Edgar Allan Poe....anyone into his work?

SurrealistSurrealist 218 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I'm kind of bored with music lately, and find myself wanting to revisit some great literature I've read...my favorite story by Poe was always "The Tell Tale Heart". Is anyone else influenced and or inspired by Poe's writings...I also liked his "The Cask of Amontillado"....

Comments

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    is cask the one where he gets his friend drunk and slowly puts up the bricks? so bad ass, i think that hbo show oz might have borrowed from that.

my favorite poe story was hop frog, because i have a thing for court jesters, and its a great tale of revenge. i actually have a collection of all his works, i have to get back into it, i remember his longest story started interesting, something about a ship or something?

also i think some say that poe inspired conan doyle sp? the dude who did sherlock holmes in terms of a detective element in stories. shit now i wanna check out some poe. the only thing i didnt like about some of his stuff is the diction is too advanced and had me reaching for a dictionary reallly often

• is cask the one where he gets his friend drunk and slowly puts up the bricks? so bad ass, i think that hbo show oz might have borrowed from that.

my favorite poe story was hop frog, because i have a thing for court jesters, and its a great tale of revenge. i actually have a collection of all his works, i have to get back into it, i remember his longest story started interesting, something about a ship or something?

also i think some say that poe inspired conan doyle sp? the dude who did sherlock holmes in terms of a detective element in stories. shit now i wanna check out some poe. the only thing i didnt like about some of his stuff is the diction is too advanced and had me reaching for a dictionary reallly often
    yes, right about cask...I never read Hop Frog, definitely need to check that one....I had an Edgar Allan Poe anthology when I was a kid, and don't know what happened to it, but I am going to go buy another one if I can't find it...that's how much I love his work...what I loved about his use of language is he wasn't emulating anyone but so many people have tried to appropriate his style...I wish more of his work was adapted into film...can't say I've ever seen any movies based on or inspired by Poe's world of words...

• i remember his longest story started interesting, something about a ship or something?

That's The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket.

I read it in a great American authors course. An anomaly in American writing -- part Melville, part Jules Verne, part Poe. It's great, especially towards the end where it gets racist.

Has anyone seen Julie Taymor's version of "Hop-Frog"? It's got the guy from "Carnivale" playing Hop-Frog. The rest of the cast are puppets or muppets -- I can't tell. It also weaves in some other passages from Poe's work, such as "The Bells" and other poems.

How can you not like Poe?

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    I'm kind of bored with music lately, and find myself wanting to revisit some great literature I've read...

but you see, you need not have to separate the two!

(for real though - great album, with verbatim Poe poetry for the lyrics.)

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

That's The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket.

I read it in a great American authors course. An anomaly in American writing -- part Melville, part Jules Verne, part Poe. It's great, especially towards the end where it gets racist.

Jules Verne (who was vwey influenced by Poe) actually wrote a sequal to Pym many years later called "An Antarctic Mystery" where the narator hitches a ride on a ship piloted by Pym's old captain who is obsessed with rescuing Pym. They end up, retracing Pym's adventures all the way to the South Pole and a surprise ending.