Amusing Record Store Talk - add your own

2»

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    There's this local spot that DigDug (aka Al*x) and I go to where the owner is a Kiss Kollecting Kook but is an okay guy for the most part. But he's always doing stuff like this:

ME: Got anything good behind the counter? (that's where the "best" stuff is)
    KISS GUY: Yeah, I do. (pulls out records and gives to me) But those are on hold for Al*x.
    ME: (looking at records) Darn.. these are good ones!
    KISS GUY: Well he hasn't been here since last weekend (note: he's only open on the weekend)... Do you want them?

So his "hold" policy is basically that he'll hold your records..until someone else wants to buy them.

This isn't the first time Al*x has gotten screwed by putting stuff on hold with this guy, so now when we discuss KISS GUY, DigDig is all

Record Dude: Oh all kinds of stuff. But the best part was that I was able to pay for the records by letting the guy suck my dick. Can you believe that? what a weirdo huh?

HAAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    letting[/b] the guy suck my dick.

(read: literally/figuratively)

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    1/2 Price Books In Arlington, TX.

The buy counter is right by the records so it's hard not to overhear their conversations. A memorable one is when they were going through a box of cds a guy just brought in and they felt the need to read ever title aloud.

7 FT TALL BLACK MAN WITH BARRY WHITE's VOICE AND URKLE's INFLECTION (clerk 1): Oh my god! Oh my god! I looooove this one. The Spin Doctors! Pocket Full of Kryptonite! Oh My God!

LITTLE NERDY BOOKWORM CHICK WITH GIGANTIC GLASSES (clerk 2): Oh my God! Awesome! Oh My God!

7 FT TALL BLACK MAN WITH BARRY WHITE's VOICE AND URKLE's INFLECTION: Oh my God! You remember this CD?

BOTH CLERKS SIMUTANEOUSLY (singing): Little miss, little miss, little miss can't be wrong....Little miss, little miss, little miss can't be wrong....

LITTLE NERDY BOOKWORM CHICK WITH GIGANTIC GLASSES (clerk 2): Oh my God!

7 FT TALL BLACK MAN WITH BARRY WHITE's VOICE AND URKLE's INFLECTION: Awesome!

Another tale from 1/2 Price was more recently when I happened to overhear this straight up YeeHaw dude brag to his buddy about how much money he can get for Abbey Road and how he can easily get $500 for some Pickwick Elvis Xmas LP.

BUMPKIN 1: Hey man... I'll tell you what...With these Elvis reckerds...Man, put this puppy the computer.... ya know, on THE ebay (always have to include "THE" before "E-Buy")... wooooo doggy! We're talkin some serious cash. Serious cash. Hey, did I ever tell you bout the time I found the Butcher cover peel off?

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I was in store once and a private dealer was in there talking to the owner:

"So how's things been"? (Store clerk)

"Great some real nice boy came over to my place and bought a few records from me and then offered to take me out to chinese food"! (Dealer)

"Wow!!!" (Store Clerk)

"From what I gather he is pretty big on the dj scene and calls himself "The Shadow"......... (Dealer)

Shit was hilarious..............................................................

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    I used to work in a record store and I always had a good laugh when people came up to the counter, pointing at the sticker on the sleeve, asking: "Is this the price?" Once, okay, I can understand. But this happened so often.

And then there was the trick of drug addicts comming into the store quietly, when I was bussy with some customer, and then comming up to the counter with a bag full of records. "Do you want to buy these?" I take a look in the bag and it's got a pile of records from my own shop in it which he just had put in there. The nerve! This might work when a shop has a new clerk, I guess. Maybe I looked like a rookie.

Now there is this fabulous, huge shop near me, the boss is totally unconsious of ebay, so you used to find all kinds of stuff for a few bucks. You know, the kind of guy who's really eager on some original Beatles record and all the rest is rubbish. Those are the shops! But now he hired two new guys who have their own ebay bussiness going without him knowing it. You cannot find any record there anymore and what's worst is that you can see all these rare records disappear behind the counter. Whenever they do decide to put one in the shop they usualy get the price by looking up the highest price on GEMM... and I think they take their part. Well, I can't blame them. They probably make $5 an hour or so in the shop. I should have aplied for the job.

I worked in a video store too. I get this call from another shop. "There's a guy for Henry, portrait of a serial killer, documentaries on concentration camps, documentaries on Charles Manson, plus whatever you have on sex crimes. He'll be over later on in the day"

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    STORY #1:

ME (store owner): Hello

DUDE: Hi, where is your Christian section?

