the day they were the opening act for Three Dog Night. They got sick of hearing 3DN play the same set every night. So one night they went out and played 3DN's set.

I've heard that story too. What I really want to know is how did a band as blatantly uncommercial as the HGB get a gig w/3DN in the first place.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    mashmakan is a cool listen, black sheep sample, some cool beats.
    salvation has one song on it I really like. Nice mellow psych pop, kind of hippie-ish.

I wouldn't pay a lot for either. I think both should be around $15, maybe less, maybe more.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Frankly, I'm not a fan of the Purple Image LP. I just don't like it.

I was excited to find a copy of that last summer for 30 kr. (~$6), but was really dissapointed when i listened to it. It was just???boring.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Frankly, I'm not a fan of the Purple Image LP. I just don't like it.

I was excited to find a copy of that last summer for 30 kr. (~$6), but was really dissapointed when i listened to it. It was just???boring.

I thought I was the only one, considering how much shine this gets. I'd snag it for $6, too - to sell it for many times that.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Myself, I love that Purple Image LP, but then again I'm a sucker for psychedelic funk anyway.

Same here, it's not the most consistent of albums end to end but tracks like Living In The Ghetto definitely make it worth checking out.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts

Damn, I am so weak when it comes to this...
    That's why I find collecting seven inches so difficult: No covers to memorize, just label designs and names/titles.
    I have a friend who is amazing. Give him any stash of vinyl and he just memorizes the whole lot (artists, titles, producers, writers, musicians, labels, sometimes even catalog numbers) in no time. The amazing thing: He does not do it photographically: Meaning you can show him an album cover from his collection and he might not recognize it, but as soon as you trigger his memory for names, it all comes out again.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    purple imgage is cool. i like it. not only for one track. it's a pretty outstanding record and I like it for what it is. No deep funk. Some folk touches and pop. Unique stuff. The siniging is kinda sometimes though.

What You Do To Me
    Lady
    We Got To Pull Together

superb tracks IMO

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Damn, I am so weak when it comes to this...
    That's why I find collecting seven inches so difficult: No covers to memorize, just label designs and names/titles.
    I have a friend who is amazing. Give him any stash of vinyl and he just memorizes the whole lot (artists, titles, producers, writers, musicians, labels, sometimes even catalog numbers) in no time. The amazing thing: He does not do it photographically: Meaning you can show him an album cover from his collection and he might not recognize it, but as soon as you trigger his memory for names, it all comes out again.

BIG dude behavior

I'm not having a hard time to remember names OR covers/labels. a friend of mine can only remember pictures and covers. which is really strange to me.

i know some people who can remember anything. they were in college with me. professor said something for the first time and they were ready to pass a test. they were not very smart. just able to remember ANYTHING.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

We Got To Pull Together

I'd forgotten about that track - beautiful song.