Chicago

CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I am coming to Chicago next week for work. I will be there Wednesday to Saturday. I will be at the Hilton which is at 720 South Michigan Ave. Any record stores in the area worth checking. I will be in conferences most of the day. Last year I went to the Jazz Record Mart which was , but I remember someone saying a new spot was about to open in the downtown area. Help me out.

Comments

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    Reckless opened downtown last summer. Great shop for new and reissue vinyl, but don't go looking for OG Phil Cohran. Downtown is the pits for records.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Reckless opened downtown last summer. Great shop for new and reissue vinyl, but don't go looking for OG Phil Cohran. Downtown is the pits for records.

Anywhere a short cab ride away that might be worthwhile? I wouldn't mind getting out of the downtown tourist trap steakhouse and hotel scene for lunch one day while I am there. I wouldn't have more than about two hours though.

oh, and it's not that I am looking for rear I just don't want to spend a bunch of time getting to a shop full of crap reissues and $10 CTI's

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    my favorite chicago track is 'street player'

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    oh, and it's not that I am looking for rear[/b]

C'mon, man. We're ALL always on the lookout for rear.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I live about five blocks from there. Might I suggest sampling Harold's Chicken Shack, one block to the west on Wabash. You are also only a block away from Buddy Guy's Legends, not a bad place to grab a beer or shoot a game of pool during the week.

I am guessing the link above covers the record shop situation.

Looks like Hyde Park is a short cab ride away so I will hit that up. Meaty what are your hours? I didin't see them on the website. Is it that whole we open when we roll out of bed thing? Should I just call first?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    we're 11-8 every day of the week. I roll out of bed at 7AM though :-)

we're 11-8 every day of the week. I roll out of bed at 7AM though :-)

Kids will make you do that. See you next week.

• I was going to make a trip to Dr. Wax and Hyde Park records in Hyde Park (weird), anyone have anything to say about them?

p.s. FUCK RECORDBREAKERS

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Dr. Wax is closed right now, and is not worth the trip unless you're looking for new release hip hop. Hyde Park Records is the best place in the city for constant jazz/soul/funk LP and 45 turnover, other than Dusty Groove.