Registered Mail to Europe?

bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
How much should I charge per LP? Sending a couple of packages to France, I was thinking around $25 for 1 LP, but how much for 5 LPs?I've only sent 45s via registered mail before so i'm clueless...Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    25 for ONE LP? sounds like too much.

i can send records from Europe to the US registered for about 15 USD. shipping from the US to Europe should be even cheaper.

• Cool, like I said I have no clue. So around $15 for 1 Lp then? How about 5?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i don't know. i think i paid 16.99 before... craig moerer sends them registered for 14.99? I can't remember for sure.

spot on! I charged abt 15 for 1 LP and 8 for 45s, but I shipped first class. And everyone in Europe I've dealt with appreciated that because they got their records relatively fast. So far I've shipped to Finland, Denmark, Germany and England, and for me, first class is the only way to go, although I did have a guy actually try to convince me to declare a really expensive record as being only worth $10 so he could avoid the excise tax. That was ridiculous...But 25 for only one LP to France is entirely too much in my opinion.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    although I did have a guy actually try to convince me to declare a really expensive record as being only worth $10 so he could avoid the excise tax. That was ridiculous...

why didn't you do it? i ask for that all the time. but because of the custom duties. it doesn't make any difference for the seller. but for the buyer it does.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Registered to EU = price of postage + $10 registration fee. It's about $23 for one lp.

take the package to the post office and weigh it, and depending on the value, ask for the person to get insurance and sign for it...with shipping being fixed, you just decide on a fair amount for handling and actual packaging cost...which should be nominal, not exorbitant...

• Registered to EU = price of postage + $10 registration fee. It's about $23 for one lp.

That's what I thought, cuz it cost me like $18 for a 45.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Cool, like I said I have no clue. So around $15 for 1 Lp then? How about 5?
    take the package to the post office and weigh it, and depending on the value, ask for the person to get insurance and sign for it...with shipping being fixed, you just decide on a fair amount for handling and actual packaging cost...which should be nominal, not exorbitant...

reistered shipping and insured shipping are different things. insurance is hardly ever needed.

I did have a guy actually try to convince me to declare a really expensive record as being only worth $10 so he could avoid the excise tax. That was ridiculous...

It really isn't. If you declare a high value it's likely to get held up in customs for a long time, and your customer is probably going to be angry and get charged a ton in taxes. If you're mailing it uninsured just mark the value 10 or 15 bucks. Makes life easier for everyone involved.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    although I did have a guy actually try to convince me to declare a really expensive record as being only worth $10 so he could avoid the excise tax. That was ridiculous...

why didn't you do it? i ask for that all the time. but because of the custom duties. it doesn't make any difference for the seller. but for the buyer it does.

Totally.
    And another thing... putting a high value on the little green slip gives more temptation for an unscrupulous postman to whip the item....and then ebay it again!
    Provided they have enough nous to know the forex rate.

But either way, no-one ever yet knocked on my door asking for customs cash, touch wood.

• ? maybe it is hardly ever needed, but when I am shipping a $300 45 to any destination, the person on the other end has to agree to getting insurance...they don't have a choice...and they also have to sign, no choice on that either...I'm not taking a chance on the record being cracked or lost in the mail (as a package I sent to Italy has been) just because I really want to send a record to someone I don't even know. I never linked insurance and a signature together as if the two are not separate. With some of the lesser valued items, though, I have sent without insurance and it would have been up to the other person's discretion to decide if insurance is what they want.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    ? maybe it is hardly ever needed, but when I am shipping a $300 45 to any destination, the person on the other end has to agree to getting insurance...they don't have a choice...and they also have to sign, no choice on that either...I'm not taking a chance on the record being cracked or lost in the mail (as a package I sent to Italy has been) just because I really want to send a record to someone I don't even know. I never linked insurance and a signature together as if the two are not separate. With some of the lesser valued items, though, I have sent without insurance and it would have been up to the other person's discretion to decide if insurance is what they want.

you are a hard taskmaster

• So for 5 records would it still be around $10 more than the usual total or does the price go up when registering heavier packages?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    ? maybe it is hardly ever needed, but when I am shipping a $300 45 to any destination, the person on the other end has to agree to getting insurance...they don't have a choice...and they also have to sign, no choice on that either...I'm not taking a chance on the record being cracked or lost in the mail (as a package I sent to Italy has been) just because I really want to send a record to someone I don't even know. I never linked insurance and a signature together as if the two are not separate. With some of the lesser valued items, though, I have sent without insurance and it would have been up to the other person's discretion to decide if insurance is what they want.

i understand that.

So for 5 records would it still be around $10 more than the usual total or does the price go up when registering heavier packages?

Yeah, the $10 is a flat fee... but if the package is over 4lbs you can't send it registered.... but you can send it express with tracking for the same price.

• Thanks Crink! that's what i'm talking about.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    for me to send an LP using Registered / Trackable mail , it is $50 !!!

Insane if you ask me , but Canada Post is a bit fucked up.

• ? maybe it is hardly ever needed, but when I am shipping a $300 45 to any destination, the person on the other end has to agree to getting insurance...they don't have a choice...and they also have to sign, no choice on that either...I'm not taking a chance on the record being cracked or lost in the mail (as a package I sent to Italy has been) just because I really want to send a record to someone I don't even know. I never linked insurance and a signature together as if the two are not separate. With some of the lesser valued items, though, I have sent without insurance and it would have been up to the other person's discretion to decide if insurance is what they want.

you are a hard taskmaster
    not really...I've only shipped one really valuable record before (as far as ebay transactions), and thankfully the guy had a confirmed addr (with paypal) so the deal went smoothly, actually...no complaints on either end, aside from the 4-week holiday delay...something was up with the UK postal system in his part of the UK, as we discovered, but he actually agreed to the terms, and in the end, it does give a person some peace of mind that a package will be easier to track...he was just really happy to get that record and I was happy to send it someplace where it would be more appreciated...I got a really rare funk record in the mail once and never got insurance on it (this is before I started selling) and even in retrospect I wish I had gotten it just to have been on the safe side...but to be honest, I'd rather just buy from a seller in person as we all would because at least that way I don't have to question someone else's lax/suspect grading tendencies, hahaha

I found that out the hard way. Had to stand around for a good 20 minutes while 2 clerks thumbed through this gigantic book of arcane postal rules and regulations.

• So for 5 records would it still be around $10 more than the usual total or does the price go up when registering heavier packages?

Yeah, the $10 is a flat fee... but if the package is over 4lbs you can't send it registered.... but you can send it express with tracking for the same price.
    thank you for the information, never knew that

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Totally.
    And another thing... putting a high value on the little green slip gives more temptation for an unscrupulous postman to whip the item....and then ebay it again!

But either way, no-one ever yet knocked on my door asking for customs cash, touch wood.

The Uk post office charges you ??8 just for receiving/handling the import tax money. So you not only have to drive to the post office in your lunch break, and pay the tax to get the record, they charge you ??8 for the privilege. It's a PAIN IN THE ASS.

• although I did have a guy actually try to convince me to declare a really expensive record as being only worth $10 so he could avoid the excise tax. That was ridiculous...

Totally.

The Uk post office charges you ??8 just for receiving/handling the import tax money. So you not only have to drive to the post office in your lunch break, and pay the tax to get the record, they charge you ??8 for the privilege. It's a PAIN IN THE ASS.
    never knew it was such a pain, and if I did at the time i probably wouldn't have thought of it as a ridiculous request...I did know about the 8 gbp fee either...we have it easier in the states, goodness...I totally get the time/money inconvenience now, thanks

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    THIS + THIS = The end of every Postal price czech message board post ever again plaese