Has anyone seen Truffaut's The Bride Wore Black?

SurrealistSurrealist 218 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Francois Truffaut's La Mariee Etait En Noir/The Bride Wore Black reminded me a lot of some Hitchcock films I've seen...Has anyone else seen this film, and if you've also seen Kill Bill Pt I and or II, do you agree it's possible Tarantino could have appropriated some aspect of his storyline from Truffaut's film? Basically, we're looking at almost the same premise. There are a lot of differences between the two, of course...What do you think?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yes, yes, and yes. The Cornell Woolrich novel is better than
    both films. Kill Bill definitely borrows from TBWB, in the usual
    Quentin Tarantino style. Bride Wore Black is pretty good, and 1,000x
    better than Truffaut's other Woolrich adaptation, Mississippi Mermaid,
    which is pretty much a mess. Check out the original BWB novel and Woolrich's
    work in general, especially if you are a fan of Hitchcock/Truffaut.

• Yes, yes, and yes. The Cornell Woolrich novel is better than
    both films. Kill Bill definitely borrows from TBWB, in the usual
    Quentin Tarantino style. Bride Wore Black is pretty good, and 1,000x
    better than Truffaut's other Woolrich adaptation, Mississippi Mermaid,
    which is pretty much a mess. Check out the original BWB novel and Woolrich's
    work in general, especially if you are a fan of Hitchcock/Truffaut.
    I will definitely check out Woolrich's novel...on the subject of Tarantino borrowing from TBWB, to me it's really obvious...also, I am more into Hitchcock's work than Truffaut's, but I really loved Truffaut's Les Quatre Cents Coups/400 Blows...I just loved this film for its existentialist statements...very moody work...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Definite favourite - I like that they did not cast someone really young in Moreau's role either.

Supposedly, Tarantino has never seen the film.

• Definite favourite - I like that they did not cast someone really young in Moreau's role either.

Supposedly, Tarantino has never seen the film.
    this was my understanding also...that Tarantino claimed to have never seen the film, which is actually strange given how in-the-know he usually is about European films i.e. sexploitation, poliziesco, gialli, eurotrash, new wave all of it really...I agree about casting Moreau...you could see the wanton desperation and got the sense her character was really spent emotionally...had he cast anyone else the movie wouldn't have worked