Common Records That Arent Common Anymore

jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
...at least in my area:Mainstream Jazz LPs : i used to have almost the full run of the 300series because i found them all the time. i havent seen one in a couple of years.Kudu/CTI : these used to be at every record store, every thrift store, every flea market, and a lot of the garage sales i used to go to. i hardly ever see titles on these labels anymore.Kool & the Gang - Live at the Sex Machine : i used to grab this record and hand it out to friends often. Blax SDTKs : The Mack, Black Caesar, Superfly, Shaft, etc just arent around like they used to be.

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    ...at least in my area:

Mainstream Jazz LPs : i used to have almost the full run of the 300series because i found them all the time. i havent seen one in a couple of years.

Kudu/CTI : these used to be at every record store, every thrift store, every flea market, and a lot of the garage sales i used to go to. i hardly ever see titles on these labels anymore.

Kool & the Gang - Live at the Sex Machine : i used to grab this record and hand it out to friends often.

Blax SDTKs : The Mack, Black Caesar, Superfly, Shaft, etc just arent around like they used to be.

I'm a lil digger, but I seem to find plenty of those records mentioned, except for The_Mack and Black Caesar which I rarely see. Maybe it's just locale.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Release of an oath. I used to see this thing everywhere. But now that I got a split in the sleeve, the bitch is nowhere to be found.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    This thread isn't cracking until Carfagna and Leichtman ("had a box of those, sold 'em for $15 a pop" and "you used to see this EVERYWHERE down south", respectively) weigh in.

In NYC, stuff we find laying around isn't really common anywhere else (reggae, disco, hip-hop).

• In NYC, stuff we find laying around isn't really common anywhere else (reggae, disco, hip-hop, Bay Rapp[/b]).

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    This thread isn't cracking until Carfagna and Leichtman ("had a box of those, sold 'em for $15 a pop" and "you used to see this EVERYWHERE down south", respectively) weigh in.

In NYC, stuff we find laying around isn't really common anywhere else (reggae, disco, hip-hop, tolerant humane attitude toward gays[/b]).

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

I used to see every good record ever made by the running yard in Chicago.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Major label soul and funk albums released between the years 1980 - 1984.

• french cosmic/electro/arpadys style late 70s/ early 80s libraries in France

These bitches used to be left by everybody two years ago, now they are hard to locate.

People jocked on label like Musax or late telemusic releases not so long ago..

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Blue Note, Impulse and Prestige LPs used to be all over the place in DC, but I only see 'em at used record stores of note nowadays. They don't turn up in the old places often anymore.

• ...at least in my area:

Blax SDTKs : The Mack, Black Caesar, Superfly, Shaft, etc just arent around like they used to be.
    Thankfully, I got all four back in the day (the 90s, haha), because I haven't seen these anymore/anywhere either...not even at record conventions...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    These bitches used to be left by everybody two years ago, now they are hard to locate.

• In NYC, stuff we find laying around isn't really common anywhere else (reggae, disco, hip-hop).

Tell me about it. I feel disco deprived here in the Bay. I find just enough of it to give me a nice glimpse into that world but I want more damnit!

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    One thing I noticed is a lack of EARLY Motown records recently.... they used to be common as hell...in some shops the only 'funk/soul' they had...now all i seem to see is there later disco type stuff.... no 71-74 releases in a while....

and I used to see lots of the daly Wilson record with Dirty Feet... havent seen one of them in yonks....

Maybe Im going to all the right spots at the wrong time.... :-)

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

ive only seen the mack once, NEVER seen black caesar, but really shaft and superfly are pretty plentiful still in my area. i pass up multiple copies of Superfly a year.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    i pass up multiple copies of Superfly a year.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    deprived
    kidinquisitive

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    deprived
    kidinquisitive

haha seriously. dude's 45 lists make me cry. why must I cry?

oh, yeah ... ... Boston, that's why.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The saddest thing I've noticed over the last few years is that clean copies of good normal records are getting A LOT harder to find. Like, you can't really just walk into a record shop and buy a Curtis or Velvet Underground lp like you used'ta could. It must suck to be getting into records these days.

• you just need a good record store in your town.

it is getting harder to find any and every title clean.

clean 60s jazz is tough to find here in Texas.

• Friends Of Sound has the deep disco bins. That's what I'm talkin' bout.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    you just need a good record store in your town.

This is certainly true, but even when the better ones (that I go to) have these kind of records they tend to now be $30, vacuum sealed, and nailed on a wall 8 feet above my head. Not that I'm saying this shouldn't be, but not so long ago these records didn't need to be given that kind of treatment...

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    Yep,

I hear Skullsnaps, Ramp & Joe Quarterman were plentiful in Finland, IN THE 80's AND EARLY 90's, when I wasn't yet looking for records. There's a reason why all those are harder to find in America, you shipped them all across the pond.

Theory: I think the same thing is happening with many things mentioned in this post. The anthonypearsons are ebaying all of your records around the world, so in time they drop out of circulation over there.

• The anthonypearsons are ebaying all of your records around the world, so in time they drop out of circulation over there.

Damn, there's more than one of him? I guess that would explain how he can run 1,000+ items at a time and not break a sweat. I think he got one of those cloning devices like in the Prestige.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    The saddest thing I've noticed over the last few years is that clean copies of good normal records are getting A LOT harder to find. Like, you can't really just walk into a record shop and buy a Curtis or Velvet Underground lp like you used'ta could. It must suck to be getting into records these days.

Stacks of all the shit mentioned in this thread (minus the libraries) are all over the atlanta area. BLueNote, Kudu, CTI terds, All the curtis mayfield records but beat up, SalSoul, all of the group "pleasures" records, prelude records, all the titles on the PIR label....but the prices of these shits is another story

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    I have no problem finding the soundtracks, kudu, or cti in jersey. i'm not a disco head but i know i pass up some great 12"s for sure. bluenote is getting a bit sparse, but the prestige records and all jazz for that matter are still in abundance. the thing you have to pick up as soon as you see it here is good reggae: studio one, et. al. that's becoming more and more scarce.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

The Velvet Underground = common?

Maybe the '80s reissues, but apart from that...

Maybe you're talking about the early seventies, when you could (reportedly) still see sealed Velvets records in grocery store cutout racks...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    One thing I noticed is a lack of EARLY Motown records recently.... they used to be common as hell...in some shops the only 'funk/soul' they had...now all i seem to see is there later disco type stuff.... no 71-74 releases in a while....

For a label that has been around since roughly the early sixties, '71-'74 is NOT early.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Clean Stax titles from any year are noticably absent in DC lately. I used to see stuff all the time, now it's early-to-mid-80s collections (Bar-kays, Rance Allen) if you see them at all.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    deprived
    kidinquisitive

haha seriously. dude's 45 lists make me cry. why must I cry?

oh, yeah ... ... Boston, that's why.

Tell me about it. These days I'm just buying tons of mediocre-to-crappy 80s Boston rock records, hoping to find something that doesn't suck.

Chain Link Fence is alright.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    A lot of James Brown titles don't seem to come up like back in the day.

But hey, that gives me hope that people are snatching them up because they appreciate great music.