Wet or Dry

yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
So I was chilling in Memphis (big ups to Hook Up on hookin me up with jawns, grub and all around good times) and had the Wet ribs at Blues Cafe and the dry rub at Rendvous and I liked the wet better, but I'm a novice with the ribs (I usually don't dig on swine, but when in Rome....) Anyone care to express their preference????

Comments

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    and BBQ spaghetti is

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Most poeple know BBQ as WET, but there are some regions that only fox w/ the DRY steez.

I prefer WET. It will differ from region to region.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Most poeple know BBQ as WET

word - I was wondering if anyone rides only for the rub

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    what up! cool hanging yesterday...next time you roll through will hit up the BBQ shop...best dry rub ribs around and the best sauce in town(best wet ribs are cozy corner IMO, they supply the ribs for our Memphis Soul nights) ..."dancing pigs hot" bbq sauce is fire and so so good.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Depends on what you're BBQing. I'm a dry-rub rib man, but they provide their own moisture. God knows they're fatty enough. For pulled pork, though, I like it wet. Ayo. Slow cooker style.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Dry is best on things like prime rib that stay moist when cooking. Ribs dry out pretty quick so the sauce helps or you just end up with string meat and grizzle.

I've also found this with curry and I much preffer the wet. It's hard to choke down a thick layer of spices with out a lil' juice.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    So I was chilling in Memphis (big ups to Hook Up on hookin me up with jawns, grub and all around good times) and had the Wet ribs at Blues Cafe and the dry rub at Rendvous and I liked the wet better, but I'm a novice with the ribs (I usually don't dig on swine, but when in Rome....)

Anyone care to express their preference????

Hey man, I think we just missed each other! I was in Memphis myself, the last Saturday in February...the place we went was the Barbecue Store up the street from Shangri-La.

To answer your question...definitely dry. Strangely enough, about the only time I mess with bar-b-que sauce is on hot links, which is common in South Chicago 'cue stands, but not in Memphis (from what I've seen).

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    WARNING BEFORE YOU LISTEN TO THIS.
    This shit will get stuck in your head.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/7056475e66eed8/
    SO SIMPLE

Be careful!

But it ain't about barbecue, so who cares?

My "give-a-damn" is busted, right now.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Dry is best on things like prime rib that stay moist when cooking. Ribs dry out pretty quick so the sauce helps or you just end up with string meat and grizzle.

See, I do them over indirect, low heat, and find they stay moist.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

See, I do them over indirect, low heat, and find they stay moist.

Yea, that's a good method. I think a lot of people just grill the shit out of them in the back yard.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    damn, this thread made me realize I hadnt headed down the street to the BBQ shop in 2008! On my way as you read this...

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Wet or dry? Whatever's there in front of me! I'll ride for all BBQ.