Favorite Funk/Black Rock groups from Ohio...

SurrealistSurrealist 218 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
My favorite Ohio groups so far are Iron Knowledge ("Showstopper") and Revelation Funk ("Running")...Which groups are your favorites?

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Stone Coal White obviously. Also, Round Trip Tickets, Earth's Delight, Creations Unlimited, Ricky Hodges, Sir Stanley, the Moroccos, Purple Image, the Solicitors, the Naturall Band, the Suspicious Can Openers, the CQCs

Sure there are a ton others I'm forgetting

oh yeah, The Inner Circles!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Suspicious Can Openers

• Ohio Players

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Suspicious Can Openers

Can we get an mp3?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Stone Coal White obviously.

I would give my left nut for that 45 on Shur n Tell...I'm convinced that some day I will find one at Salvation Army for a quarter.

anyway add this to the list:

• Stone Coal White obviously. Also, Round Trip Tickets, Earth's Delight, Creations Unlimited, Ricky Hodges, Sir Stanley, the Moroccos, Purple Image, the Solicitors, the Naturall Band, the Suspicious Can Openers, the CQCs

Sure there are a ton others I'm forgetting
    Stone Coal White...talk about holy grail! haha...Creations Unlimited, dope as I don't know what...that was on the Soul Kitchen label, right? I also liked the Chantells on that same label...I never knew Purple Image was from Ohio, and is Sir Stanley the one who did that "Sputnik" record? You have a great list...I need to check all of it out!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    "Sputnik" is Sidney Owens.

• sorry, I got carried away and too excited, haha...I like that Sidney Owens record a lot though...blue and yellow label with an image of Sputnik, as I recall...

• Nothing really rivals Kenyatta / Ndugu.

• Nothing really rivals Kenyatta / Ndugu.
    what is the name of the artist/group for this record? Can you describe the sound? Just judging from the titles I know it has to be great, haha...

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    Pure Essence, Wallace Brothers, The Solicitors, 24 Karat Black, Act III, Dayton Sidewinders, TNT Powerhouse, Hot Chocolate, Bo & the Metros, S.O.U.L., Over Night Low, Young Mods, Young Underground, Stone Creations, 26 Inch Band, House Guests, OFS Unlimited, Dean Francis & the Soul Rockers, Dominations Band, Soul Partners, Silky Vincent Group, Infinity, Fabulous Originals, The Dapps, The Basement, Pleasure Web, Jessie & the Mel-O-Tones, Harvey & the Phenomenals, Elegant Undergrounds, JC Davis Band, Thrust, Alias Funk & Soul, War Machine Band, Purple Shaft, Hamilton Movement, Big Jay Bush & the Houserockers, Soul Vibrations, Heaven Hell & Us, Double O Demingos, Soul Reflections, Funk-Tion, Zapp, 9th Street Exit, Hustlers 1970, Movin' Soothin' Stone Funk Band, Odds Against Tomorrow, Total Experience, The Ditalians, Jus Us, Soul Toronadoes, Rainbow, Chicago Gangsters, Kinsman Dazz, Leroy & the Drivers, The Organics, Ramp, Amani Progression, Cold Heat, Brother Rabbit........

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    damn Ohio was killing it... I didn't realize all of the groups were from the Buckeye State

• There was this one cat named Bootsy Collins

He had a group called BOOTSY'S RUBBER BAND

I don't know if anyone on hear has heard of them before though

There was this one cat named Bootsy Collins

He had a group called BOOTSY'S RUBBER BAND

I don't know if anyone on hear has heard of them before though

Hmmm. Wow. That's funny, cause Bootsy Collins was actually in a group called the House Guests first, and they were mentioned earlier in the thread.

Hoosierdaddy now? LOL OMG WTF DEAL.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    have time to post on the strut but cant make it to the rec show andrew? it was boring. see you next time homie....

have time to post on the strut but cant make it to the rec show andrew? it was boring. see you next time homie....

Can call me homie, but can't get my name right?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    hahaha... aaron. my brain isnt working with 4 cups of coffee and no food being up since 330a and dealing with record dorks for 6hrs plus now im at the job til 530p...

however, you will forever be called andrew now!

haha. Yeah, wish I could have made it to the show. Have a final exam tomorrow that has commandeered my weekend. I'll definitely be at the next one.

love,
    Andrew

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

SUN

• Pure Essence, Wallace Brothers, The Solicitors, 24 Karat Black, Act III, Dayton Sidewinders, TNT Powerhouse, Hot Chocolate, Bo & the Metros, S.O.U.L., Over Night Low, Young Mods, Young Underground, Stone Creations, 26 Inch Band, House Guests, OFS Unlimited, Dean Francis & the Soul Rockers, Dominations Band, Soul Partners, Silky Vincent Group, Infinity, Fabulous Originals, The Dapps, The Basement, Pleasure Web, Jessie & the Mel-O-Tones, Harvey & the Phenomenals, Elegant Undergrounds, JC Davis Band, Thrust, Alias Funk & Soul, War Machine Band, Purple Shaft, Hamilton Movement, Big Jay Bush & the Houserockers, Soul Vibrations, Heaven Hell & Us, Double O Demingos, Soul Reflections, Funk-Tion, Zapp, 9th Street Exit, Hustlers 1970, Movin' Soothin' Stone Funk Band, Odds Against Tomorrow, Total Experience, The Ditalians, Jus Us, Soul Toronadoes, Rainbow, Chicago Gangsters, Kinsman Dazz, Leroy & the Drivers, The Organics, Ramp, Amani Progression, Cold Heat, Brother Rabbit........
    love 24-Carat Black, especially "Mother's Day" and the title song....Pleasure Web's "Music Man" has always been hot as well...Purple Shaft? Movin' Soothin Stone Funk Band? Man, what is that all about? I need that!! I thought the Dee Felice Trio were from Ohio...at least I think Felice is from there...I know he had or maybe still has a restaurant in Cincinnati....

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    S.O.U.L.

• S.O.U.L.

• I guessing that you've already seen this

• I guessing that you've already seen this

yeah, that and Texassoulrecordings.com, haha...Another Ohio group I was curious about is Rainbow...