I'm in business with Castro (funky RAER related)

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I just sent Raul and his boys a wad of cash (in Canadian dollars no less--thank you weak US economy), and volume 2 of "Si, Para Usted" is now two, maybe three months from completion. I'm pretty excited. For the most part, volume 1 was all about giving the classics more exposure, but I've had the opportunity to get a little raerer and a little deeper with volume 2. Here's a preview: two cuts (taken from crappy vinyl instead of the masters you'll hear on the album). The first person to correctly name both the groups and the tracks gets a free copy of the comp.Apparently, volume 1 is getting reviewed in a May edition of Spanish People. Check it if you're waiting in a doctor's office or standing in a checkout line.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    RADICAL

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Apparently, volume 1 is getting reviewed in a May edition of Spanish People. Check it if you're waiting in a doctor's office or standing in a checkout line.
    This is really cool man, seriously.

• right on! still giving vol. 1 spins regularly. heard it again recently on WKCR too.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Covers of 'Vehicle' are where it's at... looking forward to it!

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Is volume one still available, and what's the best way to get volume two when it comes out?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Is volume one still available, and what's the best way to get volume two when it comes out?

yes, please tell.....

the Vehicle track is extreme heat

• First track is "Suspirando por el chikichaka" by Juan Pablo Torres, isn??t it?

Javi

• choleracholera 101 Posts
    Dan, those sound crazy dope. Really looking forward to Volume 2.

I think it's amazing that you have this 'in' with the government in Cuba. So much undiscovered/forgotten great music being made available from your hard work. Keep it up!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I think it's amazing that you have this 'in' with the government in Cuba.

Danno on his most recent digging journey:

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Ill! Don't forget to front a strutta a copy when its done.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Vol. 1 should be available on Dustygroove, labcabin, amazon, itunes, and in your local independent. If not, you can buy it directly from me on my site, www.waxingdeep.org.

First track is "Suspirando por el chikichaka" by Juan Pablo Torres, isn??t it?

Nice! Except this particular release is attributed to Los Caneyes, about which little is known. JPT is definitely the author of the track, and all the versions, including the one on the Uruguayan Chikichaka LP, are the same. I understand that there's no Caneyes LP--just singles--and that the Chikichaka tracks don't appear on any JPT LP. My guess is Los Caneyes are Los Chikichakas and somehow got an LP released in Uruguay.

I think it's amazing that you have this 'in' with the government in Cuba. So much undiscovered/forgotten great music being made available from your hard work. Keep it up!

My only "in" was incredible patience, a little resourcefulness, and the willingness to give them the money they want, which is really all they care about. I used to hear a story years ago in Toronto something along the lines of the Cuban Ambassador's hot daughter convincing her father to give [fill in the blank with any of a dozen Toronto collectros] access to the EGREM archives, but there was nothing like that for me, just a lot of expensive phone calls, some time in Havana, and some bank transfers.

Ill! Don't forget to front a strutta a copy when its done

Soulstrut was involved in every step of producing vol. 1 and I gave it love in the acknowledgements. It goes without saying that copies will be headed your way.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    volume 1 stays in rotation at mi casa.