FINDS - week of 3/4/08 onwards

2»

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    God forbid if your finds aren't up to strut standards for raerity, desirability or coolness.

God damn right! This shit ain't thebreaks.com!

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I don't think anyone was dissing your finds. I certainly wasn't. Nothing wrong with what you got and I would never say anything anyways. The thread started to look a little funny because that first string of photos kept getting quoted over and over, so then Jaymack happened to quote the pictures, but multiplied it a few times to poke fun at the fact that it kept getting quoted. I saw that and laughed, so I quoted him quoting the photos. I went away for awhile and next time i checked the thread everything had been deleted by drewnice.

cpeetz called them mediocre finds. He's the only one who commented, but I get the feeling he was more pissed about us posting the multiple pictures. None of us had said anything about the records, just poking fun at the multiple pictures. I'm not one to judge someone's finds.

this whole thing is over us being obnoxious, not about the quality of your finds, which really shouldn't be in question. I've never seen that Grant green either.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Oh shit. Gold, Silver, and Bronze crust metals to you sir!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

cpeetz called them mediocre finds. He's the only one who commented, but I get the feeling he was more pissed about us posting the multiple pictures. None of us had said anything about the records, just poking fun at the multiple pictures. I'm not one to judge someone's finds.

Even the rarest of the rare finds are ruined by over quoting.
    There were a couple things of interest in those finds, don't get me wrong.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I don't think anyone meant anything negative, even you cpeetz, it was just some sillyness that popped off in a matter of minutes and I guess some people got annoyed by us exagerating to prove a point. It was all in good fun.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I got the joke, the finds were definitely not the joke, the whole thing was about people needing to quit being lazy with their quoting (ie.edit the picture links out). Pencilface, you just missed that part of it & thought people were dissing your finds, you were just unlucky that your pics were used as an example of how irritating it is to see the same pics quoted over & over ad nauseum in a thread. I thought it was pretty well done.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

not finds but birthday presents actually.... i am now officially one of the oldest batches on this board!

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    (6) 45's:
    smith connection "i've been a winner, i've been... bw, i cant hold on much longer"
    Linda tillery "womanly way bw, markin' time"
    vivian reed "ready and waiting"
    johnny taylor "im so proud bw, i need a freak"
    sharon paige with harold melvin/bluenotes "tonights the night bw, your love is..."
    brook benton "cant take my eyes bw, weekend with feathers"

Vietnamese Junk store in the TL on eddy and leavenworth yielded a a fifty cent steve parks lp in really nice condition.

• The Guttorm Guttormsen is a nice norwegian spiritual jazz LP which a friazz album.end of mine reissued lately..This is the OG.. The reissue looks different and doesnt have all the tracks.. It has 50% of this LP on it, and 50% of a another LP on it..

I reissued that shit!

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts

The Guttorm Guttormsen is a nice norwegian spiritual jazz LP which a friazz album.end of mine reissued lately..This is the OG.. The reissue looks different and doesnt have all the tracks.. It has 50% of this LP on it, and 50% of a another LP on it..

I reissued that shit!

so you were involved too?
    lars was like "i just reissued this one"

he gave me a copy.. i was at his office and he had like 500 copies on the floor.

whoop whoop

har du flytta ut av oslo forresten?
    ser deg aldri p?? messer eller noe lenger.

• some trades, some charity shop stuff and a few cheap 7's:

i had to get the URSZULA SPINSKA once i saw the fold out poster. i was sold instantly - the music is pretty unremarkable....
    the DICK MORRISEY is pure cheese on harvest-fusion (never seen that before) - thought the cover looked good though...

the 7's are:
    LES CHARLOTS - "psychose" ep (brilliant mad jerk with silly sound effects and stuff ... i think i read that these guys were popular comedians or something!)
    FUSIOON - "farsadel buenvivir" (amazingly daft prog with squelchy synths and good drums. brilliant)
    APHRODITE'S CHILD - "end of the world" (bought for the magic-mirror alike b-side .. i think ive got all the good french sides now)
    AEROPLANE - "it's so better" (alright rocker - nothing special)
    ELECTRIC HAIR - "aquarius" (different, and better, than the electric hair pieces LP - the let the sunshine in' has massive drums -- great stuff)
    KENNY ROGERS & 1ST EDITION - "heed the call" (meaty drums)
    THE METERS - "look-ka py py" (brilliant - what a killer breakbeat. i need another copy now for hours of fun)

• The Guttorm Guttormsen is a nice norwegian spiritual jazz LP which a friazz album.end of mine reissued lately..This is the OG.. The reissue looks different and doesnt have all the tracks.. It has 50% of this LP on it, and 50% of a another LP on it..

