Common Records That Arent Common Anymore

2»

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    The saddest thing I've noticed over the last few years is that clean copies of good normal records are getting A LOT harder to find. Like, you can't really just walk into a record shop and buy a Curtis or Velvet Underground lp like you used'ta could. It must suck to be getting into records these days.

so true...try going out and finding a clean Black Sabbath s/t, or the aforementioned Curtis, or an MC5...just in the last 5 years shit is diminishin'...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The anthonypearsons are ebaying all of your records around the world, so in time they drop out of circulation over there.

Damn, there's more than one of him? I guess that would explain how he can run 1,000+ items at a time and not break a sweat. I think he got one of those cloning devices like in the Prestige.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Yep,

I hear Skullsnaps, Ramp & Joe Quarterman were plentiful in Finland, IN THE 80's AND EARLY 90's

A friend of mine once passed on a box of sealed Skull Snaps LP's at a fleamarket...but this was 20 years ago when great collectros weren't looking for soul records, at least not in this part of the world.

Natural Four "Heaven Right Here On Earth" and the Notations LP on Gemigo used to be real common here in Finland, but not anymore.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Tell me about it. These days I'm just buying tons of mediocre-to-crappy 80s Boston rock records, hoping to find something that doesn't suck.

What's your take on the Turbines or Treat Her Right?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I guess my take is that I haven't seen them around. Did they used to be common?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    A friend of mine once passed on a box of sealed Skull Snaps LP's at a fleamarket

ouch. I can only assume that he felt his skull snap after discovering that it had value.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

This Dallas LP, Jason & Wilson, used to always pop up around Dallas and you could sell it for $75-100. Haven't seen it in 3-4 years - apart from the microscopic cover scans on Japanese websites.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The saddest thing I've noticed over the last few years is that clean copies of good normal records are getting A LOT harder to find. Like, you can't really just walk into a record shop and buy a Curtis or Velvet Underground lp like you used'ta could. It must suck to be getting into records these days.

Stacks of all the shit mentioned in this thread (minus the libraries) are all over the atlanta area. BLueNote, Kudu, CTI terds, All the curtis mayfield records but beat up, SalSoul, all of the group "pleasures" records, prelude records, all the titles on the PIR label....but the prices of these shits is another story

*[i]Quietly schedules plane tickets to meet E, hit record spots and strip clubs in Hotlanta**

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    Parliment/Funkadelic

Well, THR is, the Turbines maybe less so (where I stay). But since you're out looking for 1980's Boston rock, I wondered if you'd ever happened on their stuff.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Well, THR is, the Turbines maybe less so (where I stay). But since you're out looking for 1980's Boston rock, I wondered if you'd ever happened on their stuff.

I've been getting more into in the last 6 months since I found a store with a nice Boston section, but it hasn't been at the forefront of my collectroing for too long. Still, I've already seen enough Barrence Whitfield records to last a lifetime.

I've already seen enough Barrence Whitfield records to last a lifetime.

Considering it was on a small label (Mamou), Barrence's first album turns up in Chicago with alarming frequency. The long-players on the slightly larger Rounder label turn up too, but somehow that first one with the white cover is ubiquitous. But then again, he toured like a madman in the late '80s and early '90s - the Chicago rockabillies loved him - so I'm sure his elpees circulated real well.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• blockoblocko 43 Posts
    stuff on muza and pronit in norhtern germany. fleamarkets used to be full with them. also the more common krautrock titles.