ME: Hmmm...we don't really have a Christian section. I usually mix xian stuff with the genre of music they play. Like Larry Norman in the rock section. MXPX in the punk...what are you looking for?

DUDE: The Christian section.

ME: Uh...we don't have a Christian section. I usually mix...

DUDE: You're a fascist!

ME: I think you need to leave now.

DUDE (red faced and finger pointed): YOU'RE A FASCIST!!!

ME: Bye!

Dude leaves.

Reminds me of the time years ago when I was slaving at a record shop and this one lady was offended that we stocked Marlo Thomas' Free To Be, You & Me in the children's section. Well, where the hell were we supposed to file that record - female jazz vocals?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    We used to have this blind guy come in looking for Roy C and/or Rudy Ray Moore tapes. He would make us read the titles and song listings out loud to him.

Of course we got the cute hipster girls to read the RRM titles to him.

Man, we would fall out.

reading deadpan...

The Player

Tanks for Good Pussy

Greasy Dick

Them Flies Man

Pistol Packin' Pete

Shake Your Ass, Twirl, & Strike (Special Guest Lady Reed)

He's Using My Hand

Back Up & Get This Load

Live The Life I Love

Cut Out My Nuts

Roaches In The Corner

Sex Is A Pain In The Rear

Farting Post

Sound Off

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    There's this local spot that DigDug (aka Al*x) and I go to where the owner is a Kiss Kollecting Kook but is an okay guy for the most part. But he's always doing stuff like this:

ME: Got anything good behind the counter? (that's where the "best" stuff is)
    KISS GUY: Yeah, I do. (pulls out records and gives to me) But those are on hold for Al*x.
    ME: (looking at records) Darn.. these are good ones!
    KISS GUY: Well he hasn't been here since last weekend (note: he's only open on the weekend)... Do you want them?

So his "hold" policy is basically that he'll hold your records..until someone else wants to buy them.

This isn't the first time Al*x has gotten screwed by putting stuff on hold with this guy[/b], so now when we discuss KISS GUY, DigDig is all

So you're saying that you abetted the guy in screwing Al*x on this occasion as well?

• SpinatraSpinatra 39 Posts
    Not in a record store, but kind of a weird RR experience.

I was at the Wembly record show in London (think this is the London's biggest fair?) a couple of months back. It was pretty early and only a handful of people were kicking around. I was quietly digging through some records, with a big black dude in a vest doing the same next to me. All of a sudden he starts going, 'these are my records, these are MY fuckin' records!' The guy behind the stall looks pretty stunned as do I, as the guy starts aggressively claiming that this record was stolen from his garage a month ago. The dealer, who's looking really shook up, sheepishly tells him he better take it, so the guy stuffs it in his bag and carries on going through every box on the table, pulling out record after record until he has a pile of at about 100. In the end he just walks off in a temper with all the records under his arm! One way to score a pile of records I guess...

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    this happened to me this past week... I was going through a guys collection at his house. Just flipping through while he kept bugging me and jabbin' about typical shit. He was doing the typical boasting and war-story routine when he drops this bomb on me:

Record Dude: ...so yeah, last week I was scoping out this huge collection of 45s it was great!

Me: (trying to sound interested) oh, really? What did you find?

Record Dude: Oh all kinds of stuff. But the best part was that I was able to pay for the records by letting the guy suck my dick. Can you believe that? what a weirdo huh?

Me: (poker face in full effect) yeah, that guy sounds really odd.

Record Dude: Yeah, tell me about it. There are all sorts of wackos out there.

*keep in mind, this Record Dude was married too.

Isnt this like the second homosexual record experience you have had?

yeah, I got to stop wearing those cuttoffs when I go digging. Its giving people the wrong idea. But there just so comfortable...

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    me: how much for the miles davis?

vendor: miles..um..50 cents.

me: how much for the sealed hall and oats?

vendor: oh it's 5 dollars because it's sealed

me: i'll take ALL of the miles davis

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    this happened to me this past week... I was going through a guys collection at his house. Just flipping through while he kept bugging me and jabbin' about typical shit. He was doing the typical boasting and war-story routine when he drops this bomb on me:

Record Dude: ...so yeah, last week I was scoping out this huge collection of 45s it was great!

Me: (trying to sound interested) oh, really? What did you find?

