MAYFIELD VS. GAYE

2»

Comments

• It doesn't surprise me that Curtis gets a little more run on a hardcore record collectors forum.

What's yr quibble, kind sir?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    It doesn't surprise me that Curtis gets a little more run on a hardcore record collectors forum.

What's yr quibble, kind sir?

I tottaly agree w/ you GP.

But i think alot of it is just "Keepin it Real-ism" vs true critique.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Marvin's output may have slightly penetrated the greater culture at large than Curtis. You had to dig a little bit deeper than the radio to fully appreciate Curtis' greatness. It doesn't surprise me that Curtis gets a little more run on a hardcore record collectors forum.

i disagree. curtis, whether solo or with the impressions, had a gang of crossover hits either way and still gets played on dusties shows. (however, if i ever hear curtis on white oldies radio, its generally an impressions cut)

• this question is . the question has no answer! picking one of your favorite children is easy but not between curtis and marvin. to keep it democratic im going to have to put up a couple of GAYE videos to balance this thread out.....

who said marvin gaye wasn't uplifting?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Outstanding![/b]

Marvin's output may have slightly penetrated the greater culture at large than Curtis. You had to dig a little bit deeper than the radio to fully appreciate Curtis' greatness. It doesn't surprise me that Curtis gets a little more run on a hardcore record collectors forum.

i disagree. curtis, whether solo or with the impressions, had a gang of crossover hits either way and still gets played on dusties shows. (however, if i ever hear curtis on white oldies radio, its generally an impressions cut)

Wasnt Mayfield addressing social issues before Gaye?

Is there a Miss you Curtis song?

Gaye has like 4.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

rootless, what's sad about the Green/Gaye debate? Decidedly Marvin? I know Al is not as deep but the combo of his voice and Willie Mitchell's production is preferable to my ears.

I just think it's an unimaginative debate. Like, why are we drawing this comparion? Two of the more recognizable black soul singers of the 60's and 70's? Okay sure. But once you scratch the surface they have very little in common. Al Green was, by-and-large, just a voice. Marvin was a force .

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    the answer is CURTIS MAYFIELD by a long shot.

i recently decided, after many listens and "tries", that i don't care for Marvin Gaye......well maybe just a lil' of his 60's output.

• Marvin's output may have slightly penetrated the greater culture at large than Curtis. You had to dig a little bit deeper than the radio to fully appreciate Curtis' greatness. It doesn't surprise me that Curtis gets a little more run on a hardcore record collectors forum.

Fair enough, but do you think Curtis has anything as omnipresent as: "Grapevine", "What's Going On?", "Let's Get it On" or even "Sexual Healing"?

I just can't help but think there's a lot more regulars who haven't heard of Curtis really but do know a Marvin Gaye song or two.

• we have had this discussion before. and the responses are always the same.

i don't recall this

i DO recall there being a Curtis vs. Isaac Hayes thread, and Curtis was the easy winner.

But with Marvin it's a tougher call. Like I said, i'd go with Curtis overall, but I do think cats may be right that Marvin had/has greater mainstream success. I mean of course Curtis had big hits, but yes Marvin's may have penetrated the mainstream more.

Of course it's ultimately kind of a pointless question, but i do think it's fun to think about and can potentially raise some interesting questions and observations about these 2 giants of music.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

Fair enough, but do you think Curtis has anything as omnipresent as: "Grapevine", "What's Going On?", "Let's Get it On" or even "Sexual Healing"?

I just can't help but think there's a lot more regulars who haven't heard of Curtis really but do know a Marvin Gaye song or two.

I'd say that "Move On Up", "Superfly", "Freddie's Dead" and "People Get Ready" come pretty damn close.

Now I'm letting myself get drawn into the debate when I didn't want to, but Curtis' influence is arguably more far-reaching. For example, check out a few early Wailers tunes and tell me that Marley, Tosh and Bunny weren't modelling themselves on the Impressions.

Wasnt Mayfield addressing social issues before Gaye?

way before

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    we have had this discussion before. and the responses are always the same.

i recently decided, after many listens and "tries", that i don't care for Marvin Gaye......well maybe just a lil' of his 60's output.

There is no "answer" to this type of question...

Maybe if you said "Kenny G vs. Coltrane" we might have an easier argument , but it ultimately comes down to personal taste and whatever music moves you as an individual.

If I had to choose I would pick Marvin , but Curtis is so phenomenal I don't really like choosing one over the other...just listen to great music and enjoy it rather than make these types of comparisons, it works out better that way.

SORRY, SHOULD HAVE READ:

we have had this discussion before. and the responses are always the same.

the answer *TOO ME* is CURTIS MAYFIELD by a long shot.

There are, but even if Marvin beats out Curtis recognition-wise (by a narrow margin), it ain't like Curtis is some one-hit-wonder on the B-list. He definitely got his.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

There are, but even if Marvin beats out Curtis recognition-wise (by a narrow margin), it ain't like Curtis is some one-hit-wonder on the B-list. He definitely got his.

'Grapevine' was first released by Gladys Knight & the Pips, and was writen by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong. So Gaye only gets partial credit for that one.

'Let's get it on' was writen by Gaye and Ed Townsend. So Gaye gets a little more credit for that one.

'Sexual healing' was writen by Marvin Gaye, Odell Brown, David Ritz. - You get what I'm getting at.

The combination of Motown and Gaye is what makes him one of the greatests.

Curtis did it on his own. He wrote and produced pretty much all his hits. Plus, he put many[/b] of them out on his own record label.

GOAT

Curtis did it on his own. He wrote and produced pretty much all his hits. Plus, he put most of[/b] them out on his own record label.

Who's Live Album is better?

Who's Live Album is better?

both men had three apiece

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

mhhh.... If we talk on a purely music level, maybe I would choose Marvin.......

as much as I love Curtis music....(and I do love it) and I recognize his genius, Marvin had something more goin on with his songs....

Probably because he had the chance to use various arrangers - songwriters, his albums in the end sounds a bit more varied...

Like JB, Curtis had his own trademarks that made him an absolute innovator, but at the same time, this somehow limited his music on the long shot...

Curtis lyrics are unbeatable, but Marvin vocals ?

.......this is a tough one, really.

• gaye. one of the best voices evar. peace, stein. . .

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    gaye. one of the best voices evar. peace, stein. . .

that's true. I consider Curtis not only a better over all artist, but the GOAT, but still....he doesn't have the greatest voice. (ducks and runs.)

Curtis doesn't have the greatest voice. (ducks and runs.)

Buggin