MAYFIELD VS. GAYE

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Marvin Gaye vs Curtis Mayfield......... or

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Easy that is... wait, no, it is... but what about... no.. wait... HEAD EXPLODES.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Curtis Gaye & Marvin Mayfield

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Easy that is... wait, no, it is... but what about... no.. wait... HEAD EXPLODES.

Where's that animated Scanners gif when you need it?

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    definitely Gaye

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    definitely Mayfield

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Where's that animated Scanners gif when you need it?

• HamHam 872 Posts
    Mayfield. just personal taste.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    does not compute.

does not compute.

I mean, this is different from those Clash/Jam threads. It's one thing debating the relative merits of a couple of albums by the same artist, but trying to decide who's better between Marvin and Curtis is like being asked which one of your children's your favourite. Who'd want to make a decision like that?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Beard-wise they are evenly matched but I think Marvin takes the lead on chest hair.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    sure its a 'double edged whammy' but make a choice on something arbitrary....

move on up > grapevine
    QED

imho of course

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Mayfield. just personal taste.

+1

Mayfield just equals everything thats good about people/life. A positive shining example to all man kind. Truly one in a billion.

Gaye is a true great also.

But if I started a church, Curtis Mayfield would be first in line for a sainthood.

play this

and just looking at these pictures.

Now, didn't your day just get a bit brighter.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Mayfield..because he was a more varied artist than Gaye...all those kick ass songs he wrote and productons for Okeh in the 60s in addition to the Impressions and his 70s output which trumps Marvin's 70s output (yeah even with "Whats goin on")..then again my favorite Marvin stuff is the mid 60s stuff...I'd rather listen "Baby Dont Do it" than anything on "Whats Goin On" (ducks and runs)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Mayfield just equals everything thats good about people/life.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    PAC VS. BIGGIE[/b]

Mayfield..because he was a more varied artist than Gaye...all those kick ass songs he wrote and productons for Okeh in the 60s in addition to the Impressions and his 70s output which trumps Marvin's 70s output (yeah even with "Whats goin on")..then again my favorite Marvin stuff is the mid 60s stuff...I'd rather listen "Baby Dont Do it" than anything on "Whats Goin On" (ducks and runs)

• i'd take Curtis just on the basis of personal preference. but this is one of those questions where there's really no right answer.

that said, do you think it's fair to say that Curtis has a more extensive track record as a writer and producer?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Marvin is great but CURTIS IS GOAT.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    we have had this discussion before. and the responses are always the same.

the answer is CURTIS MAYFIELD by a long shot.

i recently decided, after many listens and "tries", that i don't care for Marvin Gaye......well maybe just a lil' of his 60's output.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    i don't care for Marvin Gaye......

BAN

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    we have had this discussion before. and the responses are always the same.

the answer is CURTIS MAYFIELD by a long shot.

i recently decided, after many listens and "tries", that i don't care for Marvin Gaye......well maybe just a lil' of his 60's output.

There is no "answer" to this type of question...

Maybe if you said "Kenny G vs. Coltrane" we might have an easier argument , but it ultimately comes down to personal taste and whatever music moves you as an individual.

If I had to choose I would pick Marvin , but Curtis is so phenomenal I don't really like choosing one over the other...just listen to great music and enjoy it rather than make these types of comparisons, it works out better that way.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Maybe if you said " Al Green v. Marvin Gaye[/b]" we might have an easier argument ,

sadly, this has been argued on here before.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts

If I had to choose I would pick Marvin , but Curtis is so phenomenal I don't really like choosing one over the other...just listen to great music and enjoy it rather than make these types of comparisons, it works out better that way.

I would have put it like this maybe just with a few spelling mistakes.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    Doesn't Ware share a lot of writing credits with Marvin?

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Doesn't Ware share a lot of writing credits with Marvin?

From what I remember reading in 'Divided Soul' (great book by the way) , Marvin's "I Want You" LP was supposed to be a Leon Ware album but Marvin heard the tracks and it ended up being a Marvin album with Leon working right alongside him the whole way. check the liner notes on that one , Ware's name is all over it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    this is what, the leventy-seventh Curtis Mayfield thread to appear on Soul Strut?

that said, do you think it's fair to say that Curtis has a more extensive track record as a writer and producer?

Yes.

• Marvin's output may have slightly penetrated the greater culture at large than Curtis. You had to dig a little bit deeper than the radio to fully appreciate Curtis' greatness. It doesn't surprise me that Curtis gets a little more run on a hardcore record collectors forum.

rootless, what's sad about the Green/Gaye debate? Decidedly Marvin? I know Al is not as deep but the combo of his voice and Willie Mitchell's production is preferable to my ears.

It doesn't surprise me that Curtis gets a little more run on a hardcore record collectors forum.