Me: (poker face in full effect) yeah, that guy sounds really odd.

Record Dude: Yeah, tell me about it. There are all sorts of wackos out there.

*keep in mind, this Record Dude was married too.

Isnt this like the second homosexual record experience you have had?

yeah, I got to stop wearing those cuttoffs when I go digging. Its giving people the wrong idea. But there just so comfortable...

oH, and this isnt in G.R. Is it?

• mooneymooney 48 Posts

Marco thanks for leaving out the lame conversations overheard at my store this weekend. However that "Kiss Kollecting Kook" provided one of the greatest transactions I have overheard.

Lets just say he asked a customer for some "White Blotter" years ago when he first opened. Thats Rock & Roll.

Dude is a Trip

for real,

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    There's this local spot that DigDug (aka Al*x) and I go to where the owner is a Kiss Kollecting Kook but is an okay guy for the most part. But he's always doing stuff like this

Dude's hat is ridiculous. He's usually pretty fair w/ prices though...either that or he can't do math. Last time I was in there he quoted each individual album and it came to about 40 in my head and he said 25 for all of em.

The other customers always trip me out in there. One time I turned the corner to the aisle by him to look in the new funk/soul/jazz boxes and there was a 350lb woman with a mullet and a Ace Frehley T-shirt just layin in the aisle...all over the records and sh*t. She was waiting on her boyfriend who was pondering the purchase of a Maiden concert tshirt. She had no intentions of moving and I wasn't about to ask her to step aside so I could thumb through the Earl Klugh records. I just told Record Man (that's what I call him) I'd be back in an hour.

there was a 350lb woman with a mullet and a Ace Frehley T-shirt just layin in the aisle...all over the records and sh*t.

Ha ha.. sounds like par for the course. I was in there the other week and this 18-yr-old kid was with his dad (older brother?), who was buying him some KISS action figures. Dad/Bro said, "I might as well get him what he wants 'cos he's enlisting in the army next month." Then the kid said "I didn't even vote for Bush."

Anyway you should have asked Sp*kel if Fat Frehley Fan #1 laying there blocking foot traffic wasn't a fire violation. I guarantee he would have lost his jester hat to kick her out right then and there.

BTW - thanks for coming out to The Fed the other night, misterc. You ever gone to Mooney's hiphop spot Four-Four? Always some amusing record talk especially around 5pm on Thursdays & Fridays when the new arrivals come in.

there was a 350lb woman with a mullet and a Ace Frehley T-shirt just layin in the aisle...all over the records and sh*t.

Ha ha.. sounds like par for the course. I was in there the other week and this 18-yr-old kid was with his dad (older brother?), who was buying him some KISS action figures. Dad/Bro said, "I might as well get him what he wants 'cos he's enlisting in the army next month." Then the kid said "I didn't even vote for Bush."

Anyway you should have asked Sp*kel if Fat Frehley Fan #1 laying there blocking foot traffic wasn't a fire violation. I guarantee he would have lost his jester hat to kick her out right then and there.

BTW - thanks for coming out to The Fed the other night, misterc. You ever gone to Mooney's hiphop spot Four-Four? Always some amusing record talk especially around 5pm on Thursdays & Fridays when the new arrivals come in.

Yeah I was just noticing his post. I used to go to their old store all the time when I used to play out. I've only been to the new one a couple of times. Those dudes are super chill though. Cept one time a kid went back to the listening station and proceeded to get his transform on. Guy at the counter was like, "Thank you, Super Duck Breaks will be 11.99." It was embarrassing for everyone present.

Oh yeah...I forgot to pick up the flyers for upcoming events so keep me posted.

Oh yeah...I forgot to pick up the flyers for upcoming events so keep me posted.

holler

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    So you're saying that you abetted the guy in screwing Al*x on this occasion as well?

Hahaha... I thought M*rco would be quick to defend himself... naw, he was able to restrain himself and left my holds behind, though he complained bitterly to me about it afterward.

Can't believe this thread is turning into NC Record Talk, up until recently Soulmarc and I were the only ones here...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I was in store once and a private dealer was in there talking to the owner:

"So how's things been"? (Store clerk)

"Great some real nice boy came over to my place and bought a few records from me and then offered to take me out to chinese food"! (Dealer)

"Wow!!!" (Store Clerk)

"From what I gather he is pretty big on the dj scene and calls himself "The Shadow"......... (Dealer)

Shit was hilarious..............................................................

Treated.