I reissued that shit!

so you were involved too?
    lars was like "i just reissued this one"

he gave me a copy.. i was at his office and he had like 500 copies on the floor.

whoop whoop

har du flytta ut av oslo forresten?
    ser deg aldri p?? messer eller noe lenger.

Japp japp mitt navn st??r bakp?? koveret, jeg gjorde layouten oxo ..

Ville surfe og flytta til Stavanger, bare fretex graving p?? meg om dagen ..

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Just some stuff at the thrift

Marvin Gaye's "In The Groove"
    Tom Jones "Fever Zone"
    Hubert Laws "The Rite Of Spring"
    The Underground Sound "Playback '69": A yearbook LP from some high school - "N.T.E." - with a plain white, hand-stamped cover. There's a 30 second intro at the start which has a lo-fi drum and synth freakout. The next is a standard anti-Vietnam War female folk song. The rest has a corny spoken word skit about locker searches (ends with the narcs stumbling onto two male classmates making out), announcer clips from sporting events and various drama club fare

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Just some stuff at the thrift

The Underground Sound "Playback '69": A yearbook LP from some high school - "N.T.E." - with a plain white, hand-stamped cover. There's a 30 second intro at the start which has a lo-fi drum and synth freakout. The next is a standard anti-Vietnam War female folk song. The rest has a corny spoken word skit about locker searches (ends with the narcs stumbling onto two male classmates making out), announcer clips from sporting events and various drama club fare

That would be New Trier East... from the suburbs of Chicago.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I know these aren't OG. I think they are Jamaican bootlegs or represses. They were at a garage sale. Great listening.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts

That would be New Trier East... from the suburbs of Chicago.

Thank you. That satisfies my curiosity. I found this Wikipedia article funny. It defitely explains the tongue in cheek outrage over students getting their lockers searched:

"New Trier was featured in the December 9, 1996, issue of Time in an article entitled "High Times at New Trier High." Among other claims, the article stated that "New Trier kids who smoke pot" were "by all accounts more than three-fifths of the student body," compared with national averages at the time closer to 33%.[12]

In the days and weeks that followed publication, there was intense discussion in the community of the true scope of the drug problem among high school students. James Graff, the Time magazine writer who penned the story, was interviewed in WNTH's studio for the weekly student-run Night Talk program. On the air, Graff acknowledged that the "three-fifths" claim had been inadvertently rewritten during the editing process in such a way that seemed to imply that more than 60% of New Trier students may be regular users of marijuana, whereas that figure should have been clearly labeled as the portion of students who had ever used marijuana, including many who had used it only once or twice.

After the article was published, the school administration enhanced efforts to reduce drug use, including posting student-survey results. One step that was taken was putting up a poster claiming that most New Trier students do not smoke cigarettes; the poster featured a picture of a girl with the caption, "I'm one of them." The campaign was criticized for many reasons, one being that the girl was not a student but rather a model.

Former school superintendent Henry Bangser was quoted in the Time article as saying, "How could a school eradicate it? Schools have a responsibility to address the problem, but students didn't learn to do drugs here, and mostly they don't do it here."

Not how sure that's different to any other high school, though.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    Finds of the last weeks - Berlin, Stockholm, Stuttgart.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

That cat made me do a double take.

• INVRS - whats the modern soul band LP like? worth getting?

i think you've got my favourite of the SBB records there aswell.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    INVRS - whats the modern soul band LP like? worth getting?

i think you've got my favourite of the SBB records there aswell.

its ok, nothing super special. for a german its funny because the lyrics are quite.. well.. funny.

• mayskimayski 12 Posts
    Nothing extraordinary but I've been feeling these the whole morning:

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    Yo Pface
    les charlots where like the french monkees.
    get there ep les hippies