The Wire final episode (CHOCK FULL OF SPOILERS)

ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Just running out the door but what are people's thoughts on the last episode? Uhm, in case it's not obvious, don't read this if you don't want to know. Jay's speech at McNulty's wake was fantastic, and the only time I can remember him being sincere, even if only at the end. And McNulty gets in one last "what the fuck did I do?" Templeton the fabulist wins a pulitzer... well, should have seen this coming. All the blue collar joes get back to work. Poor Dukie, shooting up in an alley, dealing junk. Michael = Omar v2.0? I find it hard to believe Cedric would choose this time to not play ball with the higher-ups. The easy resolution between Kima and Lester/McNulty similarly seemed contrived to tie up the plot. Cheese gets taken out: finally. Gus somehow manages not to get fired? Okay... Final montage sequence: strangely unsatisfying. And they just used the same theme music... boo.NO LOVE FOR CUTTY... boo x2.

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Michael = Omar v2.0?

Don't think anyone called this one. I like it though.

I enjoyed the season, even though it wasn't the best.

I just read through the last of the other thread, and that was just about all I could take of the internetforumdeconstruction&critique.

RIP theWire.

SAVE DOOKIE!

• Michael = Omar v2.0?

Well that whole final string of events was a nice way to touch back on the players change but the game remains the same theme. The Michael scene echoed the first Omar robbery we saw in s1. Marlo was a rehash of an s3 Stringer/suits dealings. The Kima/Bunk conversation of "there you go taking a call when you're not up" was an exact conversation Bunk had with Mcnutty early on. Only Marlo rejected this fate. Though I thought he was about to have a Bodie moment the way it was shot.

I am glad they gave Big G the most satisfying kill of the season. I've never been more delighted to see an on screen character murdered.

Poor Duke gets the worst of the montage scenes.

Fuck I am going to have to watch this again.

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
    "That was for Joe"

Cutty not being in the last episode was

• Cutty not being in the last episode was

Why the hell would Cutty be in the last episode?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Chris kickin' it with Wee-Bey in the Assassin's Corner!

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Final montage sequence: strangely unsatisfying. And they just used the same theme music... boo.

Has there ever been a satisfying montage on the Wire? I've always found them to be weak.

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
    Cutty not being in the last episode was

Why the hell would Cutty be in the last episode?

In the montage...

• Final montage sequence: strangely unsatisfying. And they just used the same theme music... boo.

Has there ever been a satisfying montage on the Wire? I've always found them to be weak.

I thought the Prezbalewski, "I Walk the Line," was tremendous.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

Final montage sequence: strangely unsatisfying. And they just used the same theme music... boo.

I thought end of season 4 with "walk on gilded splinters" was satisfying.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    an article about everyones favourite sub-plot this season from Esquire.
    http://www.esquire.com/features/essay/david-simon-0308

For that alone, I can have no regrets. Nah, son, fuck law school. And fuck the M.B.A. I???ll never have. And fuck all that Chaucer and Cervantes and Proust I might never get around to reading. On a given day, I learn something that you didn???t know and then, my authority drawn only from scrawl on pages of a pocket notebook, I write it up clean so the rest of you can get your hands filthy with ink, reading my righteous shit.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    is there some legal something or other somewhere that says that the defence lawyer shouldn't be slamming the judge presiding over his cases? Isn't there some ethical conflict of interest going on there or sumpin?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I am glad they gave Big G the most satisfying kill of the season. I've never been more delighted to see an on screen character murdered.

For real. Not the least of which is for piss poor acting.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

For real. Not the least of which is for piss poor acting.

aw come on. youre just playing your role as the critic. cheese wasnt that bad

i dont ever remember yelling out NICE while seeing someone get popped in the head!!
    go slim!! took him long enough.

hows about marlo. quite an ending for him. he going to slowly build his name back up?? dude is psycho

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Too many threads.. I posted this in the R.I.P. thread:

So, parallels-wise...

Greggs => McNulty
    Michael => Omar
    Sydnor => Freamon?
    Dukie => Bubs (pre-clean, of course)
    Slim => Joe?
    Chris => Wee-Bey?

Nothing serious and I'm really not trying to read into too much, but I think it's safe to say that some of these were intentional.

Also, upon my second viewing, I realized that the kids Marlo stepped to were talking about The Legend Of Omar. Was his crossing the street an ego trip?

his name was everything. he ruled through his name.
    they didnt even know him!!! definitely showed some hands though.
    that was some crazy shit. it was also crazy seeing him hobnob with levy's crowd.
    he represents unchecked capitalism, there's still name and ego involved in the whole thing. maybe its the same for the all the richest folk who just want more money. did marlo even spend all the loot he made? cause if it was all about survival...you get a half mill in bills and bounce to puerto rico or the seychelles or some shit.
    marlos just had a taste for that street shit. licking his blood and loving it.crazy.

what took slim so long????
    who could have predicted mcnulty getting out so good??

shit...and lester?? good to see that he is going to be taken care of for a while. gottamn!!!!

• Michael = Omar v2.0?

Well that whole final string of events was a nice way to touch back on the players change but the game remains the same theme. The Michael scene echoed the first Omar robbery we saw in s1. Marlo was a rehash of an s3 Stringer/suits dealings. The Kima/Bunk conversation of "there you go taking a call when you're not up" was an exact conversation Bunk had with Mcnutty early on. Only Marlo rejected this fate. Though I thought he was about to have a Bodie moment the way it was shot.

Poor Duke gets the worst of the montage scenes.

Fuck I am going to have to watch this again.

Another echo:

Levy to Herc "Yvette's making brisket."

Same shit he said when we first saw him in Season 1 when he came to pick up D'Angelo after Bunk and McNulty questioned him.

• is there some legal something or other somewhere that says that the defence lawyer shouldn't be slamming the judge presiding over his cases? Isn't there some ethical conflict of interest going on there or sumpin?

There is. That's why Pearlman said: "My first case and I'll have to recuse myself."

• Norman was cracking me up in the open.

I exclaimed HOLY SHIT when Slim capped Cheese.

I'm also not so down on Meth's acting skills. I thought he delivered that final speech to Fat Face Rick quite well. It was certainly well-written.

Oh, did anyone else think "Valchek!" when Carver and Daniels were whispering at the promotion ceremony?

In the end, what does it matter who sits in the Commish's chair? It apparently doesn't.

So who else is hoping the actor who played Cedric gets more screen time on Lost?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    So who else is hoping the actor who played Cedric gets more screen time on Lost?

Not me, only b/c I don't want to think of dude as a bad guy!

Besides, I'm having too much fun watching Ken Leung and that nervous white dude.