Violent Femmes

2»

Comments

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

If you didn't hear it at 15, it won't mean anything to you now. Beyond nostalgia, the Violent Femmes should be irrelevant for anyone over the age of 16...or maybe John Zorn collectors for the "Hallowed Ground" LP.[/b]

SoulOnIce mentioned it, but I'll take a step further and say that "Hallowed Ground" is better than the debut. Plus, there's the added bonus of less people knowing it by heart, significantly cutting the sing-along factor.

Wait. This discussion is happening on Soulstrut?

The "Gimme the Car/Ugly" EP has got all of it beat.

• don't know... i couldn't figure out why one would ever listen to the violent femmes. is it a step in the world of being a music geek?

Raging hormone music.
    IMO, there were *very specific* pre-requisites for listening to the Violent Femmes:
    White, dorky, suburban, semi-punk social outsider with an undercurrent of seething frustration at not getting laid. That was the only way to really feel Gordon Gano's lyrics on that first album.
    If you didn't hear it at 15, it won't mean anything to you now. Beyond nostalgia, the Violent Femmes should be irrelevant for anyone over the age of 16.

Any Becky or flock of Beckys that turn "Add It Up" into a prom queen singalong deserve that previously-mentioned punch in the throat.

Rarely, if ever, has someone captured an album's essence so succinctly. Five stars!

And no, I'm not being sarcastic in the least.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    don't know... i couldn't figure out why one would ever listen to the violent femmes. is it a step in the world of being a music geek?

Raging hormone music.
    IMO, there were *very specific* pre-requisites for listening to the Violent Femmes:
    White, dorky, suburban, semi-punk social outsider with an undercurrent of seething frustration at not getting laid. That was the only way to really feel Gordon Gano's lyrics on that first album.
    If you didn't hear it at 15, it won't mean anything to you now. Beyond nostalgia, the Violent Femmes should be irrelevant for anyone over the age of 16.

Any Becky or flock of Beckys that turn "Add It Up" into a prom queen singalong deserve that previously-mentioned punch in the throat.

Rarely, if ever, has someone captured an album's essence so succinctly. Five stars!

And no, I'm not being sarcastic in the least.

Thanks, my friend. Take that, Pitchfork!