Malcolm Catto 10" Library Mad Drama Rare B-R-E-A-K

2»

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    i hate that this shit is happening already:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MRR-ADM-Untitled-10-...1QQcmdZViewItem

I think the majority of pro dealers on here would disagree with you, and would in fact do the same themselves.
    Anyways, BIN at 50 bucks for a limited 1000 run is not too outlandish...is it?

• i understand what you're saying but this kind of profiteering leaves a bad tastes imo.

i'm sure some people who have hunted down and loved every MHE release to date will have to miss out on this incredible record and to know that it's down to this is a bad look. i'd sooner the records went to people who would listen to and love them, not for them to become some passing fad flavour of the minute acquisition from some over-funded toy with an ebay sourced brainfreeze breaks collection. fuck that shit.

no, i'm not a record dealer. i'm a producer and, bottom line, music obsessive. i know i'm probably in the wrong place for this, in many regards, but all i could give a fuck about is the music, simple and plain

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    i understand what you're saying but this kind of profiteering leaves a bad tastes imo.

That aside, though, I imagine a lot of those were bought by lurkers. For everyone who actually posts on this board, there's ten people who just read it as a source of information and entertainment.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    i understand what you're saying but this kind of profiteering leaves a bad tastes imo.

i'm sure some people who have hunted down and loved every MHE release to date will have to miss out on this incredible record and to know that it's down to this is a bad look. i'd sooner the records went to people who would listen to and love them, not for them to become some passing fad flavour of the minute acquisition from some over-funded toy with an ebay sourced brainfreeze breaks collection. fuck that shit.

no, i'm not a record dealer. i'm a producer and, bottom line, music obsessive. i know i'm probably in the wrong place for this, in many regards, but all i could give a fuck about is the music, simple and plain

or is just

• fair play to that, i guess - some people are shy. i dunno. it's just this one dude buys 50 and sells em at $50 before the original print run is even gone (although timed so that people will be placing orders at many places and finding they are out of stock already)

it's parasitic man - there's no love for music involved there. no different to buying weed from gangsters - people interested solely in money and fuck all in what they're selling. and in the case of weed - some Frickin' scumbag bastids too.

no different to buying weed from gangsters

Hold up, it's legal for a start and buying weed isn't, not really a good comparison !

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    fair play to that, i guess - some people are shy. i dunno. it's just this one dude buys 50 and sells em at $50 before the original print run is even gone (although timed so that people will be placing orders at many places and finding they are out of stock already)

it's parasitic man - there's no love for music involved there. no different to buying weed from gangsters - people interested solely in money and fuck all in what they're selling. and in the case of weed - some Frickin' scumbag bastids too.

I understand where you are at with this, and I have had conversations/arguments with pro dealers here that left me walking away from the discussion shaking my head. Basically all buyers are fair game to a big core of dealers. There's almost no thought for the future. I'm sure you could easily share the bad thoughts you have for this seller equally with the record label for this 'profit maximisation' (b/w ripping u off) event.
    Most don't give a damn about their target money source.

• or is just

neither man, if i'm honest. from speaking to adam throughout the process of making the music and getting the records pressed up - through delays from labels and everything else - i just find it sad, is all.

i don't claim to be a record dealer and i'm sure i never will be one - caring more about the music than the money is probably why i'd rather make it than sell it. shit, if i was interested in making money i'd never have bought a single piece of music-making hardware in the first place...

as for the weed/records thing.

records = addictive habit
    weed = addictive habit

s'all i'm saying

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

Don't hate the player, hate the game. It is what it is and this release is also targeting that "limited edition" crowd by its very nature (10inch, red vinyl, no song titles, 1000 copies dadadada). You can still decide if you buy this from guys like this. I personally wouldn't. Especially when it says "30 available". haha. That said, I ordered doubles from dd last weekend

• word sticky, i appreciate it's something collectors come into contact with all the time. i've experienced it from mo'wax buying and selling in the 90s i guess, it just gives me an odd perspective on this one

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    word. I know what you mean. let's just celebrate the music, fo sho...

Don't hate the player, hate the game. It is what it is and this release is also targeting that "limited edition" crowd by its very nature (10inch, red vinyl, no song titles, 1000 copies dadadada).

I agree, I think the label is pushing the envelope a little by say that a 1000 pressing is limited.

• in fairness, as far as i understand it's not a label thing, it's a self-press thing and judging by how fast it's selling out everywhere, i don't think they've overstated things much

Label or self-press a 1000 isn't really limited in my view, it would have to be 500 or under to qualify as that.

This is still available in some UK/Euro stores.

• fair enough man, i appreciate what you're saying

• dude has already sold 20 at $50...

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I like what this guy says about it on another board.

makes me laugh a bit this one. I ordered a copy off Fat City having read this thread. I checked the sound files and it sounds good, but chances are I'll get it, listen to it once all the way through and then just keep playing track 3 and even then not like it that much. Every time I'll play I will tell myself and anyone else in the room that the artwork is fantastic and that there were under 1000 pressed. No one will be impressed, and I will continue to kid myself that it's the best thing I have bought in ages.

I will get in my car and the Best Of Queen CD that I bought my five year old son for Christmas will be playing, I'll dance more in my car to "Another One Bites the Dust" than I will in my living room to track 3.

In the meantime I will continue clicking here and tutting to myself when i read about someone stealing revues to hype records on ebay and someone else overhyping some other easy listening tune.

• wtf do you mean "another board"?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    wtf do you mean "another board"?

I meant forum to be exact; http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    wtf do you mean "another board"?

I meant forum to be exact; http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/

Whoa whoa whoa.... wait.

There are OTHER forums?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    dude has already sold 20 at $50...

wow. That's the American dream right there. It kind of sucks that he's scooping them up only to sell them at inflated prices (while still available for retail), but you can't really blame him for making some money. He made $600 in profit because people didn't get their google on quick enough.

• Check out accesshiphop.com. I just back from the store and they had a few in stock right now.